Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Sucking 456
  • paul4stones

What bits should I replace to help sort the chainsuck on my 456? Running XT 3×9 on a 20″

Even does it a bit in the dry. . .

ahwiles
    Free Member

throw the large chainring in the bin, and shorten the chain so it runs tighter = less chainsuck.

paul4stones

Yes, I’ve been getting round it by just using the big ring to keep the chain tight.

Was hoping someone might say buy a different frame 🙂

Inbred456
    Free Member

Replace the chain rings with cheaper deore steel ones. Every time I’ve used expensive light ali chain rings I’ve experienced some chain suck. I’m convinced the chain picks up on the softer Ali rings. Never had a problem with steel ones! I’m running 3×9 on a 456 with deore crank and rings with a Sram chain.

edhornby

I heard a tip (second hand) about chainsuck, the theory being that it’s the burrs that collect on the rings that cause it, if you go round the ring edges with a knife and trim them off, hey presto no chainsuck – should point out that I’ve not tried this yet as my chainrings are steel and still fresh…

Northwind

Aye, I’ve milked a fair bit of extra life out of old chainrings by going at them with a round file… But it’s just postponing the inevitable really, which is new rings and chain.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I wish someone would bring back the onza buzzsaw stainless middle rings.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1

Deore steel rings, consistently clean + lubed chain (Rock N Roll is good), and a double+bash with a shorter chain and short cage mech

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Yeah, take the rings off and check for burrs. File them off and you should be fine. It’s something I do regularly on my bikes and certainly before a big ride away from home.

paul4stones

Ring filing sounds like a nice little evening job.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Clean the chainrings up and file. If too far gone, a new chainset will do. In which case, how about a new frame to hang it on? 😉

paul4stones

Sounds like the advice my wife was after 😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

13 posts and no-one has said the frame!!

miketually
    Free Member

singlespeed = no chainsuck

bigyinn
    Free Member

Have just filed my middle ring and will be testing this out tonight, have also rotated it 90 degrees to even out the wear a bit.
    Also made sure the teeth aren’t gonna snag the chain by rounding of the tip of the teeth slightly.
    Considering running a deore steelie in future.

gearfreak
    Free Member

Belt drive?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Nope, all my filing hasn’t made much difference, bugger new drivetrain time…..

Tim
    Free Member

I struggled to find a setup that worked on my 456 with a deore octalink setup that had worked perfectly on previous bikes

chucked on a new slx triple – solved problem

Earl_Grey

Ummm, bigyinn. Am I being daft, won’t rotating the middle ring by 90 degrees mean that the shifting ramps and lower teeth which help shifting are misaligned, possibly exacerbating chainsuck?
    Apologies if I’m being stupid…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Sucking 456’ is closed to new replies.