Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Such thing as a fast winter xc tyre?
  • chris-p
    Free Member

I am currently using a Racing Ralph 2.1 on rear and a Nobby Nic 2.1 on the front and am happy with speed off road and on b roads. Things are getting a bit slippy on the rear and its time to change any suggestions or do i shell out the cash for another Ralph ?

njee20
    Free Member

In winter the ground isn’t fast, the tyre’s not the limiting factor, so no not really! Mud X’s are a great winter tyre, not particularly fast though. The Schwalbe Dirty Dan is lighter and may roll faster, but IMO winter is a time for grippy tyres rather than worrying about rolling!

RepacK
    Free Member

Ive got 2.0 DD’s on my HT & so far – well they are coming off! Im going back to 2.25 NN’s. Yes the DD’s grip but they roll so slowly..

malchales
    Free Member

i really like the spesh storms. they`re grippy, fastish and cheap too!! also tubeless ready

br
    Free Member

Mud X’s roll ok, better than Trailrakers, but it more depends on where you are riding – and what the weather has done.

I went to Mud X’s a few weeks ago, and needed them – but last Friday on a night ride I’d have been fine with RR’s. But not today!

damo2576
    Free Member

I know nothing about tyres, I have Conti Mountain Kings – are they summer or winter?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

In winter the ground isn’t fast, the tyre’s not the limiting factor, so no not really! Mud X’s are a great winter tyre, not particularly fast though.

Whilst they are not dry conditions semi slick fast, they are pretty damn fast for a knobbly, I cba to take mine off when I did an 8 hour solo ss race the other week, the course was practically bone dry and I didn’t once regret having my Mud Xs on.

nickc

Depends on where you ride as much as anything. Nobby Nics are mostly OK in the Chilterns, I change to RR for the summer/autumn.

Damo, bit of an all rounder really. good wide spaced tread, be OK for most conditions but might clog up a bit in the really sticky clag

emac65
    Free Member

If it gets really muddy I’ll put a Mud X on the front,but NN 2.1 is great on the back & rolls well too.I hate using a mudX on the back,far too draggy….

BadlyWiredDog

If you want something like a Ralph but a bit grippier and still fast-ish, just stick another Nobby Nic on the back.

aracer
    Free Member

I ride on the Malverns. RRs are winter tyres 8)

rewski
    Free Member

Mud X’s are very impressive, I was out on the North Downs at the weekend, very muddy in places, and slippery on damp leaves, the Mud X’s performed extremely well, a friend was on Kenda Nevegals, the tred on his tyres always seemed to have mud packed in the tred, the tred on the mud x’s were totally clear.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

mud x all the way, i think they roll a hell of a lot faster than NN ust’s personally!

oldgit
    Free Member

Ive done winters on Ralphs, theyre pretty okay if youre moving quicly. I use SS Speed Kings now, I like them but I dont think theyre a popular STW choice.

chris-p
    Free Member

Thanks guys for all your help on this one. I think i will try with a Nobby Nic 2.1 on the back to match up with the front.If life gets too slippy i may try the Mud X. Come spring Racing Ralphs will be back on and hopefully a few PBs to follow !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Such thing as a fast winter xc tyre?’ is closed to new replies.