Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Suede or synthetic for hot climate walking shoes ?
  • onandon
    Free Member

On my next holiday I’ll be doing quite a bit of walking in 30c heat.
    I’ve decided on some Scarpa Mojito’s but which will be cooler, Suede or synthetic ?

somouk
    Free Member

I would say a synthetic that is designed to breathe might be a better option than a suede.

Do you mean the Scarpa Mojitos?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Not much in it in my experience.
    Lived abroad for a long time and just wore whichever fitted me best tbh.
    Plenty of mesh and not waterproof would be my suggestion.

onandon
    Free Member

Yep, Mojito’s. Just made an edit.

Non waterproof because they have a membrane ?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

flip flops?

TooTall
    Free Member

Depends on the terrain. If you’re on rocky stuff, something tougher will give you more protection. It’s going to be as much about your socks as it is the boots.

tomd
    Free Member

From experience of a fairly miserable year working in the desert, with temperature hitting 60degC in the shade, suede every time if you need something tough to protect your feet. I’m not exactly sure of the science behind it but there’s a reason desert boots are suede. I think it’s to do with the large external surface area and light colouring.

rocketman
    Free Member

Trail running shoes here for hiking in those temps and above

Very light uppers and grippy soles Nike Brooks Inov8 etc. They don’t last very long but they work well

BillMC

What socks would the cognoscenti recommend for hot climates?

onandon
    Free Member

Rocket man. Agreed, I’d usually go for a pair of Nike Pegasus 32 or similar, but for this trip I wanted something a little tougher.
    The Scarpa Mojito’s are pretty lightweight, I’ve just not used suede before.

BillMC

Those Scarpas look pretty hot to me. I had the same dilemma when travelling in Oz, Centro America and Southern Africa and ended up with Nike barefoot trainers with loads of mesh. Feet got a bit dirty but that was more comfortable than boil-in-the-bag all day long. The trainers, incidentally, lasted very well and they were nice and grippy over wet rocks etc.

Moses

How about walking sandals, the type made by Keen ^ Merrell?
    If you’re set on boots, then Meindl do a specific hot weather suede boot which is used by the forces – the model’s called Desert Fox ?

onandon
    Free Member

Thanks but im interested in shoes not boots or sandals. Urgh, sandals.

The scarpa as fit me well, and I don’t have time to orde a bunch of other makes to check for sizing etc

So, to the original point. Synthetic or suede ?

tomd
    Free Member

Suede, surprisingly cool and very durable.

Edukator
    Free Member

Tarmac, off-road, humid, dry, smooth, stony, rocky, flat, hilly, 10km, 30km, 50km a day?

Too little information to give an opinion.

onandon
    Free Member

Edukarot, on and off road. A mixture of stoney , forest vegetation.

Unlikely to get wet. Distance 1 don’t know yet but possibly 10 miles +

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ve done the Compostelle walk: once low cut boots with suede uppers (Go Sport own) once with low cut Salomon synthetic Gortex and another section wearing Columbia suede reinforced synthetic shoes. I used sandals too, nearly all the tarmac sections. The only problem with the suede boots was the drying time, though they were less sweaty than the Gortex. An advantage was that they slowly moulded to my feet. Now you’ve added that they are unlikely to get wet other than sweat my vote is for suede.

TooTall
    Free Member

Suede. Wool socks and some foot talc will also help. I’m a huge fan of Smartwool socks. They did me well from cold to hot, wet to arid.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’ve always worn synthetics for tropics, gortex essential too and the right choice of socks. A lot depends on how humid it will be. In Laos at the moment 30 degrees but fairly dry, wearing the same synthetic approach shoes I wear in the Alps. Have worn them in the jungle in Borneo too with the leach socks 😉

onandon
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Suede or synthetic for hot climate walking shoes ?’ is closed to new replies.