Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Subforums on here?
  • dsb181
    Free Member

I’m totally new to this forum but really have found a lot of very useful and interesting information so far.

Has there ever been any mention of more sub forums? Maybe a 29er only content, a sub forum for technical maniacal advice and questions or a road bike sub forum as just a couple of suggestions.

It just seems that at the moment their seems to be for example lots of 29er threads and just as many comments complaining about them?

tazzymtb

mtbr for that chap, this is just a big old melting pot of grumpy buggers 😀

scotroutes

Imagine my disappointment

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

one of the best things about here is no subdivision. search for that.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

tazzymtb – Member
    , this is just a big old melting pot of grumpy buggers

You called……..

dsb181
    Free Member

Okay cool, I’ll check out the other site suggested too, thanks for that.

It was just an idea anyway, I enjoy using this forum too

rewski
    Free Member

I enjoy using this forum too

you are new 😉

Cougar

It’s been discussed before. The general consensus is “CHANGE IS BAD WE FEAR CHANGE THE SKY IS FALLING”, or just that people like it the way it is I guess.

If the number of threads we have to move is any indication, the current classification is too complicated for some people. (-:

Pook

what happened to the coffee lounge?

clubber
    Free Member

It’s still there but for selected users only

Vortexracing

It’s been discussed before. The general consensus is “CHANGE IS BAD WE FEAR CHANGE THE SKY IS FALLING”, or just that people like it the way it is I guess.

You should have seen the uproar when we introduced a chat AND bike section, not to mention the split WRT the sale/wanted ads. 🙄

aracer
    Free Member

… just waiting for OP to suggest avatars, PMs etc. I do always have a laugh when Mark suggests this is the largest and busiest forum in the world

hallz
    Free Member

The only tweak that i would like to see would be when following links posted by users, the link should open in a new tab / window rather than on the same tab as it does now…

scotroutes

That’s what Right-Click is for. It’s an internet usability standard.

scaredypants

does the coffee lounge really still exist ? 😯

goes to show that natural selection doesn’t work

Drac

The coffee lounge was rebranded to the chat forum due to equality and diversity we couldn’t discriminate tea drinkers.

hallz
    Free Member

How come i didnt know something thats so simple… 😳

bruneep

does the coffee lounge really still exist ?

Yes it does.

The coffee lounge was rebranded to the chat forum due to equality and diversity we couldn’t discriminate tea drinkers.

He only says that as he’s not allowed in .

Garry_Lager

sub forums are shite – mbr being the textbook example of stratification gone wild.
    It does mean the same questions get asked here again and again. And again. But no one minds – it’s a fast moving forum.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I have previously suggested sub forums but having spent a decade here I actually prefer this now. keeps everyone together discussing stuff and blending ideas instead of insular little groups. I was wrong.

Cougar

Ctrl-click.

coffeeking
    Free Member

or middle button click

molgrips
    Free Member

CHANGE IS BAD WE FEAR CHANGE THE SKY IS FALLING

Not really, I think sub forums are terrible. On some car forums, you have to dig down a few levels to find the specific forum for your model, and then no-one reads it anyway because they are all in the other sub forums.

It’s needless segregation. Would you like a pub to consist of loads of small rooms each solely for a specific topic of conversation?

Cougar

Sure, then I could avoid the football.

aracer
    Free Member

The only tweak that i would like to see would be when following links posted by users, the link should open in a new tab / window rather than on the same tab as it does now…

Now this I do agree with. Right click opens a menu, I then have to move the mouse before clicking again to open in new tab. I don’t have a middle button. CTRL click requires me to use two hands to browse, when I’d normally just use one. The question is, does anybody actually prefer it this way? You’re reading through a thread and somebody provides a link – do you click on it read it completely and then click back to go back to where you were before clicking on the next link, without having the ability to cross reference between the thread and the links, or do you think that’s interesting I’d like to read it later and carry on with the thread, having to scroll back to find the link? Or does everybody actually do the same as me and open in a new tab anyway?

Doubtless there is some reason why the STW way is preferable to how every other internet forum does it.

CountZero

Cougar – Moderator
    Sure, then I could avoid the football.

That’s why I choose pubs that either don’t have footy on or have the sound off.
    Aracer, are you really that bloody idle that moving a mouse or using two hands is too much effort? I mean, really? 🙄

aracer
    Free Member

It’s more trouble and slows down the browsing experience, and unnecessarily so.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Not if you don’t use a mouse, says Rob the (self-proclaimed) shortcut king!

njee20
    Free Member

I agree with Aracer, it’s annoying that it opens on the same page.

Sub fora are bad though. Bike Radar is dreadful. I always just look at latest posts. If you’re looking for sommat specific search for it. 96 fora wouldn’t help.

sc-xc

CTRL click requires me to use two hands to browse, when I’d normally just use one

Dirty boy

aracer
    Free Member

Currently I’m one handed browsing whilst I eat cake with the other. You’re right, my cake hand is a bit dirty.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Subforums on here?’ is closed to new replies.