Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Sub 2K 4×4 touch enough for a farm and 30mpg?
  • alexxx
    Free Member

Looking for a bit of a work horse thats comfy enough as a daily driver of 40miles 3x a week. Thinking a discovery but not convince it wont rust to bits before it’s been collected. Any experience?

Thanks

sharkattack

Impreza

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

Daihatsu Foutrak

joeegg
    Free Member

Nissan Terrano 2.7 tdi.Had one for 9 years and no faults.Sold to a friend and now 14 years old apart from routine servicing the front wheelbearings needed adjusting.Probably just about manage 30mpg.Selectable 4wd and low ratio box.

burko73

Ford ranger mk 2 for a farm.

PePPeR

Hyundai Terracan.

reasonable economy for a 2.9lt engine, loads of room and good 4×4 abilities.

Vern0n
    Free Member

Imprezza … or Outlander?!

cp

Subaru legacy outback

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Subaru Forester. Drives like a very comfy car.Handles farm stuff, mud, snow etc no probs. Tough as old boots too.

cp

Forester, very very good call

richmars

The last 26k miles have averaged 32.8mpg in my 2 litre Forester. Nothing major wrong, plus a far bit of off road mud and snow.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

what sort of farm stuff? Deep med and all that or just a non tarmac drive?

totalshell

suzuki jimny my dads does everything a landy would and more

trail_rat
    Free Member

“suzuki jimny my dads does everything a landy would and more”

except have the ability to tow or carry a decent load – for off road ability they are unstoppable though.

i vote – 2.2 DTI frontera.

tows 2.7 tons – does 32mpg on a run and doesnt rot badly like alot of 4x4s – its restricted to a small bit of rot on the back of the rear bumper.

cheap and cheap parts – and underrated – ESP if you find one with the LSD in the rear – pulled out a heap of other 4x4s with mine – although i always ran proper winter all terrains.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

except have the ability to tow or carry a decent load

Is that important to the OP?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

For farm stuff, I’d imagine so.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

there is a wide range of “Farm Stuff” so kind of more info needed…

trail_rat
    Free Member

no load needed then used quad bike and small trailer + a cheap car ….

both will be better at their intended job…..

5thElefant
    Free Member

no load needed then used quad bike and small trailer + a cheap car ….

both will be better at their intended job…..
    A cheap quad and trailer costs more than two grand.

trail_rat
    Free Member

depends where you are …..

quite a few late 80s and 90s quads kicking about described as GWO for 600-1k where i am.

kristoff
    Free Member

I’d forget the discovery idea.. Well unless realistically you’re happy with mid 20’s to the gallon?!

andyl
    Free Member

Lots of cheap 4x4s. Having a roof will be a lot nicer than being out in a quad in the rain.

Get something small and easy to manoeuvre and cheaper to run. Unless you need to tow a trailer over 750kg.

seadog101

My Forester on an 05 plate 68,000 mile, 2.0 X just went to a farmer for £2000.

As long as you are not going so off-road as to need diff locks then it’s a great choice. Drives like a car, thinks it’s a tank.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Nissan terrano nothing comes close for all round ability with reliability. That 2.7 engine is the same as the ones used in london taxi cabs.

ninfan
    Free Member

Normal car

plus a dirt cheap MOT failure or write off 4X4 (reregistered as agricultural use only) for scooting about on the farm – or even better an old tractor.

willard

Another vote for the Frontera here. Mine was a great shooting vehicle and returned about 35 mpg when on roads. With the right tyre it can be a good all round 4×4.

Watch out for Landys of any marque for that money though. It’s likey that they will be rotten/knackered for that price and they will get nowhere near 30 mpg.

trail_rat
    Free Member

And based on ninfans suggestiong. Where are you based.

I am putting my frontera up spare or repairs soon( has 6months tax and test but needs fuel lines and brake lines for next mot) as ive had my hand forced on getting something newer and safer – im not letting mrs-tr transport other peoples kids in the jeep so have bought another berlingo in multispace flavour.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Watch out for Landys of any marque for that money though. It’s likey that they will be rotten/knackered for that price and they will get nowhere near 30 mpg.

Rusty quite possibly, 30 mpg no problem as long as you avoid the petrol engines. TDi disco will do 30 mpg no bother.

Edit: surely a landy can only be the one marque though?

5thElefant
    Free Member

He was after a car, not a hobby. 😉

cozz
    Free Member

cant believe no one has had the right answer yet

TROOPER

trail_rat
    Free Member

Only if you find a 3.0td or an older 2.8mechanical injection.

The 3.1s can be horrendous for the heads going.

Troupers that aint rotten hold their value well as well .

cozz
    Free Member

you are wrong there

3.0 had probs with some engines (although most were factory recalled and new ones fitted)

3.1 was a great engine, and very highly regarded

I loved the 3.5 v6 – that was a quick un

Ive had 7 troopers over the years

farmers use them for a reason, they are tough, so are the fourtraks, but prob harder to find a good un as they are getting older now

trail_rat
    Free Member

Interesting opinion. Both my trouper nutjob mates swear by the 3.0 and swear at the 3.1. Your right on the 3.5v6s we had the mitsubishi 3.5v6 in nz where fuel was cheaper. It was great fun to drive 🙂

Most of the farmers round my way run early 2000 rangers or isuzu rodeos but you wont get them for less than 2k

mattsccm
    Free Member

Can agree with the Jimny. It will carry all you can fit in. Believe tow weight is 1600kg. Mine is great on and off road and does 37 average commuting on open roads and then 5 miles of stop start each way.
    Equally my 110 has a 2,8 Isuzu in it and does 30 on long drives.
    2.8’s were the default replacement (even new) when your not too old 3.0 and 3.1’s died

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Sub 2K 4×4 touch enough for a farm and 30mpg?’ is closed to new replies.