• This topic has 35 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by AD.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Subaru Legacy/Outback 3.0r and Forester Turbo. Opinions please.
  • muddyfunster
    Free Member

Hi folks. I am pretty sure my next car will be one of the above. I’ve owned Subarus in the past and I’ve really enjoyed them.

I am contemplating a 3.0 legacy or outback (not overly fussed which but I’d prefer a manual so probably legacy). And I was wondering what a real world mpg figure might be? Again, I have had Subarus before so I don’t expect it to be good, just wondering how bad as I’ve not owned a flat 6.

I am also considering a Forester XT turbo. Most likely the 2.0 but ideally I’d like the 2.5. Again any real world feedback would be great. If anyone has any direct experience of the too that’d be great as well.

Budget is around 5k max so I’d be looking at 2002 – 2006 cars probaby.
    Thanks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I am also considering a Forester XT turbo. Most likely the 2.0 but ideally I’d like the 2.5. Again any real world feedback would be great. If anyone has any direct experience of the too that’d be great as well.

Budget is around 5k max so I’d be looking at 2002 – 2006 cars probaby.
    Missus got the forrester 2.5, thirsty and not that rewarding getting around the 30mpg if we are careful. Much smaller on the inside than the outside. Comfy to drive but not spectacular. I reckon we had more usable space in the Octavia and about 60% of the fuel use.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

2wd or 4wd Octavia Mike? I’m a big fan of 4wd as I live on the side of a mountain, untreated roads and trips into the country are inevitable as are trips into fields, forests and some towing. I also like it as it means my wife can get out and about if she really needs to in the snow, and I won’t worry quite so much.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@mike – no 4wd on the Skoda so not really a fair comparison. I looked at Legacy / Forrester but bought an Audi A6 Quattro, aside from build quality the fuel economy was a factor, we get high 30’s all round, mid 40’s plus on a run from 2.7 auto diesel. On an older petrol Subi I would think 30 average would be normal, perhaps even sub.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

2wd Octavia, grew up on a farm and lived in the country great fan of proper tyres if required, 4wd never really needed for me.

Oh and the other thing with the forrester is for something with a drinking habit it has a very small tank.

jambalaya
    Free Member

great fan of proper tyres

In fairness to you some well selected tyres on a good fwd will go a long way.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

my main point was really for what is an estate car the usable space is poor and the fuel consumption is high compared to something I also drove. It’s expensive enough at Australian prices for fuel IMHO let alone UK prices. I reckon I was getting similar fuel consumption in my LWB Transit fairly well loaded back in the UK.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

Thanks Mike. I’d rather not get into the 2wd with winter tyres vs 4wd debate as it’s played out and I know which I prefer. I’m prepared (I think) for bad fuel economy as currently the car gets used about twice a week as I’ve started cycling to work a lot.

I’ve gone from about £80 – £100 a month to maybe £30-£50 a month in a diesel golf. I’m stilled worried that either scooby might be just be super thirsty and that stated mpg figures might be a total lie. 30mpg would be tolerable.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Quick cals cays about 30 but that was empty… round town and short stuff it’s less and when loaded it’s less.

sfinnie
    Free Member

Any reason for not looking at diesels? 40+ mpg from our legacy. Not too many around but they can be found.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

sfinnie

Any reason for not looking at diesels? 40+ mpg from our legacy. Not too many around but they can be found.

I hadn’t really, mainly on a cost basis as I didn’t think there would be much to choose from without spaceship miles. I might have also convinced myself that I hate diesels, and what little driving I was going to be doing in future I wanted to enjoy, although that’s mostly whimsy and could be changed.

If I could bring myself to get a diesel I’d throw the net out to include Audis, VWs, Volvos, Skodas etc but every time I test drive them I’m just left cold.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I might have also convinced myself that I hate diesels, and what little driving I was going to be doing in future I wanted to enjoy, although that’s mostly whimsy and could be changed.

I enjoyed all the things the money I saved bought me 🙂 Most modern diesels are fine unless you want a rally car.

zokes
    Free Member

I enjoyed all the things the money I saved bought me Most modern diesels are fine unless you want a rally car.

Having test driven the diesel and petrol turboed forresters, I can safely say that one is stupidly fast, and one isn’t.

Northwind

I wanted a Forester but they’re not that big inside, bit deceptive- they’ve got quite a lot of presence but they’re not physically massive.

If I could have found an Outback with a decent engine when I was shopping, I’d have one now.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Having test driven the diesel and petrol turboed forresters, I can safely say that one is stupidly fast, and one isn’t.

They both go stupidly fast just one gets there quicker but you also have to throw £5 notes out the window to make it do that.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve owned both the Legacy and a Forester. Sorry a 2.5 isn’t that quick? How do you drive? I can make a C1 seem very quick.

Legacy exhausts have a mid section that can rot- check that.

The only thing I’d say is wait for one with full history. I saw loads where the owner reckoned no expense eyc but it’d been down the arches for a £40 oil change and a stamp. Diffs etc need oil changes on a schedule. So buy full Subaru history to date and your laughing.

Crazy enough you can average 30mpg* in the 3.0R. I once got 50mpg on my Legacy on the motorway. Weird!

*In a MK1 1.6 manual Focus I never beat 33mpg average.

zokes
    Free Member

They both go stupidly fast just one gets there quicker but you also have to throw £5 notes out the window to make it do that.

All right, I’ll rephrase:

Having test driven the diesel and petrol turboed forresters, I can safely say that one accelerates stupidly quickly, and one doesn’t.

chalky

I own an imported 97 Forester STi. Very rapid and fun in the snow. Fuel economy, pah!

You should buy this. It’s a steal at 900. Could just require an oil change to make it right.

http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/3114-its-a-steal-or-not/

br
    Free Member

Check the tax, as the Outback 3.0i can be £460pa.

richmars

I’ve got a 2 litre Forester, and really enjoy it, but agree about the comment about the size. I think the problem is the floor is high, so reducing space inside. only a problem if you need to carry a load of bikes, for shifting logs, down muddy tracks it’s been fine, about 32mpg.

One thing with the 2.5 litre, I don’t think (may be wrong) you get the hi/lo ratio box.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

I’ve just got an ’06 Outback 3.0Rn. It’s a great car, comfy, well equipped, big boot as well as all the traditional Subaru virtues. It’s also, in traditional quick Subaru style, ridiculously quick for the type of car and makes a great, if very smooth and refined flat 6 noise.
    However, if fuel consumption is important to you, you’ll want to add up all of the ownership costs. I’d be amazed if you can actually average 30mpg over a whole tank unless that tank is spent entirely on a gentle cruising journey. I got 28.8 driving from Edinburgh to Aberdeen late at night with cruise set at an indicated 77mph, so probably really doing 70-72. That’s the best I’ve seen so far. Just around town it might scrape 20mpg, depending on your definition of town driving. If you live out of town and don’t have traffic to contend with and are mostly doing longish journeys, you’ll probably get 25mpg. I’m expecting 22mpg for my mix of town and longer trips and so far it’s giving about that. My old Turbo Imprezas were the same, and Turbo Foresters similar.
    However, it’s worth pointing out that I carefully added up the whole ownership costs (including servicing, depreciation, risk of a sudden big bill etc) as compared to the other options for me (BMW 530d and 535d of a similar age) and over the couple of years I expect to have it, there’s not much in it, the Subaru will use £900 – £1000 more fuel per year, but the maintenance and initial purchase price balances it out, plus the Subaru reliability is a big sell, my previous car was a 530d and I loved it but it cost a lot of money service and fix.
    On Foresters, they also good cars, but as others have said, not huge. My wife had an early one at the same time as I had my classic shape Impreza Wagons, and although you would swear that it couldn’t possibly be true, it was within an inch of the same length, bumper to bumper, and width across the mirrors. The Forester was much squarer, so it seemed bigger inside and would take a bike with the wheels off upright across the boot, but it’s not actually a very big car, Think Focus estate sized. The Foresters are a bit more deliberately farmer-ish in target market and interior trim compared to the Legacy / Outback, which is quite posh for a Subaru.

hora
    Free Member

The Forester, for me was my number one car that I’ve owned/driven. Not the fastest but boy it was a character/fun over its limit. **** the interior space. Its a compromise but boy its so much fun. I loved the way it tracter-beamed into roundabouts. Almost as though it was been reeled in by a giant fishing rod/line 😀

withersea
    Free Member

If you’re looking for a large petrol engine, 4WD, comfy car look for a Nissan Murano pre 55 plate for cheap road tax. Will do some off reading, but it’s not as competent as proper off readers. But it is very comfy and well specced and will tow a small village behind it 🙂 choice of tyres is a bit limited though.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Not the fastest but boy it was a character/fun over its limit. **** the interior space. Its a compromise but boy its so much fun

All Subarus are like that, as far as I can tell. Differing characters between the models, but always fun and always recognisably Subaru in overall feel. Tremendous balance and stability with just enough adjustability to the handling to be fun. Great cars to hustle along back roads and they always feel up for it, which is pretty much why I am back in one.
    However, if it is the best handling car you’ve driven, you need a shot in an older BMW with a decent sized engine (330i, 530i sport from pre ’04) It’d totally recalibrate your understanding of ride / handling balance and the big 5s in particular are astonishing in their ability to feel refined and wafty then absolutely demolish a twisty back road. How they make those things so solid feeling at a cruise but so agile is amazing.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I loved the way it tracter-beamed into roundabouts

tracer beam or tractor ? Too much star-trek 🙂

Check the tax, as the Outback 3.0i can be £460pa.

This is worth doing but I think the older ones are except from the “new” higher road tax charges

Edit: table here, date cut off is 2001 so earlier than I thought so cars you are looking at will be subject to new charges.

hora
    Free Member

Tractor-beam well it does look agricultural…

Pre-2006 is lower VED

jambalaya
    Free Member

@horaI thought the cutoff was around 2006 but table above suggests not

Edit – just checked table again – yes 2006 is the date to check for – road tax capped

chalky

I own an imported 97 Forester STi. Very rapid and fun in the snow. Fuel economy, pah!

You should buy this. It’s a steal at 900. Could just require an oil change to make it right.

http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/3114-its-a-steal-or-not/

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

As said above, the Forester is not a big car, but for it’s size the boot is very useable. the rear luggage cover can be removed and the seats folded in ten seconds, to give a flat load area. No winding or unclipping necessary. It’s a good compromise between height and length.
    If you can get 30mpg anywhere except the motorway, in any Subaru, you’re doing well/ collecting a queue.
    I’ve had two Foresters and an Outback. I preferred the Foresters- side headroom in the OB wasn’t great, but it was an old one.
    Three people/bikes and all the schmutter is possible with wheels off.

quintet100
    Free Member

I had a legacy 55 plate 3 litre r auto fully loaded, great car wish I had never sold it. Mid 20’s to the gallon but wasn’t bothered about that. Very quick aswell.

coopersport1
    Free Member

On an older 2.0T Forester you’ll be around mid 20’s if your lucky, long journey carefully driven might see 30mpg

MrNero50
    Free Member

Got a 2.5l Petrol Auto Outback here. Get about 25 mpg round town, journeys of around 60 mile with out of town driving around 33 mpg and on a run from Yorkshire to Dorset at the weekend, got 39 mpg.

Knew it wasn’t going to be economical, but found the clutch on the manual far too heavy for my liking.

Saccades
    Free Member

2.5L 4×4 estate…

X-Type?

hora
    Free Member

If you are set on a Forester you may be better waiting a few months (?). Is the Forester seasonal/rare/high demabd in winter?

I’m buying another in the NY 🙂

Oh and if the back end steps out…..don’t lift off the gas 😆

muddyfunster
    Free Member

hora

If you are set on a Forester you may be better waiting a few months (?). Is the Forester seasonal/rare/high demabd in winter?

I’m buying another in the NY

Oh and if the back end steps out…..don’t lift off the gas

I’ve been watching them for a while and I havent noticed any massive hikes in price as such.

robinlaidlaw
    The Foresters are a bit more deliberately farmer-ish in target market and interior trim compared to the Legacy / Outback, which is quite posh for a Subaru.

For what I have in mind for it, this farmerish aspect is appealing. I’ve driven a few and had a poke about in them and I quite like the utilitarian, basic side to the forester. Conversely, I love the legacy, loved my old one, but the 3.0 r spec B I drove recently was almost too nice. I’d feel bad throwing dirty bikes and firewood etc into it.

Ideally I need a family car and a van or truck, but the wife has said we can only have one vehicle, and it has to be a comfortable family car, big enough for us and two young kids, and I need it to be a work horse! 🙄

AD

I have a 51 plate Forester S and its been a great car. Fast, handles well, robust and frankly its agricultural enough for me not to bother about the kids clambering about in it or if it picks up the odd scratch down a muddy track somewhere. As others have said though – it is a thirsty thing and they’re not that big inside.

Definitely don’t regret buying it and when it dies I’ll probably buy a newer one.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Subaru Legacy/Outback 3.0r and Forester Turbo. Opinions please.’ is closed to new replies.