Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Subscription razors (Razor content)
  • AdamW
    Free Member

Anyone dong cornerstone, bearded colonel, harry’s or similar? I’m thinking of doing it to reduce costs to Gillette’s marketing machine. I have to shave 5-7 days a week. Are they any good?

Yes I would dearly love to do safety razors like Merkur but even the thought of being in the same room as a razor blade and having to actually fit it into the handle makes me nauseous! Am scared to death of them!

Pieface

Just received a Harry’s razor, not used it yet. Looks Ok, the only thing I don’t like is the width of the frame around the blades but not used it yet.

Drac

You’re leaving one marketing scheme for another. Byt a Double Edged razor and the a 100 blades for about £8 they will last year around 2 years and no need for pointless subscriptions.

Yes I would dearly love to do safety razors like Merkur but even the thought of being in the same room as a razor blade and having to actually fit it into the handle makes me nauseous! Am scared to death of them!

😯

Cougar

What Drac said.

I understand your caution, I thought the same at first (unless you’re actually phobic I suppose) but they’re pretty easy to handle safely.

AdamW
    Free Member

@Drac: read the second paragraph I wrote. If I do this there will be blood everywhere. Or I’ll have an enormous beard…

iain1775
    Free Member

Just left Cornerstone
    Orignal razor was great, whilst the new blades seem to clear better I really can’t get on with the redesigned handle

sadexpunk

tried cornerstone, thought they were rubbish, heads clogged waaay too easy and just pulled at stubble.

had a spell with DE razors but found they werent ‘manoeuvrable’ enough for my face, especially under my nose area.

finally settled with injector razors, theyre perfect for me, and like DE’s really cheap blades.

EDIT: if you want to ‘try before buy’, ive got a few vintage DEs i dont use now if you want to get in touch? also got a couple of shavettes but i dont think youre ready for those yet 😆

theotherjonv

If you’re genuinely scared then OK.

But if you are exaggerating for effect, and just really think they’re difficult / you’ll slash yourself to pieces…… give it a go, you won’t. And at worst, you can sell them back on for practically what you paid.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/merkur-razor

DezB
    Free Member

I thought about it when I saw how “cheap” they are, but then realised a disposable Wilkinson Sword 5 blade thing lasts me a good 2-3 months (shaving every day). I only change them when I need to – if I was paying some subscription service I’d be changing them just because I have new ones. False economy, I reckon.

(AdamW is a Xyrophobe 😉 )

BigJohn

For years I’ve used Gillette Sensor Excel blades. A quite basic twin blade, but I really like them.

In May, I couldn’t find any blades and as we were about to go on holiday I picked up a pack of Sensor 3 disposables. About £4 for 5.

I shave about 3 times a week, my whiskers are definitely tough, but I’ve been using the same razor since then, without any noticeable blunting.

That pack is going to last me forever.

theotherjonv

a disposable Wilkinson Sword 5 blade thing lasts me a good 2-3 months (shaving every day).

You must have facial hair like the belly hair of a kitten.

DezB
    Free Member

I have facial hair like my facial hair. If it was like a kitten’s belly, I’d never shave. *strokes face*

petec
    Free Member

but you can get nice DE razors 😀

aluminium
    titanium
    Steel
    carbon

it’s like bikes all over again

FuzzyWuzzy

I’ve not been tempted away from Gillette; close shave, no irritation, no having to concentrate at 6am lest I cut my face to pieces etc. A blade lasts 3-4 weeks for me (shaving daily) so although buying an 8-pack of blades stings at the time it works out a fair bit less than a quid a week.

Ladders
    Free Member

I’ve just started with Harrys

I tried DE razors and wanted to love them, but just didn’t find them as easy to get on with as cartridge razors. They probably give you a good shave but are just more hassle.

Found the Harrys blades better then Gilette Mach 3’s, and you can rinse them fairly easily and re-use them quite a few times.

lunge

Gillette Fusion’s last me ages, saying that’s it’s only my legs that get shaved and not my face, so may not be a fair comparison…

IHN

I’m thinking of doing it to reduce costs to Gillette’s marketing machine

Buy one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Razorpit-RP-O-B-Razor-Blade-Sharpener/dp/B004W2UMDW

And use the same blade for weeks and weeks. It really is a brilliant thing, I’ve had one for years and use about three blades a year, if that, shaving three times a week.

FuzzyWuzzy

I use a Razor pit about once a week myself, I only find it extends the blades life by 5-10 shaves though (worth it but not miraculous). Given it’s not actually sharpening I don’t see it would be better if used daily (too much faff to do that anyway :p ).

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

Been a bit beardy for a while so haven’t used mine in a while.

But I have a super tough beard (at least most barbers say so).

Merkur Futur,a decent badger hair brush and a decent soap and you would be well away.

DE Bladed are simple to handle without cutting an arm off!

IHN

Given it’s not actually sharpening I don’t see it would be better if used daily

I use it before every shave, and I must get 50+ shaves to a blade. That’s probably an extreme though, there’s normally a few weeks towards the end where each time I think “I really should change this blade”.

too much faff to do that anyway

I hope you’re joking, what faff?

funkmasterp

Slightly OT but can anybody recommend a good razor for head shaving duties? Despite being more or less bald the hair Is super tough and blunts every razor I’ve tried after one shave. Did try a shavette style razor and it looked like a scene from hellraiser.

Coyote
    Free Member

Just left Cornerstone
    Orignal razor was great, whilst the new blades seem to clear better I really can’t get on with the redesigned handle

You too hey? I was well pissed with the change. I was even more pissed off with the guff behind the the switch. “After extensive research and consultation with our clients…” Bollocks. You’ve found a cheaper supplier. I don’t mind, it’s a business, but please don’t blow smoke up my arse. Told them such and cancelled my subscription.

There is another supplier that looks like they sell the original ones that Cornerstone sold.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

sadexpunk,

might be interested in some of your DE razors, was just lloking to change my current one

What do you have, email in profile

roger_mellie

I’m still with Cornerstone. Didn’t notice any change in use with the new handle. They sent me shave cream free one month and shave balm free the next. Which was nice.
    OP – I have a referral which gets both of us a tenner off (I think), if you fancy giving it a try. My email’s in my profile.

Coyote
    Free Member

Didn’t I refer you RM?

nickb

Like others, I was with Cornerstone. Their original design worked well – smoothest shave I think I’ve ever had. Their re-designed blades are rubbish.

Coincidentally, Cornerstone switched to their new design at almost exactly the same time Harry’s launched in the UK. And Harry’s look almost identical to the old Cornerstone blades. I strongly suspect Harry’s were supplying Cornerstone on a white-label deal and had an option to cancel it when Harry’s launched in the UK.

I’ve just ordered Harry’s – looks good.

Nick

user-removed
    Free Member

Because I’m a Facebook whore, I get all the free trial ads and have tried most of them.

Much to my surprise, I’ve ended up going with Wilkinson Sword – best shave out of the lot. Have cancelled the subs though because one blade is lasting me about three weeks!

Came with a tube of Bulldog moisturiser which smells Luvverly.

vinnyeh

Buy one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Razorpit-RP-O-B-Razor-Blade-Sharpener/dp/B004W2UMDW

And use the same blade for weeks and weeks. It really is a brilliant thing, I’ve had one for years and use about three blades a year, if that, shaving three times a week.

You can also try making a small pyramid (it doesn’t really matter what material, card is easiest, but you can even make a wireform one,) and sharpening the blade under that, probably a bit cheaper than the above method.
    Just orient the blade and pyramid along the north-south axis (can’t remember whether its geographic or magnetic, suspect magnetic though) and support the blade about 1/3 of the way up the pyramid. Then leave it overnight, and the blade will be sharper in the morning.
    There might be a bit of trial and error involved in getting the ratios of the sides correct, but it used to work back in the 70’s.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Tried gruum, the gel etc is good but I found the razor awkward and the blades not great. Went the DE route but it requires more concentration than any of the wilkinson sword or Gillette razors and always felt worse afterwards. Had a shavette for a bit, that’s awkward.

I was going to try Harry’s and cornerstone but can’t be bothered now, wilkinson sword trimmer/razor thing and bulldog products work perfectly well even if I’m in the shower, mirror less and paying no real attention to what I’m doing.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Costco has Gillette Fusion blades at about 20quid for 20, so stopped my bearded colonel. Fusion have the blade on the back thing which I like for the increasing amount of hair I have immediately under my nasal septum on top lip

mrmoofo

Dorco from Amazon work well

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Subscription razors (Razor content)’ is closed to new replies.