Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Such a stupid and horribly painful injury…!
  • andylc
    Free Member

Took my five year old out today for a quick ride, up the half mile concrete track from our barn. Bit bored along the way thought I would do some endos. Discovered my 160mm bike is actually really difficult to get a high wheelie on! I’ll give it a good wellie upwards…next minute I’m flying backwards and hitting my upper arse region on a concrete drive. So painful now I can hardly sit down, pelvis appears to be intact but pride not so much so…

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Amateur – This is how you do it albeit on motorwheels.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoUrlj1omXI[/video]

scaredypants

at least your kid’ll have had a chuckle 😉

(I did my first clipped-in wheelie on my own in a really rooty-floored forest, about a mile from my car – went very well, some might say too well. Similar outcome)

Bregante

bruised coccyx?

maxtorque

If you’re trying to “endo” by throwing yourself off the back of the bike, i think you’re doing it wrong???? 😆

andylc
    Free Member

Oops I meant a manual. Shows how much I know. Endow are actually fairly easy on this bike now I’ve actually checked what one is…

shermer75
    Free Member

You gotta get it wrong before you can get it right, right? 😉

maxtorque

Trick to “manuals”: Go DOWN before you go back, in a sort of “L” shape, rather than going diagonally backwards towards the rear wheel. Makes it much easier, needs less “body english” and hence is easy to apply without messing it up 😀

stuey
    Free Member

Expected this to be a WCA thread 🙂

mdavids
    Free Member

I did the same a couple of months back, popped a wheelie whilst clipped in, went straight over backwards and slammed my lower left ribs into the concrete.

My god the pain, thought I’d smashed a couple of ribs but turned out I’d torn the muscles in between.

For the first week after it was one of the most debilatating and painful injuries I’ve ever had. Sneezing was like something out of a medieval torture chamber.

chakaping
    Free Member

Did this in the car park at Epping one Sunday morning before a ride, with loads of people around.

Walked it off and pretended I was fine, obviously.

Harry_the_Spider

I battered my coccyx a few years back when a set of step ladders went over and I landed on them ass first.

You have my sympathies as it hurt like an absolute monster trucker.

tops5
    Free Member

Did something like that in my teens on my BMX, doing a roll back off a ramp I hit a concrete pipe and went down right on my coccyx. Carried on as normal once it stopped hurting- years later I was having surgery for a (unconnected) back problem and they found a healed fracture on a vertabrae

garage-dweller

Did the same on my bmx mucking about in the garden an hour before the family holiday.

No helmet on, straight out the back = impact ass, flat on back, skull in that order.

Mrs gd was largely unimpressed by my (absence of) skills and not overly happy that our holiday was almost stuffed by her berk of a husband poleaxing himself.

Northwind

I broke my coccyx in pretty much the exact same way, manualling on a fire road. Nearly hit ChrisL in the face with my wheel 😆 Absolutely ****ing brutal, you can’t do a damn thing with a broken coccyx without it hurting, but at the same time you can still do things pretty normally- just, painfully.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Such a stupid and horribly painful injury…!’ is closed to new replies.