Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Sub £500 commuting road bike recommendations
  • smatkins1
    Free Member

Can I hear some recommendations for a sub £500 road bike for commuting 12miles each way to work.

I’ll need guards and a pannier too.

I think I’d prefer a full on road bike, but I’ve never owed a road bike before so don’t know what I’m looking at.

The further below £500 the better! I was looking second hand… but a new sora equipped cube pelaton looks tasty.

crosshair
    Free Member

Sora spec BTwin Triban 500 from Decathalon is sub 10kg with carbon fork and is £430 I think.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-road-bike-id_8306944.html

sandwicheater

Not the lightest but for £500 it is good value/ticks all your boxes. Revolution Country Traveller for £499

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-country-traveller-15?bct=browse%2fbicycles%2ftouring-bikes

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You won’t get guards and a pannier on a full on road bike.

What you need for that is a lightweight tourer or audax style bike like the genesis equilibrium. Even if a racing bike has pannier rack mount’s it doesnt make them useable, even on my tourer with really long chainstays the bags only just clear my heels in their most rearward position, and you don’t really want shorter chainstays with panniers even if there is clerance or you’ll wheelie everywhere.

Something like this:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genesis-Oo-Equilibrium-/191517747331?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c9758e883

Depending on what you need to commute with, I went off panniers as it was a hastle to pack them every day, stuff inevitably got creased, etc, and prefer to just cycle in with a 30l rucksack every other week, much nicer if you can leave everything at work.

Mudguards are essential though, and 28c tyres are nice when you’re not racing a TT!.

sellisnba
    Free Member

Shameless plug……..

I have a sora equipped allez sport for sale. Perfect for commuting and its cheap.
    I can mail you some pics and info if you are interested.
    Cheers

smatkins1
    Free Member

Shame on you sellisnba! Email’s in profile. I’m Sussex based and 5ft 10″

The not bring able to attach guards and panniers to a road bike did concern me. I found a few threads on other forums suggesting it was possible using p-clips and some guards will apparently fit in the tightest of spaces.

themilo
    Free Member

Triban 3 here. Raceblade guards and planners no problem. Plus I’m not that bothered if it gets ruined by all year commutes. The wheels are a bit week and the saddle, for me, was shocking but other than that very happy.

g5604
    Free Member

Flat bar singlespeed is the way to go if you want hassle free commuting. £500 will get you something nice and light second hand.

grantyboy
    Free Member

I’m selling on a Kona Sutra if of any interest?

Northwind

thisisnotaspoon – Member

You won’t get guards and a pannier on a full on road bike.

True but at £500 a lot of bikes are designed with it in mind.

smatkins1
    Free Member

My email’s in profile grantyboy if you could send me a few more details.

Lots of suggestions here I hadn’t considered. Much appreciated!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The not bring able to attach guards and panniers to a road bike did concern me. I found a few threads on other forums suggesting it was possible using p-clips and some guards will apparently fit in the tightest of spaces.

True but at £500 a lot of bikes are designed with it in mind.

Agreed, and anything’s possible, but one more thing to have to figure out how to get them to fit Vs something with propper mounts and long drop brakes and decent clerances.

Put it this way, the raceblades on my winter road bike work acceptably well, they need tweekeing every so often, they rub a little bit, and they need aligning if I’m not fastidiously carefull whilst fixing a puncture. BUT I don’t even notice the Chromoplastics on my commuter are there. The difference being, commuting by bike is a faff already, the last thing you need is to add faff and discomfort unececeraly! A reliable bike, comfortable, thats nice and enjoyable to ride with guards.

Having access to a rigid MTB, a tourer/commuter, and a road bike with guards, the road bike is always my last option unless I actualy want to ride it (i.e never in Febuary!) .

kimbers

I got one of these for my 20 mile daily commute in london

the large is ok for me at 5’8 at 5’10 youd be fine

but guards, discs (very important on an all weather commuter) 1×9 gearing, rack mounts didnt see anything that comes close to it on price, especially using the BC one off discount- £315 !
    ive flipped the stem and stuck some spds on and its been brilliant
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/kona-dew-deluxe-stubby-bike-2013/rp-prod119470

( i never fitted the basket)

ads678

I’ve got a triban 5 £430 from decathlo, put crud raceguards on it. Not had any issues with it at all commuting for the last year. great bike. definitely recommended.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Sub £500 commuting road bike recommendations’ is closed to new replies.