Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Sub £1k drop barred, alfine hubbed disc braked bike – does it exist?
  • marvincooper

Liked the look of the Pompetamine Versa but can’t find it on the On-One website. The Day-One looks perfect but is too expensive. Is there anything else out there at around a grand or less? Would only be able to get it if I set up a bike to work scheme. Want something that will tackle light off road, potholed country lanes and not eat it’s own drivechain.

drlex
    Free Member

On-one were doing the 8-speed Alfine Pomp with mech. BB7s for £599 – add versa & drops for £200, leaving you change for ‘guards?

imnotverygood

Cotic roadrat?

federalski
    Free Member

The Planet x Kaffenback is an option.
    I’ve been hovering over the buy button these past few days…

trail_rat
    Free Member

I put a roadrat with drops and alfine together for under 1000

But only cause i scored a cheap versa set up.

Bought the flat bar model on c2w and fitted a short stem and bars o suit

jools182
    Free Member
    marvincooper

Blimey that Day One is in my size and a massive bargain. But I don’t have the money right now 🙁

Is the Roadrat OK with drops, not too twitchy with a short stem?

That On-one looks good too, and thanks I hadn’t spotted the Kaffenback.

So I have a few options, just need to look into setting up the C2W scheme now.

Cheers all, and more suggestions welcomed!

drlex
    Free Member

Recent anecdote on Day One – Clicky – make of it what you will.

boblo
    Free Member

Conclusion: numpty can’t get hub gears to work and blames bike…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Sorry drlex but 2 setups the same in our house

Only thing i will say is madison supply their dayone alfines with terrible cabling …. The grey stufff.

Replaced jaynes wi sp41 throughout after about 2 weeks as she complained about slippage of gears and i couldnt ge tit to stop

Change cable , jobs done.

Parker do reels of the stuff cheap.

drlex
    Free Member

No problem, trail_rat – it’s likely that your cabling solution would help. Just offered it as another data point- I have a S/H pomp with flat bars & 11 speed Alfine and it’s been a joy in the year since I bought it. Only downside was the stupid cost of the Shimano oil, so bought Rohloff cleaning kit to reduce the amount required.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Sub £1k drop barred, alfine hubbed disc braked bike – does it exist?’ is closed to new replies.