Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Stylish cycle/commuting clothing
  • molgrips
    Free Member

What are your recommendations for stylish cycling clothing for a woman? Possibly semi-casual for commuting purposes… looked at Rapha but wasn’t impressed.

Less expensive the better I suppose.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What’s the commute like? Distance, etc?

molgrips
    Free Member

Short, urban. I’m more looking for brands to show someone else rather than a specific purchase.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Short, urban.

Then no need for specific clothing, IMO. In fact, many female commuters I talk to who do such rides say that they get treated better on the roads if they’re wearing a nice dress instead of “proper” cycling clothing.

No need to be one of THEM….

ourmaninthenorth

Normal clothes.

Part of the probelm with cycling in this country is, like everything else we British do, it is assumed that we need special equipment for each aspect of it.

StirlingCrispin

http://www.bspoke.co.uk/

I picked up some trousers and shorts for less than £20 each in the sale and they’re superb value at that price, and would be competitive at full-price. Some of the styling is a bit frumpy though, if that bothers you.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You’d be better off in some stylish trousers with lycra woven into them so they both bend and flex then return to original form. As for a top well a neat jacket covering what you would normally wear would be goodm again lycra woven in ot too..
    I guess really you’d be able to pick up anything as Women seem to have this linda thing covered in every day wear..
    If you are talking about specifics, and cheap, then you’ll end up looking like the rest of the commuting fleet and Endura will be de rigure.. It’s nice enough.
    But you don;t really need to go that route do you??

miketually
    Free Member

I do a short, urban commute. I ride in my normal clothes.

It’s just a little bike ride, not the Tour.

BadlyWiredDog

Have a look at minx-girl.com

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Part of the probelm with cycling in this country is, like everything else we British do, it is assumed that we need special equipment for each aspect of it.

^^This. Lots of this. ^^

It’s just a little bike ride, not the Tour.

^^And then lots of this^^

The Dutch approach is what we need to aspire to. People treating a bike journey as just that, a journey on a bike. It’s not a race, it’s just a mode of transport. Do you ever see a thread entitled, “What clothes to get on a train?”. Of course not, it’s just another mode of transport.

The sooner more urban/commuter cyclists look more like human beings and less like Altura-clad stormtroopers (With the inherent RLJ/Twuntlike riding characteristics) the better.

thomthumb
    Free Member

top shop do some.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

my sister’s product line is very small at the mo (just female gloves for this summer season) but for autumn winter she is increasing the range to include tops and jackets.
    Ana Nichoola

She started off getting jackets made for commuting as she couldn’t find any clothing that she liked the look of but was also fit for purpose.[img]http://www2.clikpic.com/annag/images/web_glproduct.JPG[/img]

I hope this isn’t considered spam, I’m well proud of her, she’s done it all by herself!

jackoinmoss
    Free Member
    DezB
    Free Member

Do you ever see a thread entitled, “What clothes to get on a train?”. Of course not, it’s just another mode of transport.

Weather, exertion, sweat, danger… last time I caught a train these weren’t a factor.

DezB
    Free Member

Knitted mitts… with a pink BOW! Awesome 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Until recently I did a 15 mile round trip commute. I used to wear cycling gers, but I got browned off getting changed all the time, so I switched to flat pedals and rode in whatever I happend to be wearing + helmet and gloves.

300 mile tour in the West Country last year, the only cycle specific clothes I too were cycling shorts which I wore under normal shorts and t-shirt, shoes were either trainers or sandals. (Sandals are the BEST when its peeing it down with rain!)

No need to dress up at all 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Weather, exertion, sweat, danger…

Weather – Wear a coat. Have mudguards
    Exertion – It’s a short, urban ride. Do you sweat that much? If so, slow down a little
    Sweat – See above
    Danger – Pah. Not really. There’s only danger if you don’t ride correctly, IMO. Far better to spend time on learning how to ride better in town than spend money on some needless “lifestyle” purchase.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

than spend money on some needless “lifestyle” purchase

I forgot that you are a bare-minimum kind if guy who spurns all comforts and luxuries CFH 😀

16stonepig
    Free Member

I understand why the OP is asking though. No, there isn’t always the need to get all teched up for every ride, but I would also like to find some clothing that breathes ok, is sturdy enough, deals with a bit of grime ok but still looks respectable enough when you turn up where you’re going.

EDIT: However, those gloves are well fetch. Do they come in a men’s large?

thebunk

The sooner more urban/commuter cyclists look more like human beings and less like Altura-clad stormtroopers (With the inherent RLJ/Twuntlike riding characteristics) the better.

+1 for normal clothes (with the added benefit that it increases your FCN 😛 ). Though if anyone has any recommendations for hard wearing jeans, that would be appreciated. My bike eats Levis.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Leggyblonde, life’s too short to drink bad wine! 😉

leggyblonde
    Free Member

In that respect, you are preaching to the converted good sir!

disco_stu
    Free Member

have a look at Swrve, some of their stuff might fit the bill

DezB
    Free Member

It’s a short, urban ride – Ok, we’re talking about different things, cos mine isn’t. I’d die if a wore a coat!

miketually
    Free Member

Ok, we’re talking about different things, cos mine isn’t. I’d die if a wore a coat!

Ah, so you’re making recomendations not based on the question? In that case, Batman outfit.

DezB
    Free Member

Can’t it be Spiderman? I don’t get on with capes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TurnerGuy
    Free Member
    leggyblonde
    Free Member

that is better than my spiderman cycling outfit!

crap for commuting though…

miketually
    Free Member

To clarify, I do wear a bike-specific waterproof jacket and I have a pair of waterproof trousers in my bag for when it really tips down (which I only end up wearing 5 or 6 times a year).

scruff
    Free Member

My work trousers arse falls off really quick if I commute in them.

DezB
    Free Member

that is better than my spiderman cycling outfit!

Is that pic a crash happening?

leggyblonde
    Free Member

no, just showing off as I was doing rubbish in the race.

molgrips
    Free Member

Then no need for specific clothing, IMO

Did I give the impression that this was about need? 🙂 The question was not ‘does she NEED it?’

You should come to Germany if you think the Brits have a problem with this!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Stylish cycle/commuting clothing’ is closed to new replies.