Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Sub £300 mobile advice please….
  • onlysteel
    Free Member

Christmas is coming and no.1 son is dropping broad hints re a new mobile – currently has a cheap HTC with Tesco, his 1st phone. The financial controller has set a £300 tops budget, and likely to be Giffgaff, which she uses. So: £300, unlocked and suitable for all the stuff your average 13 year old yoof considers essential to modern living. Preliminary research suggests:
    HTC One Mini 2 (£275)
    Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini (£300)
    via Giffgaff
    or Motorola Moto G16mb which is considerably cheaper from Argos, free sim from Giffgaff.
    What’s the view of the Singletrack massive?
    Thanks in anticipation.

MikeG

Nexus 5 and giffgaff sim? £270ish from amazon

thebunk
    FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why not a cheap one for £80 Tha will do everything, or is peer pressure important?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

You can get a Lumia 930 for £300. It’s a top of the range Windows Phone – nice camera, wireless charging, 5″ screen

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=24247&setcurrency=gbp

z1ppy

no.1 son is dropping broad hints re a new mobile

Then ask him what model he wants!
    No point buying him a android phone if all his m8’s have apple and use “facetime” to talk (peer pressure is ace), m8’s 11 year old daughter just spent all her saving (pocket money over several years) on one because all her m8’s have/use one (she was hogging her mums phone). Cheap and cheerful the Moto 4G is very good value and a great device IMO but no use to your son unless he want it.

murf
    Free Member

I just got a 2nd gen Moto G and it’s brilliant. Best feature so far is the dual sim card slot, no more carrying a 2nd phone for work 🙂

thehustler
    Free Member

Galaxy S4 mini £119 in three shop, thats got to be hard to beat

ji
    Free Member

Nexus 5 is a great phone (although just being replaced by the 6) but will do everything he wants I suspect

chestrockwell

You can get a Lumia 930 for £300. It’s a top of the range Windows Phone – nice camera, wireless charging, 5″ screen

I’ve got one of those and like it very much. Camara is ace.

My fiance changed to the next model up after seeing mine. She moved from an Iphone and doesn’t regret it.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses……sadly peer pressure is playing it’s part.
    Mum’s taken him to footie with a brief to ask a few discrete questions re what mates have: Apple vs Android? Interested in the Nexus comments too.

plyphon
    Free Member

https://oneplus.net/uk

One Plus, if you can find an invite to purchase one.

singlesteed
    Free Member

Just got my ma a Motorola G 4G and the interface is lightening fast as a smart phone.

Murf – what exact model have you got, is it the 5″ HD screen one ?
    Also how do you find battery?
    Is 32GB all it’s really expandable to!?

I’m actually seriously considering selling my iphone 5 to get a £149 Motorola G 4G or the 5″ screen version!

What’s android like these days for user friendliness?

andyl
    Free Member

Pure android is great IMO. Can’t stand the modified versions from HTC and Samsung.

porkscratching
    Free Member

+1 for the Moto G 2nd Gen. £150 from Motorola themselves. Android not badly mucked about with, sd card slot, decent screen and dual sim. What’s not to like.

inbred853

Just bought a Moto G 2nd gen and have my personal and work sims in it along with a 32GB SD card, the only thing that would make it truly excellent would be a removable battery, saying that it’s lasting 2.5 days with normal use.
    This is my first android phone after having a Nokia Lumia, not that much difference, although I found the windows UI is simpler to use.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

If he’s like the 1200 kids at my work. Answer will be… Iphone

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Sub £300 mobile advice please….’ is closed to new replies.