Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 115 total)
  • Suction Cup Bike racks – Seasucker or Rockbros?
  • Trimix
    Free Member

No one has heard from him, so its quite likely he got squashed by a big lorry when he was picking bits of his bike off the motorway !

Looking at the picture of the cheap EBay one, I’m very tempted just to buy it.

After all its just some aluminium and some suction cups. I really don’t care if I’m keeping some American workers in a job or some Chinese workers in a job 🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve always though that you could create your own Sea Sucker Hornet copy for a fraction of the price but Sea Sucker rate each of their pads at 55kg and finding similar rated ones off the shelf seems difficult.

drlex
    Free Member

Whilst I’ve not had a pad lose suction/de-pressure, the high rating of the units gives me comfort that the remaining units would keep the load affixed until planned removal.
    Pukka mini bomber unit new fromTiso was £315; didn’t want to risk two bikes and a car repair bill for the saving on a moody version.

Trimix
    Free Member

Would your car or household insurance cover any damage ?

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I don’t get why Seasucker think this should command such a price

If I was going to focus on product development, the last industry I’d chose is the bike industry – cr@p margins and too much competition.

🙄

kongli
    Free Member

Iv just ordered a Rockbros one from amazon UK cheaper then it would be to get it from ebay. should turn up this week so i will post how i get on with it.

hopfully it works out otherwise it will be going back for a refund.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074DS91SJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

kongli
    Free Member

The Rockbros rack turned up today hopfully I will get a chance to try it this weekend.

goby

How was it?

kongli
    Free Member

I tested out the Rockbros rack at the weekend and its really good i cant really fault it at all. its really easy to use iv only tested it out with my girlfriends bike so far as im waiting on a 15mm adaptor for CRC to put my bike on it. but it seem to be good so far i havent been on the motorway with it yet but its been fine on country roads.

easy and fast to install and i keep it in the boot of the car all the time which was one of the main reasons i went for it as it is very conpact.

Rockbros have also sent me an emailed telling me that they are sending me 5 spare exhaust piston rods as spares incase i need them.

Trimix
    Free Member

I ordered one, I paid them £3 extra for the spacers for the thru axel adaptors. I like your idea of testing it with someone else’s bike first 🙂

What is a “spare exhaust piston rod” ?

bigbloke
    Free Member

Really interesting this Rockbros rack. Is it sturdy?

kongli
    Free Member

Trimix the spare exhaust piston rod are the pumps on the sucker.
    Seasucker sell spare ones as well so they must ware out after some time.

It feels like a really well made product the bar that runs across with the suckers attached is about 5-7mm thick aluminum which has been anodized which is really nice. i was a little suprised how heavy it was but it feels like a really well made product.

Trimix
    Free Member

Ah, cheers. Mine will be for sunny occasional use only, so don’t expect to wear anything out.

dirtjunkiez
    Free Member

so its been like 2 months now. thinking about buying one as im sick of taking my kids seats out. how is it getting on any problems i need to look out for.. cheers

julians
    Free Member

Also interested in this.

My car cant take roof bars,so looking for an alternative that isnt s boot mounted strap on rack.

Im not concerned about the suckers coming loose,but am concerned about the suckers damaging the paintwork/leaving marks. Do you have to clean the car before you fit them to prevent this?

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve been using those suckers at work for 30 odd years and they do come in vastly different qualities. A good wood sucker is around £70 so how those rockbros ones are that cheap I don’t know. They must be cheaper suckers, which obviously doesn’t mean they are rubbish but I would prefer woods.

kongli
    Free Member

So far it’s worked without a problem.
    I keep a microfiber cloth in the car and wipe it down with some water quickly to clean the area im fitting the mount to.

they dont seem to have caused any damage to the paint work at all and i have not noticed any marks.

a11y

Over a year on… how have the RockBros suction mount users found them in use?

I only need to carry one bike. Currently around £250 for Seasucker or £70 for RockBros single via eBay UK seller.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve been meaning to post about my Rock Bros ones for ages. We sold our car with a roof rack on it and were also renting a camper van that didn’t come with a bike rack so bought two single Rock Bros racks back in May.

They’re great. My wife says they’re the easiest bike rack she’s ever used. The cups work nicely and while the instructions say to check them every four hours, it’s only when I’ve left them on over night that they need pumping again. They’ve never come loose when driving.

I’ve done around 4,000 miles with them, about 2,500 on the roof of the car and 1,500 on the rented camper hanging vertically. You can hang off them and they don’t budge. I’d recommend them.

Trimix
    Free Member

I ended up buying the Rock Bros version. Had it over a year. Upon close inspection its no different to the Sea Sucker version – apart from the price.

Stuck my Jeffsy and Capra on top of my 911. Rock solid at all sorts of speeds.

wukfit
    Free Member

Have been using mine for just over a year now, no problems at all
    I even used it to bring the Christmas tree home the last 2 years

windyg
    Free Member

This is good to hear as have been thinking about getting one for the Mini for the road bike

Trimix
    Free Member

Go for it. As an experiment I stuck my Rockbros version on the side of the van and tried to pull it off in an upwards direction. I failed. I just raised the van on its springs a bit.

a11y

Excellent, thanks for the feedback from users. I’ll try the RockBros I think. Roofbars are rare for my car and TBH I’d rather not have them on all the time even though I carry a bike most weeks. I have a van too but sometimes it’s nice to use the car instead.

The adapters for difference sizes: are the easy to swap between 15×100 and 15×110, for example?

Any particular Amazon/eBay sellers folk have used?

Holyzeus
    Free Member

The eBay and Amazon sellers both appear to be the manufacturer, however the price on eBay is much lower unless i’ve Not looked right

Trimix
    Free Member

You need to ask for the adaptors. Email them and see. The adaptors I got were for road bike QR vs through axles. Basically they are just plastic inserts that push into the metal tube where the axle goes.

NZCol

Trimix-what 911 did you put them on ? I might have just bought a 991 Targa 4s so was thinking of these for skis and bikes – yes I agree it’s the wrong car but hey why not ?!

a11y

RockBros single mount ordered… I’ll report back once in use.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I took a punt on a Rassine one on eBay. It’s a copy of the Sea Sucker Falcon I think.

Here

Expected it to be a bit shonky, but compared to my friends sea sucker, it’s really not far behind in terms of construction. The rubber on the cups and the suction plungers seem to be as good quality. I’ve used it for about 6 weeks now with no issues, other than the suction cup rubber getting a bit stiff at -1 degrees.

I did need to replace the axle adaptor with a 15mm one instead of the q/r, but for the money I’ve been pleasantly surprised.

Trimix
    Free Member

@NZCol, I have a 997.2 C2S manual. If you stick them on the Targa just remember not to open the roof 🙂

davidxbrown
    Free Member

I’ve been very pleased with the Sea Sucker, cleaned and regressed the vacuum pumps couple of times and always carefull to store correctly with the caps in place.

I have to tie off the crank arm with a quick release strap to stop pedal and rear window contact, keep to the speed limit (as we all do anyway!) and check if I stop but never had to top up the vacuum.

I have noticed after use you can see where the cups were, but these wash/polish out.

Great system and good to see RockBros bring competition.

swisstony
    Free Member

Perfect thread as I’ve been getting around to buying the Seasuckers but will certainly give the Rockbros a try after the feedback. I’ve got a 996 and a T2 camper so they should be idea,

Trimix
    Free Member

We need a Porsche / mtb meet up then.

spicer
    Free Member

I’m also looking at getting a Rockbros or Seasucker (probably rockbros after the comments above!) soon.

Are there any options for mounting the front wheel on the roof too? I had a look around the rockbros website but couldnt even find the rack on it, only eBay.

The wheels should just-about fit in the car, but with a weekend of kit for 2 people and 2 bikes there definitely won’t be room for the front wheels inside. And I’d rather not have them inside after a muddy ride anyway!

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Seasicker now do a part called the Hogg to attach the front wheel to the bike

Trimix
    Free Member

Just strap them to the frame.

munrobiker
    Free Member

If you are thinking of using it on a Targa or similar make sure you put the front sucker at the top of the front windscreen. I was originally going to buy one for my 924 (the thinking man’s Porsche 😉 ) but was warned that this sort of rack would rip out the roof hatch.

rigormortisph
    Free Member

Happy to have found this thread and hear first hand experiences with the Rockbros suction rack. Will be receiving mine this weekend.

For the folks thats been using it for a while now, have you guys tried transporting AM/DH bikes on it? I have a Nomad v3 and will be using the rack going to and from the local trail near my place.

Trimix
    Free Member

My Capra was fine on the roof for extended journeys along roads that had no speed cameras on them.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.