Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Sub £100 bikes
  • onandon
    Free Member

sub £100 bikes

My 70 year old dad wants a bike for pottering to the shops on so i though id pick him up something from e-bay for a few quid.
    i cant believe the price people are bidding for absolute junk , some absolute shite went for £70 + today.

anyway , that go me thinking about the budget mtb's you can pick up at ASDA ,tesco etc

what are your thoughts ? shite and dont bother ?

Oh, it will be kept out doors all year only covered with a tarp so hence the reason for not going for anything "special"

ivnickkate
    Free Member

Apparently ASDA are selling bikes at no profit at the moment, I think that they would be ideal for what your Dad requires.

If you have a Recycling centre near you, take a box of Jaffa cakes and see what the guys on site can get you.

In the last year I have acquired a Spesh Rockhopper, a Spesh Hardrock, a mint retro Saracen, a Giant Terrago disc, and several low budget mint condition bikes from my local Recycling centre, I have passed these bikes onto friends and family for no cost, just to get them into cycling.

onandon
    Free Member

I actually visited my 3 local recycling centers but they didn't have anything at all.

I was surprised as the total lack of anything bike related.

Asda it is then : )

Spongebob
    Free Member

Sub £100 bikes are nasty!

onandon
    Free Member

yes they are so please share some of your deep wisdom with what you would do?

vdubber67
    Free Member

Have a look on your local gumtree? I regularly see cheap bike on the Nottingham one. Lots of crap MTBs, but a few passable 70s/80s road bikes for about £40….

Spongebob
    Free Member

I'd get a secondhand bike that originally cost £200-300, pehaps more. It just comes down to price and condition.

Ebay might be a good route, but as you say, people often pay over the odds.

Ask all your friends to ask around.

You might find a bike pops up pretty quick.

NormalMan

What about the one that Chipps rode an issue or two ago? (from Halfords iirc)

rolfharris
    Free Member

Where are you? We have a 2nd hand but VGC Trek 750 Multitrack that'd do nicely- STX 7 speed everything, brank new Shimano back wheel, Tange steel frame, Shimano canti brakes. Bit of surface rust on the stem but otherwise it's lovely. Comes with full guards and a rack for £120, but could sort something out if you want?

rich-6
    Free Member

I picked this up from the tip with bent forks and a nackered headset, got it for nothing and spend £60 on some bombers and a headset, threw a spare set of tyres, saddle, new chain and removed the lights reflectors and whatsnot on it to tidy it up and tadaa

It now has wider bars and shorter stem as i couldnt get on with them and its now my commuter for pretty much everywhere within reasonable distance, goes like stink too 8)

Its my best find from the tip, I had some good raleighs when i was younger but nothing of a decent brand

onandon
    Free Member

Hi Rolf , I'm in Fleet Hampshire.
    sound interesting though , depending where you are .

i just popped to the local tip and they didn't have anything again.

i have a about a week to sort out a bike so keep these suggestions coming .

PS rich-6 thats a great bike for not allot of cash: )

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Sub £100 bikes’ is closed to new replies.