Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Sub-£100 helmet light
  • rocketman
    Free Member

Looking for a fit-and-forget light to replace my ancient Vision 2.

Matey has an MJ-808 which keeps on going despite frequent intense neglect. Is there anything else I should be looking at in the sub-£100 category?

Not fussed about the latest-and-greatest I just want something with a good output that does its job

Cheers

binners

Smudge is your man @ MTB Batteries

absolutely unbeatable for under £100. Helmet or bar mount

aidso
    Free Member

There’s also the MJ-872 that comes in under £100 :).

Aside from the MagicShines, I use a P7 torch with a mount. I think it cost me about £22 with 2 lithium batteries and a charger.
    Batteries (one a time) only last an hour on full beam but I only switch it on when the trail becomes a roller coaster and turn it off again when I get back to a path.

rocketman
    Free Member

Thanks for MTB batteries link – it looks dangerously like an MJ-808 in a different case or am I missing something?

Thanks aidso I got an 872 last year just want a smaller light to supplement it

AlexSimon

re: MTB batteries
    The beam pattern is different to magicshine and Smudge can supply a lightweight battery option which is good for putting on the helmet.

Personally, I use a flood on the bars and a spot on the helmet. The spot is a dealextreme torch:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/uniquefire-l2-cree-xpg-r5-320-lumen-led-flashlight-black-2-16340-1-18650-33550
    Which lasts an hour which is loads for just the descents.

ransos
    Free Member

Smudge +1. I keep the battery in my camelbak. Plenty bright enough for my needs.

rocketman
    Free Member

OK thanks for the info re: MTB Batteries

Sadly out of stock at the mo’ but I can wait.

z1ppy

Thanks for MTB batteries link – it looks dangerously like an MJ-808 in a different case or am I missing something?

[EDIT: Darn too slow]

Yes your missing something, the price reflect the reliability & support Smudge supplies, something majorly missing from MagicShine lights.
    But then if you don’t feel you need that, going by your m8’s experience , by all means go for the MJ-808 or clone. Some ppl prefer a decent UK supplier, some can live without it…

Personnally this year I’d be saving up the extra to buy V2000 twin XML myself.
    Neninja also sells a more main line brand unit but it’s not cheap.

AlexSimon

There’s a brighter torch from dealextreme which apparently fits in the Exposure helmet mount.
    I haven’t tried it, but I’m tempted.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafire-wf504b-xm-lt6-5-mode-510-lumen-white-led-flashlight-with-strap-black-1-x-18650-57099

Again – no use if it’s your only light as runtimes are only 1h.

z1ppy

That’s got to be the same size as the MJ-872, it might be possible to put one on your head, but I wouldn’t… far to big [IMHO of course]

PS: Interesting (bar) light though, but like the fluxient one sold on fleabay, I do wonder how well it will handle the heat build up.

PS #2: For the cheap and cheerful Chinese lights crowd, try this twin XML units

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

XML U2 torch

I’ve just ordered one,having had good experience of P7 torches used with lock block fittings before.Run time is limited but batteries are so cheap I just carry a spare or 2 and a lot less faff than a battery pack and leads.Total cost was £8.60…………

Will post feedback when I`ve tried it.

z1ppy

I love my p7 torches and still carry them as backup, but found them a tad heavy on my helmet & tough to get stable on the bars.
    So I prefer the remote battery option, but each to there own.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Zippy this is in the same body as my 501b.Much lighter than the P7.Never had a problem with them as a helmet mount.

I sort of agree with the bar fitting.Best bar solution I used was a lash up with an old Cateye mount.Lock blocks are convenient but too flexy.Deal extreme mount looked good but broke first time out.

Northwind

Smudge’s backup is ace, but at the end of the day it’s a decent light but at the price, you could get a fantastic light. It’s noticably better than the dealextreme XML light but then, it’s a bit crap frankly.

I won’t recommend a specific model since there’s probably newer, hotter lights, but the MJ-872 I use is sub-£100 and kicks the bejeesus out of these. Mine came with a sealed battery and quality UK charger as well. It’s the first light I used that I thought “this is enough”, and it still outperforms some very expensive lights. There’s other very similiar lights, and some newer ones that might well be better.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Sub-£100 helmet light’ is closed to new replies.