Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Suggest the best descent in calderdale (calderdale specific..obviously!!!)
  • rockhopper70

Out last night on a usual weekly run. Ended up at Norland Moor and dropped down to Kebroyd. Steep and fairly fast but over far too soon. I want a suggestion for a long, flowing descent in my area that makes the efforts of climbing up, for example Mytholmroyd to Stoodley Pike or Kebs worth the downs. I have a few but there must be some gems out there hidden away!

oxnop
    Free Member

I quite like the descent down to lumb bridge from colden – nice drifting on the switchbacks.

Also the Peckett well descent (making sure you fork right) is really nice when it's damp!

Neither are particularly long descents – but I don't think you have the height in Calderdale to achieve a proper long descent- I'd like to be proved wrong though!

rockhopper70

fingers crossed then oxnop…someone might have a gem. We have the hills so there must be one somewhere!

nbt

I really enjoyed the descent from High Brown Knoll to Luddenden Dean that we did on Ton's ride last year. It was almost dry, then, too

TheSanityAssassin

Stake Lane down into Cragg Vale, Mytholmroyd is a fun-filled, deep gullied, rock-fest.

oopnorth
    Free Member

Top of Norland Moor all the way down to Hollas Bridge at Copley is awesome, fast & rocky!!! A couple of link up roads / tracks but its all downhill.

Useful thread this.

Me and seven other 'Calderdale virgins' are coming over from the Isle of Wight to do a Peaks/ Wharncliffe/ Lee Quarry/ Todmorden week.

We've already worked out there must be more to it than the latest MBR route (which looks like a shortened version of the MT loop)

So we'll use all the info plus the stuff in Issue 28 to make up a decent route.

(Cue the 'no virgins in Calderdale' gag)

ton

mate, if you want a guide round a nice route let me know.. 8)

mate, if you want a guide round a nice route let me know

We're staying overnight in Tod Weds June 30th having done Lee Quarry that day. So that's most of Thursday July 1st in Calderdale before the dreaded M6 trip home.

rockhopper70

good response chaps…are these all flowing singletrack that is lasting or flat out drop downs over in a jiffy??????…looking for the former.

rockhopper70

very wet out on the trails tonight….drop down from may's shop was a puddle dodger! still looking for those elusive trails!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Not done it for a while but Stakes Lane is seriously good.
    High Brow Knoll into the top of Luddenden Dean and then a short climb back up followed by fast flowy singletrack, short farm track section, cheeky sweepy section and then into Peckett Well must be one of my favourites.

Down Halifax end of the valley, Headless Chicken is an obvious highlight and when I pull my finger out and do some clearing, the descent down from the trig point on Norland all the way to Clay House at West Vale will be something to behold (look on a map – thats a loooooong way!!!). Loads of super steep tech stuff in and around North Dean etc though.

Mugboo

DBW – was that you who did that little Copley vid? Me and mate pushed up that trail and had a look. Not ridden it yet as it's much steeper than it looks and always wet! Respect!

Where's Stakes Lane?

We've had a good explore to the left of Copley bank( looking up hill) and been across the path on the right on the way back from norland moor. Is this side worth a good look? Also is there a good descent from norland towards Hollas bridge or Sowerby?

taka
    Free Member

i like that one coming down from blackshaw head towards callis bridge havent got a clue what its called though

m4dmatt
    Free Member

DBW – is headless chicken the elland park woods run? your post about local routes seems a pretty good ride. might have to get out on a local ride if youre up for it.

mugboo – "mate" oh i feel as privileged as danny obviously is…

Vortexracing

I really enjoyed the descent from High Brown Knoll to Luddenden Dean that we did on Ton's ride last year. It was almost dry, then, too

was that the one that we turned right off the road from, it got very steep very quick?

fantastic drop that one I have to agree

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Mugboo – no, not me although that trail is usually included on every one of my rides as its on my way home from Norland etc.

Stakes Lane comes off Rishworth Moor into Mytholmroyd near the station. Its named on google maps etc and is a BW. You can start right up on the moor with loads of gravelled doubletrack stuff, then the top of the fun stuff starts with singletrack (usually with a stream running down it!) and then opens up into some fast cobbles that quickly give way to a rock fest littered with drops and gulleys. Certainly testing last time I went down it.

Decent drop down from Norland is to drop off the edge of the moor and head towards the old Blue Ball pub. Just after that on the left is a decent BW descent (Donkey Drop) which is relatively short but worth a go. Turn right at the road at the bottom and then a few minutes climbing will get you back to the house on the corner. Here you can either go to the right and after the half built house is a cheeky little but lethal descent. Wet cobbles hidden under grass. I think I've crashed on this short bit of trail more than every other trail in the UK put together! And yet I keep on riding it! At the end of this, cross the road (or miss the lethal bit and go to the left of the house at the junction to reach it) and enter the Wireworks descent (BW). Head down the cobbles and after 50m or so the trail branches off just before the cobbles exit the woods. This is good – shady top bit where its all been worn, mega fast middle section with some nice turns and then a rocky bit at the bottom which you usually hit at warp speed. This spits you out at Hollas Bridge.

All the stuff to the east of Copley Bank / Sh*t Spreader Hill is cheeky cheeky but its there to be found. Not giving much away on a public forum but drop me a line if you want more specific directions. Good clue though – head to the top, take the footpath and take whichever option heading downwards takes your fancy. The top trail (footpath) right to the far end, down the steps, veer left, through the switchbacks and drop onto the main path and turn right to West Vale is a decent blat though.

Might organise a ride around our end of the valley sometime if anyone fancies a jaunt?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

m4dmatt – yes. The top one though… none of this 'manufactured' downhill rubbish. Au natural sweet, buff singletrack heaven.

Happy to do that ride I described in that post. Its a cracker and I've not had a chance to do it this year yet!

Mugboo

We are planning to meet at the Barge & Barrel at 7 on wed night if your about?

cheese@4p

I totally second all that DaveyBoy posted especially Headless Chicken and the stuff down Copley/Northdean Woods for all manner of fun.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I put my little lad to bed at half 7 so I'm restricted on week nights to 90 minute rides between 8ish and dark. Was planning on potentially getting out tomorrow night for a bit though so might bump into you if you're planning on heading in the direction of Norland etc?

elaineanne
    Free Member

this is short but hellish steep

Mugboo

Yep, planning on going up through Copley woods and looping round norland before heading down to hollas, maybe.
    One orange Orange crush, a black On One summer season and a rare as hens teeth Lotus carbon fibre classic ridden by a complete loon!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Cool. Unless I get my Blur 4X back up and running in time, I'll be on a raw 456SS with a right mish mash of parts. Probably cursing my 1×9 setup and its lack of chain device as I'm putting the chain back on for the 15th time that ride!

barney
    Free Member

I'd love to join you for a ride sometime, guys – can't ride tomorrow, unfortunately. I'm in Holywell Green.

Mugboo

I just ordered a couple of them blackspire stingers off crc but not in stock till sept!

Sick of losing chains and hoping to make bikes a little quieter..

rockhopper70

great ideas chaps…it's my turn to choose the route next week when my blackshaw head riding buddy comes to me so I might try and incorporate these into a mini killer loop from Sowerby Bridge.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Suggest the best descent in calderdale (calderdale specific..obviously!!!)’ is closed to new replies.