Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Subaru Legacy diesel estate, can anyone tell me about them please
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Thinking of getting one when I sell my Vrs Octavia.

Phrases I’m looking for are:

Excellent cars, cheap to run, cheap to insure, reasonable servicing costs, very reliable, great fun to drive, huge estate, superb road holding, great in the snow and ice,

*delete where appropriate

feel free to add to the list if you feel the urge.

martymac

dunno about the legacy in particular, but subarus in general must be pretty bulletproof, there are a LOT of almost 20yr old ones going about, and still in fairly good nick too.
    my m8 has a mid 90s impreza, just a normal 2 litre, no turbo, he says its not that fast, but sticks to the road like shit to a blanket.
    im thinking about getting one, just dont know if i could live with the fuel consumption.

martymac

also, last winter, it was one of about 4 cars that actually made it into work every day. (snow/ice etc.)

anc
    Free Member

My sti impreza is rubbish in the snow… but that’s down to the tyres and the power. Under wet and dry conditions their grip is awesome. We looked at the diesel leggy when we got the new passat the only thing that put me off was the new subaru diesel engine was a bit noisy(bag of nails) compared to modern diesel’s from other brands… And more importantly the boss/wife liked the VW.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I have one. It is most of those things. More fun to drive than the 3 series estate I had before it. Boot not as high but longer than my wife’s Forester. With a family inside and a roof rack on mpg is about 40 to 42. Which is not as good as the bmw was, and the engines has less poke. But it’s a keeper. The engine does sound like a diesel unlike the BMW but I can live with that. Dealers were willing to negotiate a fair bit when I was buying. Also it just feels tougher than recent cars I have had. And when someone hit us head on with a closing speed of 100ish in our last forester, we all walked away.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Mate has an 06 version, it’s brilliant by all accounts. He’s had all sorts of stuff in the past and says it’s the best car he’s ever had. He’s a small family and chucks his ptichPro in the back no problemo.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

My sister has one, she loves it but claims it’s thirsty. She’s a community Dr in a rural area and says she can rely on it starting first time in an emergency. It’s been driven on sand, battered in fields, it didn’t notice the harsh winter and does a lot of hard miles. Her three labradors fit in it easily, compared to other cars she’s had that the dogs have trashed the boot of the Subaru just looks solid inside. Its a proper workhorse, in the 2 years she’s had it i bet it’s never had a proper wash, but it looks better grubby.

ivantate
    Free Member

Mate at work has one, 59 plate now with 70k miles and never had a problem. Tyre wear etc is all good and averaging 48mpg while being driven at high motorway speeds.

I like them but they are not massive (also a good point for parking) and there is very little leg room in the passenger footwell for some reason.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Subaru Legacy diesel estate, can anyone tell me about them please’ is closed to new replies.