Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Sufferfest – help me to hurt myself
  • eyerideit
    Free Member

A new baby means no decent rides for a while This means I’ll be on the turbo and to make it more interesting I’m going to get a few videos, should I go for the starter pack:

The Downward Spiral
    Extra Shot: The Long Scream
    Angels

or try sone of the others? All recommendations are greatly welcome.

mogrim

I’ve got The Downward Spiral and Angels – the first is better for sprinting, the second for climbing. Also got The Hunted (climbing, don’t like it much – a bit dull) and Revolver (similar to, but slightly shorter than, the Downward Spiral). Not got The Long Scream, so no opinion there.

I’d say go for it, DS and A are great workouts and make a turbo considerably more interesting!

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

It’s gotta be Blender.. an hour and 40 minutes of pain in your fight to become the Sufferlandrian National Champion..
    It’s also got the widest variety of cycling; road, cyclocross, track, womens road, downhill and even a bit of fatbiking in the snow..

Pair it up with a Garmin USB ANT+ stick, a HRM, a speed/cadence sensor and TrainerRoad and you’ve got the perfect training environment..

Haze

Angels is probably my ‘favourite’.

Also have There is no Try and a Very Dark Place, both more than capable of helping you hurt yourself (the Wiggins TT on Try is pretty tough going).

Hell Hath no Fury is about the toughest I have with those 20 minute efforts, though sounds like Blender may be my next purchase…

eyerideit
    Free Member

I’ve got a edge 800 was planning on using that, but the USB isn’t compatible with that according to a wiggles site.

BearBack
    Free Member

Was unimpressed with angels.. it could’ve been put together much much better.. that said, its still better than a solo session watching tv, but not a patch on a group instructor lead turbo session.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve got a edge 800 was planning on using that, but the USB isn’t compatible with that according to a wiggles site.

Get the garmain USB stick, it reads the HRM and GSC10 sensor outputs so bypassed the 800.

MSP

Blender, local hero and hell hath no fury are my favourites.

As above use them with trainer road to really give your workout some edge. perceived effort doesn’t really work that well, having the virtual power graph on the screen in front of you really gives you no place to hide.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yep I never bothered with sufferfest just did the trainer road workouts to music. Do the calibration/test ride first to give you a decent benchmark for threshold and off you go.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve got Angels, The Hunted and Revolver.

Revolver is probably my fave, Angels close seconds, very rarely use The Hunted.

They got me through babydom with some vague fitness. Whether you will have the energy to do them though having a baby is a different matter 🙂

barrykellett
    Free Member

Blender is the best quality one I have used so far and it is also a very well thought out endurance workout. Which fits perfectly into my traiing plan right now.

Was on it again last night…
    Recovery commute this morning

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I’ve only got The Hunted… and love it !!

Had just a little bit of sick in my mouth after the last sprint when I did on tuesday night… Brilliant !! (weirdo 😀 )

Have been thinking this week I should invest in some others, sounds like I should.

Think I’ll get Blender

eyerideit
    Free Member

Thanks for the repliies.

I’ll get the starter pack and revolver

Blender’s a bit too long for what I need at the moment, I need to inflict the most pain the least time.

I’ll sign up to a trial of Trainer road as well.

They got me through babydom with some vague fitness. Whether you will have the energy to do them though having a baby is a different matter

I’ll have to force myself as doing PPS in June. I need to be fit so when I ride I can concentrate on bike handling and not keeping lungs in body. 😕

Had just a little bit of sick in my mouth after the last sprint when I did on tuesday night… Brilliant !! (weirdo )

There’s nothing better. I love that feeling of when you feel like your heart’s about to explode.

Haze

MSP – Member
    Blender, local hero and hell hath no fury are my favourites.

As above use them with trainer road to really give your workout some edge. perceived effort doesn’t really work that well, having the virtual power graph on the screen in front of you really gives you no place to hide.

Just ditched the Strava premium account (doesn’t seem at all worth it) and signed up for this TrainerRoad on a 30 day trial.

It’s an extra $4 per month but looks far more useful.

LoCo
    Free Member

They’re all pretty good, not really got best and worst as blowing so hard out my arse when doing them don’t have time to think about anything else 😉

CaptJon
    Free Member

I really ‘enjoy’ The Wretched – it is relatively short, but has a nice narrative and hurts so good.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve got the Wretched and Blender, tried each for the first time last week.
    Wretched is enjoyable and hard. I only got half way through blender as my old road tyrwe I was using delaminated so had to stop. New turbe specific tyre bought, I’ll be back on it soon.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ll have to force myself as doing PPS in June. I need to be fit so when I ride I can concentrate on bike handling and not keeping lungs in body.

Broke thumb 15th Dec, back on road bike late Feb, Mtn Bike just before March, Raced 140km in 3 days in mid march, Trainer road worked well 🙂

Gotama
    Free Member

Quick hijack but are you still looking to flog your gravity dropper eyerideit? Not sure if my emails are disappearing into your junk again and with a new baby i’m sure you’ve got better things to worry about. Anyway, drop me a mail if you do, if not no worries.

As you were.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Big +1 for TrainerRoad, great app. Done some of the sufferfest on them but tend to just pick something from iplayer to watch for other workouts. You may want to knock the intensity down a notch or two or keep a sick bucket handy. At 100% (if you have FTP set correctly) they are tough workouts and you’d definitely not want to be doing it several times a week!

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I’ve got Fight Club, Angels, The Hunted, A Very Dark Place and Hell Hath no Fury. I use them with a power meter and TrainerRoad. They are all hard with TrainerRoad set at 100% FTP but HHNF is definitely the hardest 😥 Like mrblobby said use sparingly if you are doing them properly.

Haze

All set up and ready to go with TrainerRoad, using the Virtual Power Meter method.

Ftp first, looking forward to that!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://app.strava.com/activities/37950870 Pallisade
    One of the fun ones I got to…

I would suggest trying to follow some of the Traineroad programmes they seemed good with a mix of stuff and things to achieve. Pick the one that suits where you are.

Also the FTP numbers may not be accurate but they were fairly consistent for effort.

Haze

Yeah have noted all the workouts it comes with, should be ‘fun’ working through those to suss out what fits best.

Not fussed about accuracy to an extent, consistency good enough for me until I get flash enough to invest in a power meter (or they get cheaper, whichever comes first).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yeah, i went with a programme just to take the pain out of choosing 🙂 They are structured for progression

GasmanJim
    Free Member

I’ve got about half a dozen Sufferfest films and while they all have their merits the thing I find differentiates an ok one from a great one is the sound track. I suppose it depends on personal taste in music, but for me the electronic sound tracks are far more motivational. I’ve even tracked down some of the music and down loaded it separately.

So I’d recommend: Hell Hath No Fury, There Is No Try, Fight Club and Blender (music better in second half).

The best cool down is on the end of Fight Club. Got to see it to believe what those 2 girls can do on a bike!

Thanks to the ‘fest and my Lemond Revolution I’ve come out of winter in quite good form. If any of you have a Lemond Revolution but don’t have the Power Pilot I can give you a speed / power curve for nowt. You just need a cheapo speed sensor attached to the top of the Revolution to pick up the signal from the magnet embedded in the big wheel at the top.
    Email in profile.

James

bigG
    Free Member

+1 for hunted. That damn wait at the level crossing…

amt27
    Free Member

+1 for Blender, they have really moved on with footage and graphics quality on this one, impressed.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Sufferfest – help me to hurt myself’ is closed to new replies.