Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Suggest a replacement for Citroen Berlingo
  • rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

We've got a Berlingo 1.9 TDi MK II shape.

It's starting to have some intermittent electrical problems and has also had to have the gear box rebuilt after it lost 5th gear. I think it might be time to change cars.

It's our only vehicle so a bit of a workhorse. My wife uses it to drive to work – 16 miles each way most days during term time.

We also use it for a few 200+ miles each way trips each year for my work and holidays etc.

Weekends it often gets used like a van for carting stuff about.

Neither of us are interested in performance, we just want to get from A to B at a leisurely pace.

We've also got 2 small kids + all their gear.

What we like about the Berlingo:

Lifting back door – useful for getting changed under in the wet, also good for sitting in the boot to eat sarnies etc.

Plenty room to get loads of camping gear inside.

Sliding rear doors – good for getting kids in and out.

Not too smart inside for us to worry about with muddy boots etc.

Reasonably economical.

I'd like to spend less than 10K on a replacement. Current car was second hand and cost 5K, but at 3 years old it was out of warranty when the gear box cracked up. Might spend more if there was some compelling reason. Would be quite happy to spend less on something that was good value.

Suggestions?

chrissyboy
    Free Member

New Berlingo?

twinklydave

I've ben wondering the same thing – my Berlingo's on it's way out and is getting to the point where fixing things will end up costing far more than it's worth (it cost me just under £3k 3 years ago, so it's done alright give the hard life it's had)…

…but I've struggled to find anything other than another Berlingo that would do everything as well.

I've looked at the Skoda Roomster, but that still seems too small, big 7 seater MPVs tend to be stupidly expensive for what's going to be, essentially, a bike transporter (but can't be a van as the missus won't drive a van). Other brands' versions of the Berlingo (Doblo, Kangoo etc) don't seem to offer anything the Citroen doesn't already have – and generally cost more

so..err…another Berlingo?!

sweepy
    Free Member

Dont get a roomster without looking at one carefully, we replaced a berlingo with a roomster, and while the roomster has been much more reliable its smaller with a high lip on the back door which makes loading a right pain in the jacksy.

midgebait
    Free Member

New Berlingo. Tonkatoytastic 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

My sister has a Roomster, should be renamed NaeRoomSir.

project
    Free Member

Fiat Doblo, 54 to the gallon usually loaded upce responsive engine, plenty of room, crap radio,windows dont go right down into the door,large windscreen so you get a lot of sunshine,otherwise a great van and cheap to buy.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Skoda yeti worth a look, not sre how deep (height wise) they are

mugsys_m8

We're on our 3rd Berlingo. 1st was a van. 2nd was the Mk11 car. Both non HDi diesels. To be honest I wasn't massively in love with the car, it did ok, but I missed the van too much I guess (kids eh!)

Our 3rd, we bought brand new has made me re fall in love with the berlingo. (others were 2nd hand, nearly new). It's a Rossignol limited version of the XTR (came with skis). Not sure if it was brought into the UK. Anyway it's fantastic. The xtr verison is a must really as rear seats are all individual that can be very easily clipped in and out, rather than unbolted. Comes with light off road pretensions (lattitude tyres which we hope will mean that we don't need winter tyres until we need to replace, multi mode esp, bash guards, higher suspension etc etc. World apart from the old berlingo. A LOT more expensive though. The xtr's do have a history of suspension clonks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Suggest a replacement for Citroen Berlingo’ is closed to new replies.