Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • sufferfest Q
  • turneround

looking at spicing up the turbo sessions and thinking of going sufferfest. anyone a fan of this and what would be a good starter session?
    cheers

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Yes, I’ve got a couple.
    I used to ride the turbo with just some suitable fast music on and try and match my cadence, but it rapidly goes boring. Sufferfest makes it bearable (I’d never describe it as fun)

I’ve got the Wretched for a short blast, and Blender for when I want a bit more variety. i only use them once a week for a few months of the year, so not so bored that I need more vids yet.

turneround

cheers

iamsporticus
    Free Member

I can heartily recommend hell hath no fury for the few times I decide it’s just too nasty to gear up with goretex and lights

Pretty decent 2×20 workout
    With extras 🙂

scotroutes

And best way to get them? Purchase off website or sign up to Strava Premium?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Have a look at TrainerRoad too. Makes interval training on the turbo more interesting (and likely more effective too if using power.) It also sync’s up with Sufferfest videos and gives you specific power targets based on your threshold that match the action in the video.

Edit…

I’d just buy the videos. At least you still have them if you decide Strava Premium is not for you. And I don’t think the Strava version works with TrainerRoad.

davetrave
    Free Member

Mr Blobby +1.

Check the TrainerRoad website to see if they support your turbo – you can train to virtual power then, quite useful if you’re in to that kind of thing…

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Another vote for trainer road, nice selection of plans too so you can work to a target without having to work out which workouts to do. Combined with the Sufferfests it really is a good system. I always struggled to ride at 7.5/10 of my output, some days this is more than others so to have a graph to follow is great, especially when drilling yourself to the floor and dribbling all over the place.

cookeaa

I’ve got Strava Premium and I’ve not tried the Sufferfest vids they have on there, there’s only a couple I think… I might give one a go, does it count as actual miles covered? (I’ve got my 500 a month goal to think of see)

Travis

Don’t think trainer miles are covered in the Challenges.

titusrider
    Free Member

another big fan here, my advice if you buy a small selection is get a long one, a short one and one in the middle so you can choose based on how long you have.

Local hero was my first one, its was a good intro 🙂

what hardly anyone says is how funny they are! the first time ive watched all of mine ive cracked up at one of the ‘motivational messages’

MikeWW
    Free Member

I think Fight Club is a good one to start with.

Would probably then go for Downward Spiral

For a longer one Blender ( I hr 40 mins) has a mix of everything

bigG
    Free Member

Fan of the sufferfest, and my personal favourites are Angels and Hunted. Both work well for me at about an hour.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’m a fan – keeps me sane over winter, plus it really helps bring on the fitness. I tend to slow down over winter & they have kept me topped up.

Tend to swear and sweat a lot. Downward Spiral is disgusting. As is A Very Dark Place.

turneround

ok, bought ‘angels’ yesterday and tried it out with and early morning session in the garage. All i can say is you guys must be right wimps if you think its hard……well thats what i’m gonna tell my club mates in reality i hadn’t sweated that much since my last visit to Space in ibiza in 1997. Its brought a new dimension to my turbo sessions and makes you work past your normal level. I was going to opt for a fancy tacx VR machine but think this will do and so much cheaper 🙂

TiRed

Now try Downward Spiral. After the firsr rep you’ll be telling yourself you won’t finish the session. But you will 😈

njee20
    Free Member

I find Angels harder than Downward Spiral.

warton
    Free Member

angels and downward spiral for me

the feeling that you’re definitely going to be sick halfway through the 2nd set on downward spiral never goes away. no matter how many times you do it.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ive got Angels, Revolver and The Hunted.

The Hunted never really gets used as I find it similar but not as good as Angels.

I like Revolver as its shorter and as been updated recently so the video isnt all blocky (unlike angels)

Or has ANgels been updated now?

turneround

dont think angels has been updates as i was not too impressed with the quality, if it has, the previous incarnation must have been Shi$e

convert

Sufferfest vids only really started to work for me once I used them alongside trainer road. Then the effort levels become meaningful. Some people are better with RPE though I guess.

TiRed

I don’t use RPE, I use a Stages power meter or, if on a different bike, the PowerCal HR-based pseudo power meter (which correlates well on 10sec averaging). They don’t make the efforts any easier though, the point is to suffer after all 😉

bob_summers

I’ve got a couple but what really made the trail come alive was when I started using virtual power with them. Did A Very Dark Place last night after upping my CP and I was ruined.
    I use GoldenCheetah for the VP.

convert

I don’t use RPE, I use a Stages power meter or, if on a different bike, the PowerCal HR-based pseudo power meter (which correlates well on 10sec averaging). They don’t make the efforts any easier though, the point is to suffer after all

True – I did have a power meter on the bike and that meant the effort 7.5 I knew was my ftp. However, there is little guidance as to what each point on the scale related to in terms of and increase or decrease from that datum. i.e. I’m not sure looking at the trainer road ‘interpretation’ of the numbers it’s linear either.

I go into a world of hurt doing those sort of sessions and not having to think works for me – I just have a bit of faith the the trainer road number are giving my targets that are achievable but are also going to get me to the edge.

stabilizers

Angels is the old non HD version so still to be updated. Still a good workout though. Just get some sweat on your eyes and you should not be able to tell the difference anyway. 😉

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘sufferfest Q’ is closed to new replies.