Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Suggestions for a new (inexpensive) bike watch.
  • chrisgibson
    Free Member

OK birthday times are approaching and I think I may treat myself to a new watch for wearing when out riding. So I am asking for suggestions.

Currently I use an old digital watch – waterproof and easy to read with a timer – but it is starting to show signs of being battered.

So I am looking for something that is;

Inexpensive – it is going to get hammered so don’t want anything over £40 ish.
    Durable – it is going to be going out biking in all weather.
    Non-obtrusive – going to be riding in it so don’t want to be constantly reminded it is there.
    No GPS – I have a running GPS watch so don’t need another one and am currently having a go at giving up GPS and stats stuff (causing me to shake violently at times).

Any suggestions from people?

Thanks!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

You may want to change the title?
    People will be along to give you bike advice, not watch advice…

chrisgibson
    Free Member

Cheers, don’t know how I missed that.

MoreCashThanDash

Ignoring the mismatch between title and content, I went wild and spent £11.99 for Decathlon watch/stopwatch yesterday. The previous one did four years as my only daily watch for working, playing and riding. Not the most elegant, but smart enough.

MoreCashThanDash

I just assumed it was a Freudian slip 😉

donald
    Free Member

£5 cheap enough for you?

chrisgibson
    Free Member

donald – I used to get the casio’s for rowing back in another life, however I always found the strap would snap after about half a year. I know they are dirt cheap but it kind of put me off them a bit. Maybe I just have super abrasive sweat?

coatesy
    Free Member

Normally get about 18 months out of the straps on mine, they used to do a metal strapped one as well (not sure if they still do) for a few quid more, lasted much longer, but pulled the hairs off my wrist on a regular basis.

Northwind

My F91W’s light button is broken, making it pretty impractical for use as a detonator alarm . I could sell you the strap for £10 so you have a spare?

edhornby

Same button died on my al-qaeda timepiece as well..
    How about a cheap Seiko and a Velcro strap?

lee170
    Free Member

I think what you need is a G shock, they were half price at argos, slightly over budget at £60 but bulletproof,
    Look pretty cool to.

johnnystorm

Loads of Timex Expeditions around your budget:

Clicky for an example for 30 quid….

belugabob
    Free Member

+1 for Timex. (Wide range available)

I have one of their IronMan models – although they seem to have changed the range since I bought mine.

Used mine for Scuba diving, until I gave that up about 10 years ago, and have been using it for biking ever since.

It’s seen a lot of saltwater, mud, rain, rough handling on dive boats, & more ‘comedy falls’ than I’d care to mention, and it’s still going strong.
    Not bad for £25 and one replacement battery.

Quite a few of my diving buddies bought them because they were cheap to replace if something happened to them, but the only incident that I know about is one guy dropping his overboard in the Red Sea. (Right where the depth was about 200 meters too)

Would definitely go the same way if I ever need another.

jimw
    Free Member

I use one of these:
    http://www.watchshop.com//mens-lorus-titanium-watch-rxd425l8-p99938239.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=shoppingfeeds&source=froogle&gclid=CKXZkMbczcQCFcHMtAodMFAAIQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Light, strong, waterproof enough for biking .Ten years old, two new batteries and a strap later ( only changed because it got discoloured) it’s a good as new

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I use one of these for work in a prison, where it gets bashed off gates & prisoners…

http://www.watchshop.com/mens-casio-heavy-duty-combination-alarm-chronograph-watch-hdc-600-1bves-p99940561.html
    £23 & It’s got pointers & digital, 2 alarms, a phonebook, a timer, a stopwatch, world time & probably something else I don’t use. Don’t be fooled by the ‘heavy duty’ bit either, It’s quite unobtrusive.
    Waterproofish as well.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Swatch. Nice and light and some funky colours & designs.

chrisgibson
    Free Member

Cheers guys appreciate the input.

bertmacklin
    Free Member

I ordered one of these just a few hours ago for a biking watch. No idea what it’ll be like, but for less than a fiver I was prepared to take a punt.

matt_outandabout

I just went from Casio or Lorus cheapies to a Timex one – and it knocks the spots off them.

It is an ironman old skool thing, but it is so much clearer to view and simpler to operate. So far more resistant to scratches.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Suggestions for a new (inexpensive) bike watch.’ is closed to new replies.