Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Suggestions for a Scottish Epic Adventure
  • fergal
    Free Member

It’s getting to the time of year, where I get the urge for a reasonably long(maybe a couple of days) Scottish adventure to blast away the cobwebs (in the spring). Last year I had a great time doing the mini tour of the Gorms, Linn of Dee to Aviemore via Glen Feshie, staying in the YHA then the pass of the calves over to Glen Derry this was a great trip. Would really like to do something in the North west Highlands, possibly Glen Shiel or Torridon, any ideas appreciated.

fergal
    Free Member

Glen Affrick is a firm favourite, taking in the trail, that some have touted as the best singletrack in the UK, surely it couldn’t live up to this moniker. There is a very remote YH up there, maybe worth a visit, but still looking for ideas for a longer expedition.

rickmeister

There is a circuit up past Iron Lodge, I think that gets you to the point furthest from any road in the UK (though I am happy to be corrected here), thats Torridon Way….

13thfloormonk

Rickmeister, would that be something like Killilan – Iron Lodge – Pait Lodge – Bendronaig Lodge – Glen Ling – Nonach Lodge – Killilan? Could call it the ‘Four Lodges Loop’ 8)

Sounds like an interesting wee loop, could even work in a visit to the Falls of Glomach and a stay in Maol Bhuidhe Bothy somehow…

scotroutes

Maol Bhuidhe was the destination of a trip I undertook after one of those “where on the UK mainland is furthest from a main road ” discussions. Be aware that the mapped track from Bendronaig to Pait disappears. Other than that, it was your loop in reverse.

13thfloormonk

Yeah, I’m just looking on geograph, looks like a grown in landrover track for quite some way then suddenly nothing! Definitely some hike-a-bike involved in that one, good luck Fergal! 😀

scotroutes

We cut straight across the Glen when the track petered out and made for the (excellent) bothy.

fergal
    Free Member

Anyone ridden past the falls of Glomach, Hanna Barnes rides through there on a vid, any idea where she starts, I don’t have a map handy

whitestone
    Free Member

@fergal There was a thread on here last year where someone reckoned it was one of the best bits of singletrack in the UK

13thfloormonk

You can access it from Loch Duich/Glen Shiel, at the foot of the descent I think you’re referring to when you say ‘best singletrack in the UK’.

You can stay at the remote youth hostel (Allt Beithe) in Glen Affric, climb up to the Gates of Affric (Bealach an Sgairne) descend towards Loch Duich but take a right turn up Bealach na Sroine which leads to the Falls. You could do the reverse of Scotroute’s suggestion and continue from the base of the falls past the Iron Lodge, past Maol Buidhe bothy, on towards Bendronaig lodge before finally descending to Attadale train station. You would need to work out some fancy transport logistics to get back to your start point though!

13thfloormonk

Oh, and I rode the Falls of Glomach singletrack, there are certainly some exceptional short sections of singletrack, wouldn’t consider it the best full trail I’d ever ridden though.

scotroutes

I’ve walked past the Falls of Glomach. You’d want to be hellish careful at the top!!! and don’t be tempted to take the shortcut through Gleann Gaorsaic from Alltbeithe.

13thfloormonk

Haha, I did that, I knew what I was letting myself in for though, sort of almost enjoyed it…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Suggestions for a Scottish Epic Adventure’ is closed to new replies.