Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Such thing as a good headset under £30?
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

Is their such a thing for standard forks and normal headtubes?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I’m sure I got a Sunnline one for around that much and has been faultless

same as this

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/111354.html

Jamie
    Free Member

FSA Pig Pro. All I have ever used. £20 and have gone 2 years+ fine.

nuke

FSA XL2. Picked another one up for £15 from O-O although other places still do them for not much more

I really rate FSA…they do a lot of good bits but keep a fairly low marketing profile imo

racing_ralph
    Free Member

cheers forgot about the xl2

4ndyB
    Free Member

BBB Turnaround is very good value, sealed cartridge bearings, well made, looks good, available in lots of different types and in silver or black.

It will be my standard headset of choice when any of my other bikes needs a new headset.

cynic-al
    Free Member

FSA XLII plus many others.

bassspine
    Free Member

FSA pig are ok. The M-Part ones are fine too, treat them like V8 pedals, cheap enough to be used and binned when they wear out with no regrets

theotherjonv

No probs here with Orbit XLII. TBH not entirely sure what a headset ‘does’ other than carry the bearings and seal against the muck, so while I’m sure Hope and King etc. are fancier XLIIs have always done exactly what i needed.

£25 at CRC

inkster
    Free Member

Just fitted an fsa orbit xl 2, picked up for £20 from cycle surgery [after price match against crc] excellent reviews on the fsa on forums, [better than hope e.t.c.] Only ridden it a couple of times but think its as good as the expensive race face deus on my other bike [which is still running superb after 5 years by the way]

SilentSparky
    Free Member
    stumpy01

My cane creek must be getting on for 3yrs old and is fine, it’s an s-3 I think and cost £25. It’s now on it’s 2nd bike.
    Everytime I strip it for a clean up, I wonder why I bothered as it’s always clean inside. Cartridge bearings too so should be easy to replace if ever needed.

thomthumb
    Free Member

fsa xl 2 is very similat to a hope.

simila performance, similar weight.

not similar price 🙂

Pook

+1 Cane creek s3

takisawa2

+3 for Cane Creek S3.

andrewh
    Free Member

Maybe get lucky with a CK on fleabay?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I think the first ever headset I owned that didnt cause me a van load of hassle was a Cane Creek S3. I’ve tended to spend more recently though.

Northwind

FSA (as long as it’s got cartridge bearings) or Cane Creek. My old Orbit MX lasted way longer than my Cane Creek IS3 has though so I’d probably say go with one of the Orbits. I changed the bearings in the Orbit XLII in my mate’s XC Bike Of Pure Neglect after 4 years, they were rusted to bits on the outside but still more or less spinning, that’s good going considering his bike care habits.

Bregante

FSA orbit MX here too. I got my last one for £18!

ahwiles
    Free Member

cane creek S3

mine’s 3yrs old, still minty fresh.

Coyote
    Free Member

FSA Pig or Pig Pro.

loddrik
    Free Member

Only ever used Ritchey WCS from merlin for less than £30 iirc.

_tom_
    Free Member

Pig DH lasted me years 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

or nuke proof warhead? – i’ve got one of them aswell, it’s nicely made, does the job, the seals stand up to everything except jet-washing.

walla24
    Free Member

fsa xlII or the cheaper cane creeks are great for the cash, sealed bearings mind

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 on the S8

The XL2 is fine but the S8 is definitely a step up, and at £25 is a proper bargain.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have a Cane Creek. It has play that cannot be adjusted out and is soon to go in the bin.

rudedog
    Free Member

I had an FSA Orbit II (which can be got for under £20)and now have a hope – can’t say I’ve noticed any difference.

cookeaa

FSAs Just about any of their Headsets will do…

I Have a couple, Pig; Relatively Heavy but very Robust, durable and Cheap, Orbits XL2, MX obviously Lighter, Does the Job, cheap spares available for all of them…

I Can’t really see why people bother with CKs, Functionally where is the difference?

pjt201
    Free Member

My second hand hope one i’ll sell you for £30?

bent_udder
    Free Member

+ eleventy for the S3. I’ve been using them since the S-1 came out (One of those lasted three bikes, including two DH bikes. I eventually sold it with a frame and fork, and it’s probably still going strong somewhere. I’ve just swapped out a King (gasp!) for an S3 because the King kept loosening – it’s on a 5″ travel fork, and I guess the new King compression washers will make the difference if/when they come out, but an S3 just sort of goes on and stays on. Occasionally I put a new cartridge bearing in, but otherwise it just works. I love the King headset, but not when it needs constant tweaking – very frustrating!

Cynic-Al – is it possible you’ve ovalised the headset cups or head tube?

Oh, and I’ve got a second hand Hope on another bike that seems to be pretty much maintenance free too.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

pjt201 – pics to email please

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Such thing as a good headset under £30?’ is closed to new replies.