Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Subwooder Help Needed
  • GSuperstar
    Free Member

Happy New Year etc

I have recently bought a new AV Receiver for my consoles / tv / surround sound set-up etc. The problem i have is with my current speakers, they use the red + black split wires from the speaker, to plug into the AV Receiver (+ & -). This is all fine.

However the the subwoofer insert on the AV Receiver, requires the subwoofer to have a phono plug on it, as oppose to the two wires it currently has.

How is it i can go about modding this? Is there an item, i can by that makes the two split wires into a phono plug??

Thanks to anyone in advance who can help, Band Of Brothers blu-ray is 5% less impressive without some 'boom' 🙁

TomO

audiophile
    Free Member

If the sub has the same socket on it then you need a subwoofer cable. If not, run the sub cables out of the front L & R speaker outputs.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Sorry forgot to mention the subwoofer wires go 'into' the actual subwoofer. So i'm unable to unplug them etc and don't wish to take the sub apart as it's a sealed unit.

The AV Receiver does have an 'A' and 'B' set of speakers, howeevr i believe using 'A & B' speaker setting loses the 5.1 sounds and automatically puts it to 'stereo' which is bad.

Thanks for the response.

parkesie
    Free Member

If the sub out is a phono type it normaly means you need a active sub.
    One with a built in amp.

Johnboy373
    Free Member

good excuse to buy a new sub then 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

I just so happen to have a Rel Strata III (practically unused!) for sale if anyones interested? otherwise its off to evilbay!

audiophile
    Free Member

Parkesie is indeed correct, you'll need an active sub. A & B speaker settings are so you can run another stereo set for a multi-room setup. Put the plus cable from the sub into the same plus socket as your left or right front speaker and the minus into the same on the other side. You won't be getting 5.1 but you will get more bass. Try to tune in the sub so it starts working just as your speakers give up. Would recommend MrNutts Rel Strata, they are awesome subs.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Bad times 🙁 The 5.1 Surround is more important to me than Stereo with bass.

Looks like a new subwoofer is on the cards.

Thanks for all the help has been much appreciated.

TomO

audiophile
    Free Member

Maybe a misunderstanding there, you'll still get the surround channels, just not the .1 bass channel as a separate entity. The sub only handles the very low bass that monitors have trouble reproducing.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

I've just got back and had a look through the manual and it says if running speaker channels A & B, that Speakers A will be reduced to 2.1 channel playback.

On the subwoofer section it now stands out with a large bold 'to attach your powered subwoofer'…

Thanks for all the help people. Richer Sounds tomorrow it seems 🙂

Have a good night.

TomO

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

If you're going to buy a sub i'd highly recommend looking at one of the BK range.

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers.htm

Fantastic value for money and very well built (they were the manufacturers of REL subs for years)

MrNutt
    Free Member

or a nice cherry wood strata III 😉 (which also has a TOS link lead and all manner of other connection methods)

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Haha, sorry MrNutt i didnt mean to ignore your first sales post 🙂

Unfortunately im a very vain person and a cherry wood subwoofer wouldn't fit in with the current glass / black / silver combo 🙂

Best of luck with the sale of it though, they get very good reviews online i've noticed 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Subwooder Help Needed’ is closed to new replies.