Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Submarine cable map.
  • Blimey, there’s dozens of ’em.
    There’s even one from UK to Japan over the top of Russia.

http://www.submarinecablemap.com/

grantway
    Free Member

Can I change at Bank 😀
    Its like a tube map

flip
    Free Member

Wow zoom in its even more techno.

globalti
    Free Member

Blimey, I thought everything went by satellite nowadays.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We’ve certainly got more than our fair share, for a relatively small island….
    Impressive 🙂

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Satellite: slow, expensive. Cable: fast, cheap.

grizedaleforest

Thanks for that link. I love maps!!

growinglad
    Free Member

Best thing evvaaaa.

jam-bo

did you notice how many land just under here?

bencooper
    Free Member

Neal Stephenson wrote a really good non-fiction thing about the cable business – it’s in his non-fiction book, can’t remember the name.

The first one, TAT-1, isn’t on there – that terminated in a lovely out-of-the-way corner of Appin. Keep meaning to go for a look but got disctracted by a giant silica quarry.

GrahamS

That’s very cool, thanks OP.

Check out the size of the one coming from Filey.

The “Russian Optical Trans-Arctic Cable System (ROTACS)” providing vital links from a small seaside town in North Yorkshire to Japan and Russia! 😯

gobuchul
    Free Member

This one also shows the Power Cables

There are loads more.

footflaps

It doesn’t show the identical matching set of fibres going from each of the undersea ones to GCHQ Cheltenham! A staggering amount of data to mirror and process…..

bigjim

there are loads more disused ones too, some dating back to WW1 and earlier, we find them quite often during geophys surveys

GrahamS

A staggering amount of data to mirror and process…..

I doubt they mirror everything. I am sure they’d like to, but it’d be physically impossible. Even Google only caches some websites.

bigjim
    footflaps

I doubt they mirror everything. I am sure they’d like to, but it’d be physically impossible. Even Google only caches some websites.

I mean mirror as in mirror port on a router. Apparently the do process everything, but just store meta data for a lot of it. This all came out in the Snowdon releases…

jon1973
    Free Member

nice map. what do the different colours represent, I can’t find a key.

footflaps

Different cables companies, just click on a cable to see the details….

theotherjonv

Surprised there isn’t one going to Antarctica. If i was going to be stuck in a remote research station for endless dark nights with sub-god knows what temperatures outside, the one thing i’d demand was a high quality cable connection so i could stream my grumble without buffering it.

bencooper
    Free Member

They have their own ways of entertaining themselves in Antarctica:

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/01/on-getting-naked-in-antarctica/282883/

😉

weare138
    Free Member

I was expecting a Haynes Manual image of a wiring loom from u-boat… Interesting all the same 🙂

And this is what happens to cable maintenance ships when they are no longer required.
    http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2014-12/uoha-han120514.php

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Submarine cable map.’ is closed to new replies.