Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Suggest a new rear tyre for me please
  • stayhigh

Morning All

I’m currently running Bontrager XR1 2.1 rear tyre on my Heckler and have been pleased with its fast rolling performance. When I was out riding on sunday there was lots of surface mud around from the recent rain which caused the rear end to become very unpredictable and washed out three times. The final time was very painful and has left me with a rather bruised and gashed open knee 🙁

All of this leads me to the everybodies favourite moon on a stick question of what fast yet grippy when it needs to tyre for the rear please?

Cheers all 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

Why are you blaming it on the tyres?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Becasue they’re a perfectly good thing to blame it on?

FWIW I run a Maxxis semi-slick high-roller most of the year and enjoy sliding arround a bit. Normal high rollers (2.35, SPC, maxxpro/60a) are also pretty good for rolling/grip.

stayhigh

Because there was no grip whatsoever from the rear on any of the incidents where the rear washed out. Its a great tyre for dry conditions but the slighest hint of wet and it becomes lethal.

Hence the above request.

Its nice to have a bit of drifty rear end action from time to time but not so much that it results in injury.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I would recommend a fast rolling tyre like the Maxxis Larsen TT – good all rounder apart from sticky mud 🙂

Kryton57

The singletrack I was riding was much the same – the hot weather followed by short sharp rain showers causes a surface level mud only – go back tomorrow and itll be gone. This cause the tyres to “skate” on the loose stuff as they cant bite into the mud.

Some’ll be worse than others but stick with what you and learn to cope with it until the conditions change “properly” IMO……

stayhigh

Larsens where on my list of tyres along with SM8’s & the above XR1.

I had also thought of going with a Crossmark or maybe looking to On Ones Schwalbe sale.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Its nice to have a bit of nifty rear end action from time to time…

FTFY 😆

emac65
    Free Member

Racing Ralph -Been riding with one on the back for the last few months with no problems.Did a very wet & muddy Rough Ride this year with it on,again with no problems….

abennell
    Free Member

i use mud x all year round and rate them, give them a try, get the 2.0 opposed to the 1.8 as they are quite narrow anyway

nicko74

If Mud X came in 2.1 or 2.2 I’d go for them every time, but I guess that defeats their purpose as a Mud tyre.

Have you considered Bonty’s XR2 or 3? I think they’re supposed to be more mud-worthy without being the Mud X.

stayhigh

I’ve got 2.0 Mud X’s for the winter time which are great. It was on the strength of them I went for the XR1. I looked at the XDX,it has a similar look to the Mud X with a smaller profile so perhaps the same good grip but still with a good rolling speed?

Oh where has my moon a stick gone lol

montylikesbeer

Advantage all year round for me, it just works

seosamh77
    Free Member

tested my new nobby nics today in some mud, great i thought.

chiefgrooveguru

Bontrager XR4. Rolls faster than it looks (keep it the front way round). Grips as well as it looks. You’ll need plenty of clearance though, and an equally grippy front tyre to avoid nasty washouts…

stayhigh

How do people find Racing Rons?

tony24
    Free Member

A vote for advantage on the back seems great for me so far 2.1 on the back 2.3 on the front

Dancake
    Free Member

Always have Advantages on the back now.

Used to run a Larsen, but found it would spin up too easily trying to get up anything damp

Northwind

Specialized Eskar 2.3 is a good one… Knobby enough to find traction in mud, fat enough to be nice on everything else, reasomably quick… Not massively sticky but when it does slide it slides nicely and regains grip better than any other tyre I’ve used. And light, for the size and durability. Lasts well too.

chutney13
    Free Member

Another vote for advantage on rear.

stayhigh

I have an advantage on the front which rolls well. I’m still not entirely convinced with it though as I find the cornering can be rather wooden/draggy feeling at times.

I’m leaning to either a Racing Ralph or a Rocket Ron, which do people find better?

br
    Free Member

I run a Larsen rear (Advent front), and had slippery conditions (Chilterns) last Sunday – tbh I just dropped the pressures from 30psi to 25psi; sorted.

julianwilson
    Free Member

do they still make bontrager big earl wet’s? A bit like a big volume mud x in nterms of sticky compound and wider spaced knobs (different shape knobbles, mind), but be wary of ‘outgripping’ your front tyre.

I kept meaning all winter to change my now-balding SB8 on the back, still haven’t got round to it yet so i guess that must be pretty ok.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Suggest a new rear tyre for me please’ is closed to new replies.