Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Sugar rush myth or truth
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Was talking to friends yesterday and the subject of “sugar rush” came up. they said it was a myth and can’t happen, pancreas producing insulin etc, I said I think it does happen due to my own experiences.

So STW exerts, over to you. Who is right?

soobalias
    Free Member

if change in blood sugar level = rush, yes
    is it comparable to adrenaline or narcotics, no

subjective?

grum
    Free Member

There’s zero evidence for the popular concept that kids get hyper due to eating sugar.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Apart from the fact my kids are hyper after they’ve eaten. I don’t get a sugar rush but my kids behaviour definitely changes after they’ve eaten. their energy levels are definitely elevated. Maybe the clever men in white lab coats should come round to my house before and after meal time to gather their evidence.

grum
    Free Member

Subjective perceptions aren’t the same as evidence.

http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/busting-sugar-hyperactivity-myth

bruneep

I can loan you a small child of a friend who will quickly de bunk that statement.

CaptJon
    Free Member

wobbliscott – Member
    Apart from the fact my kids are hyper after they’ve eaten. I don’t get a sugar rush but my kids behaviour definitely changes after they’ve eaten. their energy levels are definitely elevated. Maybe the clever men in white lab coats should come round to my house before and after meal time to gather their evidence.

Is it more to do with: children playing –> getting tired –> have some food and a rest –> recover –> start playing again

Drac

It’s bollocks. Kids get hyper for all sorts of reasons. My youngest is this am as she’s off to see all the family soon. No sugar has been consumed.

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/common-science-myths-most-people-believe

bruneep

well thats that then….. I’m off to his house this afternoon will stop off at Tesco to get easter eggs to load the small child up and tell parents its all bollocks.

Drac

Or buy them a toy and just see how hyper they get anyway. They get hyper at the overwhelming excitement of getting a gift. Kids are far more emotional than adults. Hence why they cry for no apparent reason, shit themselves at something not particularly scary and why Xmas is more special with young kinds.

grum
    Free Member

I can loan you a small child of a friend who will quickly de bunk that statement.

Do I really have to quote myself? Subjective perceptions aren’t the same as evidence.

Did you read the link I posted?

Harry_the_Spider

Do I really have to quote myself? Subjective perceptions aren’t the same as evidence.

Did you read the link I posted?

Oh it must be true, the internet says so.

Whatever, my lad behaves really badly after sugar. My daughter, who is type 1 diabetic does not.

grum
    Free Member

Oh it must be true, the internet says so.

Well actually, it must be true because peer-reviewed research says it’s true rather than just going along with a popular urban myth and subjective anecdotal ‘evidence’.

Your lad probably behaves worse than your daughter after sugar because you expect him to and there’s a ready-made excuse for it.

Seriously, please read this:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2014/feb/25/do-children-really-get-sugar-rush-hyperactivity

Cognitive biases are real and powerful and falling for them doesn’t make you an idiot.

Harry_the_Spider

Your lad probably behaves worse than your daughter after sugar because you expect him to and there’s a ready-made excuse for it.

No. He just behaves like an absolute chopper when he’s full of sugar. He did even before she was born.

When he’s older he can join the army and the can feed him Skittles. Any conflict will be resolved in bloody fashion within the hour.

Klunk
    Free Member

don’t know about sugar rush, but beer rush is for real ! 🙂

grum
    Free Member

No. He just behaves like an absolute chopper when he’s full of sugar.

It’s almost certainly not the sugar that’s causing him to act like that. I believe there’s some evidence that food colouring in sweets etc might have some impact but as in the article I linked to above there has been dozens of scientific studies into this and none have shown any link between sugar and children’s behaviour, using double blind tests with placebos etc.

nickc

I used to make flapjack for kids that had little or no sugar, (some raisins and apple juice) and they would go mental after it.

Houns

I’m currently hiding. I’m in a small house with 3 under 10 children who have consumed nothing but chocolate today.

Contemplating digging a huge pit in the garden to bury them

Help. Me.

ampthill

Eaten doesn’t equal eaten sugar

The research shows that kids are no more hyper after a sugary meal compared to a low sugar meal

molgrips
    Free Member

Sugar makes you happy. Kids act hyper when they are happy. So indirectly, it could be causing it.

As for sugar rush, I believe there is a lag between sugar entering your bloodstream and the pancreas secreting insulin.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Sugar makes you happy.

Why ?

I’m not doubting you btw.

bigjim

some kids at my school used to snort lots of sugar through straws, it is an established ‘thing’ but not sure what the result feels like as I preferred Diamond White and soap bar.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sugar makes some people happpy, probably not all, because it tastes good and perhaps for other neurological reasons I don’t know

elliott-20
    Free Member

Scientifically no. But in real life my kids go mental after sugary treats. There is definitely a psychological ‘rush’.

BTW I’ve been on a sugar free diet for the past 4 weeks, (did it to support Mrs Elliott-20), and I can honestly say I’ve never felt so ‘refreshed’. Waking up is easier, no more afternoon slumps or the need for a mid-morning pick-me-up. Less headaches and I’ve lost about 6 pounds doing practically nothing!

Sugar is bad, and it certainly effects us a lot. So going back on topic, I believe there is such a thing as a sugar ‘rush’. A physiological and psychological reaction, but it can depend upon many other factors that a controlled study might not be able to recreate.

footflaps

I’ve been on a sugar free diet for the past 4 weeks

How strict e.g. do you avoid fruit etc?

soobalias
    Free Member

so who funded all that wonderful scientific work, the peer reviews the double blind placebo testing bit, cant have been cheap

its just your link really doesn’t make that clear

in fact a quick scan and it seems to be all 20+ years old

elliott-20
    Free Member

How strict e.g. do you avoid fruit etc?

According to ‘guidelines’, no fruit for a couple of months (not that I ate loads of the stuff anyway) as fructose is difficult to digest. Ideally it should be low carbs as well but I’m not going to mad on it and I still need the odd sandwich.

After the 2 months we’ll start introducing fruit again. it’s all about changing your palette as much as anything.

I was given a coffee with a sugar in it the other day by mistake. Tasted nasty. 😕

molgrips
    Free Member

After having iDieted here and there, but also experimented with riding fasted in the mornings, I can no longer stomach much sugar or even carbs, whereas I used to enjoy eating loads of both. Perhaps a change in gut flora, maybe. I think the latter had much more impact than the former – either that or it’s a long term effect of both.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Sugar rush myth or truth’ is closed to new replies.