Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Sugar
  • adsh
    Free Member

There seems to be a LOT of bad press about sugar, carbohydrate and their effect on health at the moment. Starting to talk about the fat building effects, liver issues blah blah. Latest appears to be some research on fructose. Can’t I eat an apple now?

I’ve always assumed this only applies to other people ie fat biffas and couch potato types. As an active skinny as a rake type doing a lot of training this doesn’t apply to me right?

But does it? My diet is massively carbohydrate oriented for the training I do.

whitestone
    Free Member

It’s all massively complicated.

We’ve had a couple of million years of evolution to adapt to a generally vegetarian diet with the occasional kill to provide meat. Might take a while to adapt to highly processed foods that make up an increasing proportion of our modern diet.

Basically if mum hasn’t been to Iceland then a raid on the fridge/freezer will be fine.

allan23
    Free Member

Yup, it’s complicated.

Eat what you want and learn to watch for the signs. A few years ago I was falling asleep a lot on the sofa. Home from work and out like a light.

All part of getting older, except when it was the first signs of diabetes, along with a couple of midge bites that took months to heal and restless, jumpy legs. Since getting it I’ve learned that the TV and Media portrayal that diabetes is a big fat biffa watching telly thing is fairly misleading.

If you’re unlucky enough to have the genes for a pancreas that gives up in your 40s then a high carb diet will be bad no matter how active – although being active you’ll probably fair better.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Its all BS as usual. There is nothing wrong with sugar, or fat for that matter, as a part of a healthy balanced diet. Its the healthy balanced diet thing that most people struggle with. A healthy balanced diet requires some effort in getting fresh produce regularly and actually making somehting to eat, whcih is incompatable with many peoples busy lives on the go and eating on the hoof.

slowoldman

Might take a while to adapt to highly processed foods that make up an increasing proportion of our modern diet.

Yup. As far as possible, prepare your own fresh food.

adsh
    Free Member

I prepare my own low fat flapjacks and eat them fresh – is this what you mean?

midlifecrashes

It’s low fat beer and chips with no added sugar for me from now on.

kayak23

Oh, thought this were about Bob Mould.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHnFIaLp_ys[/video]

razorrazoo

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Great tune.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Sugar’ is closed to new replies.