Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Suggest me a new job/career
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’ve spent the last 17 years working for a company in London project managing theatrical lighting for corporate events. It’s something I’m good at, and I enjoy the process, even if the end product is something I don’t always agree with, and I’ve worked along side some very cool people. However, it’s not exactly stress-free or anything like normal hours…

3 years ago, the missus and I moved up to Sheffield, which was a massive increase in life quality. I still work for the London company – work from home 3 days a week, office for the other 2. It’s avoided me having a nervous breakdown, but the travel and the sleeping on floors is starting to get wearing. I’m also getting increasingly dissatisfied with the way the company is being run and some of its ethics.

Now the events industry doesn’t really exist in the same way up here. I could go freelance, but I’d need to do 4+ 12hr days/week and travel all across the north of england to make similar money, and that would be a significant lifestyle downgrade.

So I’m looking for a new career, but buggered if I know what. I have a brain and I’m not afraid to use it, I’m physically able and pretty good with my hands, I’m self motivated. I think like an engineer, but have no qualifications that way, I have a (geology) degree that’s not worth the paper it’s written on, plus a few plant operator tickets. I’m not great with client facing, and I dislike having to deal with money, as that gets real stressful, real quick IME.

I don’t have the option to take a couple of years off to retrain, as I don’t have a big enough financial buffer behind me to allow that (and I’m unlikely to), and I need to pull in at least £30k for it to be worth making the change.

I have absolutely no idea what I can do, or how to go about finding it. I’m not “normally” motivated, but if there’s an idea or a person to follow that I believe in, I’ll move heaven and eath to make stuff happen. If not I tend to drift.

Typing “jobs Sheffield” into google, is about as far as I can see for job hunting. Theoretically I can do anything, but I feel qualified for nothing. The only other requirement I can think of is that the commute is bikeable…

Ideas…?

Thanks!

weeksy

Motorbike racer.

rewski
    Free Member

A novelist

Pieface

A couple of years ago these guys were desperate for people, not sure if they still are but to make the money may mean a lot of travel.

Offices in Woodseats –

http://www.eurosafesolutions.com/en

Ignore the guff on the vacancies page,I know some of the people that have worked there

wwaswas

To try and get into a completely new work environment and still make £30k plus might be a big ask?

Maybe focus on something in your current job (project management?) that is transferable skill and try and look for stuff in that area?

slimjim78
    Free Member

Theoretically I can do anything, but I feel qualified for nothing.

Damn bro, that’s me to a tee.

Finding it so hard to commit in any direction.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Pieface – that looks very intersting – right up my street! I do a lot of work at height stuff…

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Not sure how busy they are oop north but Siemens may be worth a try on the wind turbines. Excellent company to work for and good progression possibilities. If you have a working at height permit you have an advantage

cynic-al
    Free Member

slimjim78 – Member

Theoretically I can do anything, but I feel qualified for nothing

.[/quote]

*sticks hand up*

poolman
    Free Member

Thats me too – I only ever wanted to run a cafe but can’t afford to.

Good luck sorry I cant help.

Northwind

Become an astronaut. Or a fire engine.

Question- do you actually want out of the business? Or do you just feel that the business isn’t doing what you want it to? My brother’s in the same trade, self employed, it took a while but he’s now got a fair bit of choice in what jobs he takes, he travels when he wants to places that look interesting. Diversifying into fireworks helped that a lot I think.

zoo200
    Free Member

Open a bike shop!

enfht
    Free Member

German Goo Girl.

Do not google this.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Use your Geology degree to Master in Petrochemical Engineering. Get a job in Aberdeen. Eventually earn silly money that will make your 30k ideal sound hilariously quaint. Then divorce your missus and blow it all on coke and hookers.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Move closer to London so you don’t have a stupid commute/lack of work-life balance. I’m sure there are places that are easier to get to that would offer what Sheffield does? Its not even on a proper main line train route to London…

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Lion Tamer?

scotroutes

rewski – I lolled

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’m sure there are places that are easier to get to that would offer what Sheffield does?

I can ride into the Peaks from my doorstep. 15 minutes from Stanage on the road bike. 5 minutes from Ecclesall woods/20 minutes from Blacka off road. Nuff said, really… (this is a much better work-life balance than I used to have. Driving 7 hours to do a 5 hour ride 3 weeks out of 5, and working longer hours to boot).

Question- do you actually want out of the business?

Not per se. If I could walk into a full time production role, I’d be pretty happy, but I’m not mentally cut out to deal with the financial uncertainties of freelancing (I’m paranoid about money at the best of times), and the default site “day” is 12 hours. To do that, plus having to travel to and from site (which could be Manchester, Leeds, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Notts, Brum) on top of that, and at my own cost, day in, day out doesn’t leave much time for a life. (Travel isn’t a major problem so long as I’m not paying for it, neither are long hours, so long as I either get paid or get TOIL).

brooess
    Free Member

been there, done that – in advertising agencies in London.

Was recommended this book: How To Find A Job You Love

which takes you through a process of actively looking at your own strengths, preferences and talents and from that, designing the job you really want to do (rather than the more usual passive process of looking through a list of job ads)

For me the process ended up by doing something very similar but as a contractor rather than permanent, and at the thinking/planning stage rather than delivery. The book reassured me that I had been right all along with what I wanted to do and the main enabler was doing this freelance – I let go of a huge amount of stuff and just get on with the work.

The ‘I can do anything’ attitude can stand you in very good stead as a freelancer – the permies all sit around saying ‘not my job’ or worrying about upsetting people and politics/not breaking the ‘company code’ and you can just steam in, get it all done, take the money home while everyone sits around singing your praises 🙂

waveydavey
    Free Member

Find something that matches your personality and desires.

I moved from engineering to software development 13 years ago, and have never looked back.
    I always wanted to really know how things work, hence my interest in engineering. But when I found the endless possibilties in software I was hooked. It’s always changing and there is always new stuff to learn, if you like it, you will never be bored. Not for everyone I admit, but pay is decent enough. I am now at the stage I can honestly pick and choose jobs as there is a skill shortage, and you don’t always need a degree.

edward2000
    Free Member

Project management experience, plant operations experience, try civil engineering contractors.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Seriously, have you thought about being a teacher?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Go build wells and bridges in Africa. If you can’t think of what to do job wise now, then use your time to do something for others and see the world at the same time.

leffeboy

Do not google this

i wish people wouldn’t write this 🙁 .Can’t we get the swear filter to turn it into something less enticing
    resist, resist…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Suggest me a new job/career’ is closed to new replies.