Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Suggest me a pub for lunch on Sunday, in the Swindon area.
  • Ambrose

Hi Guys. I’ve been entrusted with finding a decent pub for lunch on Sunday. I’m traveling from west Wales to meet my sister who’s driving from Ashford, Kent. Swindon seems to be about half way for each of us. Any suggestions?

richardk
    Free Member

Weighbridge in West Swindon
    Three Crowns in Malmesbury
    Red Lion in Cricklade if you can come that far off the motorway
    Four Pillars Hotel nr South Cerney, or the adjoining Old Boathouse

CountZero

Not far off the motorway, and almost due south of Swindon, there’s the Red Lion in Avebury, plus you get to be able to wander round the stone circle.

Ambrose

RichardK, many thanks for that. What about the Five Bells, Royal Wooton Bassett? It is pretty much exactly half way- any experiences of the place?

Ambrose

Thanks CZ, Avebury is great, I haven’t been for years…

richardk
    Free Member

Five Bells in Royal Wootton Bassett is fantastic for a lunchtime drink in the week – proper beers, roaring fire and snack type lunch. Most of our marketing planning is done there… Not sure what it does for Sunday lunch (roasts), if they do them, then they will be excellent!

uponthedowns
    Free Member

The Royal Oak in Bishopstone 5 miles from J15. Better grub than the Red Lion Avebury but its not in the middle of a henge although Waylands Smithy Neolithic chambered barrow is just up the hill from it on the Ridgeway.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, the Oik would be my pick as well.

Best to book in advance, and don’t let Tim give you any stick!

Hoff

The Outside Chance in Manton (Marlborough) – not far from Avebury if you want a walk & Marlborough town is nice too Pop into the Lamb for a pint while you’re there

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Lamb?

Well, I can remember a few of the nights I spent there, but not many! 6X tapped from the wood, glorious.

Ambrose

The Five Bells did a sterling job. Another reason to like Royal Wootton Bassett

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Suggest me a pub for lunch on Sunday, in the Swindon area.’ is closed to new replies.