Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Suggestions for 6' ish all mountain bike
  • ac505
    Free Member

I've been out of the scene for a year or and knowing that things have moved on (and everything from a year ago is clearly crap or so the marketing guys would tell us…) I'm looking to either build up a new bike or get something off the shelf via the bike to work scheme.

I'm currently riding a Yeti ASX, and used to own a Heckler but what is out there now worth looking at. I want to keep angles fairly relaxed so the likes of BlurLT's and other tighter angled bikes are out.

Cheers for the help.

wors

Blue pig with a 150mm fork, you know it makes sense!

costello
    Free Member

intense tracer vp,5.5./6 inch travel,nice slack h.a,pedals uphill REALLY well,or my other choice rocky mountain slayer sxc(super cross country),again 68.5 h.a and pedals uphill very well and is a wonder on the downs,
    this is just my personal experience from owning several 6 inch travel bikes including the r.m and intense,
    i hear good things about the current trek remedy and lapierre spicy/zesty also,i don't own these so can't give you an honest opinion though,
    happy hunting.

Bregante

Might be worth a gander at the heckler again as the frame price has just come down to£900 . Or the new SC Butcher

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

[pedant mode]
    yep, 6 foot should be enough to cope with all the mountain
    [/pedant mode]

ac505
    Free Member

well noticed, 6" would be a little closer to the mark. I've been looking at the Spicy, Butcher and my old fave Heckler so far. They all seem pretty similar on angles so I guess it's down to trying them. The heckler price does look tempting though………..

I always thought the Intense bikes were sharper angled than their SC cousins… I may also consider a nomad, wonder if I can still get one with 1.5 headset??

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

sorry, couldn't resist.

Haven't got much of a clue about the bikes listed here, but bang-per-buck the new Heckler price has got to be close to unbeatable?

Chase
    Free Member

I'll second a Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC. Climbs well, descends well. Not too many around either (and that's not a reflection on it been crap).

Bregante

Must admit always fancied a heckler after demoing one about 2yrs ago but worried I've been spoiled with a 66 deg head angle on my enduro when it comes to steep techy bits. Hecklers 68 isn't it? S'pose I need to demo somewhere more techy than llandegla next time?

oxnop
    Free Member

My LTc with 150's is not steep. 66.5 deg with 150 FiT RLC's

davy-g
    Free Member

Giant Reign X0 6.7" rear travel and 6.2" fork travel… I bought a 2008 model from Pauls Cycles… brilliant machine…lovin it… 8)

Trimix
    Free Member

Ive just custom built up a Transition Covert – I will be able to tell in a week what its like.

I test rode one in the shop and it was good – the custome bits Ive fitted wont change the way it feels, just details and the way it looks.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I tried the butcher and heckler back to back. Butcher felt too slack to me. Climbed okay, descended great if it was steep/fast, but on the gently sloping twisty stuff that makes up 90% of my riding it felt rubbish. Much preferred the heckler. Maybe everyones going a bit too far with this whole slack angled, short stem, wide bar trend at the moment?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

So are you planning on getting rid of the Yeti then?

peachos
    Free Member

Trimix – i hate you! REALLY want a covert.

new Norco Range looks good & getting good reviews, not sure if it'll be over here though.

ahwiles
    Free Member

HoratioHufnagel – Member

Maybe everyones going a bit too far with this whole slack angled, short stem, wide bar trend at the moment?

nah.

S-C didn't have a light, low and slack bike last year – the heckler's quite steep, and the bullit's heavy and steep.

those bikes are still available, but now there's the option of something less steep.

now 'steep' people have bikes they like, 'slack' people have bikes they like, happy days!

Oh, and to answer the OP: no-one's mention the Hemlock yet, so i will. – Hemlock.

Trimix
    Free Member

Peachos – to make it worse, if your ever in the Chilterns your welcome to have a go.

Ive got it custom painted and will be using the Hammerschmit thing, full Chris King, Thompson, Saint brakes, braided hoses, floating discs, bling bling.

Should be ready in a day or two.

peachos
    Free Member

that sounds awesome mate! what colour? although i'd be hard pressed to choose anything other than the metalic green…

Rickos
    Free Member

Full build Enduros are worth a look. £2000 for one of them (forget the model name) with good gear on it. But if you've got a good budget then why not get a Nicolai Helius AM and get some nice custom geometry and stuff. Frame and shock alone will be the same as the Enduro though!

honourablegeorge

Can deffo recommend the Spicy. Test rode a Transition Covert too, but the Spicy's by far the better bike.

ac505
    Free Member

barnsleymitch, yup the yeti is going just as soon as I figure out what to go for next. Shame as its a nice bike.
    I didn't realise slack head angle were back in trend, I just want something that will feel a little like the yeti at 66.5 (I think). Anybody have an idea what angle the heckler with something like a 36 Float up front would have? Canyou still get the Heckler with the DHX5 coil or is it just air (bbblllleeeuuuugggghhhhh) shocks now?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Now all I need to do is convince the wife… 😉

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

peachos, trimix's covert was last seen being ridden by lord lucan alongside shergar. it is a figment of trimix's imagination and he rides an ancient whyte whilst making "ooh look at my new bike" noises. Its rather tragic.

to the OP the Covert does look (from web pics, never seen one in the metal. so that makes 2 of us eh trimix) like a nice bike and I was surprised its the same price as the "mid range" SC butcher/nickels.
    Hecklers are blinding value at their new price, I cant see why anyone would buy the equivalent Orange when you could get a heckler and nice fork for the same price.

1981miked
    Free Member

What about a Santacruz Bullit.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Norco Fluid LT. HA is around 66.5, I did the Mega and 2 weeks in the alps and full on DH race on mine and it just munched it up. It's a lot of fun. Singletrack loved it, as did MBUK.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_A8w6G_CyHUE/S9nRl2jO68I/AAAAAAAAAk8/yvw9jl7r5yI/s640/norco%20002.jpg

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Suggestions for 6' ish all mountain bike’ is closed to new replies.