Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • STWer in chip shop race row shocker
  • neilthewheel

I was just waiting for my order in the chippie when a van-driver came in. He was talking to the owner, saying he’d been on a run down to Bradford. Cue the inevitable racist tirade. It was when he said, “I wanted to run them all over” that I lost my rag. I’m afraid I told him to shut up and called him a racist a-hole and I don’t know what else because I’m afraid I lost my cool a bit. The owner only stopped me when my language got fruity – not in front of the ladies, if you please.
    I feel like I should go back in and apologise tomorrow. Must learn to keep my mouth shut. All that happens is that I spoil my own evening.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Good for you. Enjoy your chips.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

NO YOU HAVE TO CALL THEM OUT WHEREVER AND WHENEVER

ourmaninthenorth

Good man.

And, yes, go and apologise for your language tomorrow.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I agree with this. If they think they can say it freely without being called out they’ll keep on doing it.

somafunk

I wouldn’t worry about it, over the past few days (with regard to the attacks in france) i have called my boss an ignorant **** racist braindead daily mail reading knuckle dragging retard (apology for the retard comment), in my local Key corner shop they were discussing what should be done with the muslims in this country, apparently they should be all be rounded up and deported so when i eventually got to the counter and pulled them up for this i was told “if you don’t like it then ****-off somewhere else”, this was a mistake on their part as i had 4 bottles of cobra and a bottle of prosecco in my basket which i tipped upside down on the floor.

Needless to say life in my small rural galloway town (pop 3000) may get interesting over the next few days as i have previous for speaking my mind in public.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Are you a lefty fist shaker?

ads678

If it’s ok for them to be racist in front of the ladies, it’s ok to swear. I know which id rather my kids hear, and it’s not blatant racism!! 😈

hilldodger
    Free Member

It makes more of an impression if you can express your view without using foul & abusive language, or indulging in acts of petulant rage.
    Otherwise you’re just another shouty nutter – but if it makes you feel good……….

neilthewheel

If it’s ok for them to be racist in front of the ladies, it’s ok to swear.

My wife pointed out the irony!
    And no, I am not a lefty fist shaker, more a lefty wrist flapper.

somafunk

hilldodger : In an ideal world where we are all within a few % points of similar intelligence i would always agree with you, however when you are faced with a yokel with a slack hanging lower jaw I’m afraid you are mistaken, trying to converse or merely using words of more than three syllables will lead to a fright/fight response so it’s best to make your point and leave.

large418
    Free Member

They are as entitled to their views as much as you are, and just because you don’t like their views doesn’t make it ok to be aggressive towards them. After all, free speech is something we all value, isn’t it?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Well done sir, won’t make a blind bit of difference to the idiot, maybe just make him think before he opens his arse in public again. I do wonder how many of these types actually believe in what they spout, or do they actually think that’s what other people believe, and try to fit in.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

They are as entitled to their views as much as you are, and just because you don’t like their views doesn’t make it ok to be aggressive towards them. After all, free speech is something we all value, isn’t it?

Tell me you’re on the wind up?.

hilldodger
    Free Member

…however when you are faced with a yokel with a slack hanging lower jaw I’m afraid you are mistaken….

Not a position I’m familiar with, my local racists are of the “city gent” variety, better educated but no less ignorant!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have bothered, He’ll either get shot or get his head chopped off, that’ll teach him!

neilthewheel

They are as entitled to their views as much as you are,

He was saying, “I’m entitled to my opinions” but I pointed out they weren’t opinions, they were racist effing prejudices.
    hilldodger was right, though. I’ll have some wity put-down lined up next time, that I can deliver with my eyes half-hooded by my lids. I was just caught on the hop – I was buying fish and chips!

gobuchul
    Free Member

There are some very angry keyboard warriors on here.

A lot of BS being spouted as well.

Junkyard
    Free Member

^ satire? or an ignorant example of that which you are objecting to?

I value the free speech to troll and talk shite but dont exercise it liek you do or the racists do.
    Never ever let it slide always challenge it

For the triumph of evil all that is necessary is good people do nothing

large418
    Free Member

No, not on the wind up. And I don’t like racist behaviour. But I do understand that some people have different points of view and however much I might not like their views, they are entitled. Freedom of speech is about being able to say things that others might not like.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Like **** of you racist **** ?

neilthewheel

Freedom of speech is about being able to say things that others might not like.

Including saying how he’d like to kill people because they are ****?

gobuchul
    Free Member

^ satire? or an ignorant example of that which you are objecting to?

I never know what you are on about. I am not objecting to anything.

I will make myself clearer.

There are a lot of Walter Mitty types on here and some of the things they are saying they have done I do not believe they did.

They may of wanted to but I bet 99% didn’t.

large418
    Free Member

Like **** of you racist **** ?

Is that aimed at me? Not very true if it is.

Including saying how he’d like to kill people because they are ****?

No, that’s making threats to kill. There’s a law against that.

And challenging peoples views is great, going off on one isn’t.

kimbers

Good on ya Neil the wheel, wish I had the balls to stand up like that !

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Did you have scraps with your fish and chips ?

allthepies
    Free Member

neilthewheel

Did you have scraps with your fish and chips ?

No, but the lady serving asked me if I wanted vinegar! I said I’d had enough of that for one day.

chip
    Free Member

The threatening to run them all over aside.
    He shared his opinion which he is entitled to.
    As he shared his opinion in public the op was entitled to challenge his opinion in public debate.
    Freedom of speech.

firestarter
    Free Member

A proper racist would have got his chips and put you on your arse he was obviously only playing at it 😉

Ambrose

Possibly from Voltaire- ‘I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it,’

Everyone is entitled to their views. Poor education, coupled with difficult circumstances during upbringing may lead to bigoted viewpoints that you or I consider unacceptable. However these views are an entitlement even if you, me, we consider them wrong. Well done for trying to re-educate the bloke, I doubt I would have had the courage to do so.

ourmaninthenorth

[quotePossibly from Voltaire[/quote]

Evelyn Beatrice Hall.

Everyone is entitled to their views.

Cuts both ways: everyone’s entitled to challenge them. Losing your cool when you do that is a side issue (but good manners dictates the OP should apologise too the chip shop staff for that.)

onlysteel
    Free Member

Happens to me regularly at work. I’ve previously made my views on racist language, ‘jokes’ etc. known, without being confrontational about it. Hasn’t stopped it, but at least the people apologise before proceeding! Thing is, the fellas are otherwise just regular guys, and I’m seen as a bit of a Grauniad reading odd-ball.
    Can’t help but think that when the surface is scratched there is a lot more suppressed bigotry about than one might want to believe.

easygirl

I often challenge people for making racist remarks, must say that muslims killing innocent people on streets all over the world in the name of religion is beginning to wear a bit thin!
    What do we do, just keep saying “it’s not all muslims, only a few radicals” , then wait for the next massacre to happen.

firestarter
    Free Member

Cuts both ways: everyone’s entitled to challenge them. Losing your cool when you do that is a side issue (but good manners dictates the OP should apologise too the chip shop staff for that.)

Unless it appears said person happens to be Muslim then they seem to have free reign to say as they please with no fear of a challenge as to challenge would be racist

chakaping
    Free Member

You should have battered the tosser OP.

What do we do, just keep saying “it’s not all muslims, only a few radicals” , then wait for the next massacre to happen.

You’re right, we better deport all the Muslims back to Muslamia instead.

Or at least get the security services to start monitoring some of these nutters rather than dicking about in sports cars and speedboats all the time.

singletrackmind

Many years ago I used to work in Woking.
    Woking ( Surrey ) has a large mosque , and with that a large Muslim community , has had for years, and has its own little underlying areas of racial tension. Although as its british born muslim majority now i don’t think its as bad as it was.

Minutes after the 7/7 bombings in London a group of men in traditional muslim garb marched down middle of the road in front of my work cheering and shouting ‘ Allah Ahkbar’ and punching the air. Maybe 10 or 12 of them using their right to free speach and to demonstrate peacefully their veiws.

Nearly lost it , had to physically restrained by my colleague. Made me feel sick to the stomach . If i had been driving a van, on my own I might have made my own demonstration of my veiws on the subject.

Celebrating the killing and maiming of innocent people on their way to work , only a few miles away ,in a country that welcomes immigration and defends the rights of its people to enjoy free health care , free speach, free legal aid, benefit system etc. Im sorry if that made me loose my temper and really very very angry but that is simply beyond wrong.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Don’t know what the offending guy said but might also be worth pointing out the obvious here..religion isn’t race

neilthewheel

Don’t know what the offending guy said but might also be worth pointing out the obvious here..religion isn’t race

He said the place was “full of **** and muslims. I felt like running em all over.”

Junkyard
    Free Member

religion isn’t race

Groups like the EDL who are clearly racist but hide behind the facade of attacking the religion rather than the ethnicity when , all but their supporters, would accept that they are a racist organisation made up and funded by racists.

Some religions can be both a religion and a race FWIW

In the United Kingdom the landmark legal case Mandla v Dowell-Lee placed a legal definition on ethnic groups with religious ties, which in turn has paved the way for definition of ethnoreligious[8] group. Both Jews[9][10][11] and Sikhs[12][13][14] were determined to be ethnoreligious groups under the Anti-Discrimination (Amendment) Act 1994 (see above).
    The Anti-Discrimination (Amendment) Act 1994 made reference to Mandla v Dowell-Lee which defined ethnic groups as:
    a long shared history, of which the group is conscious as distinguishing it from other groups, and the memory of which it keeps alive;
    a cultural tradition of its own, including family and social customs and manners, often but not necessarily associated with religious observance. In addition to those two essential characteristics the following characteristics are, in my opinion, relevant:
    either a common geographical origin, or descent from a small number of common ancestors;
    a common language, not necessarily peculiar to the group;
    a common literature peculiar to the group;
    a common religion different from that of neighbouring groups or from the general community surrounding it;
    being a minority or being an oppressed or dominant group within a larger community. For example, a conquered people (say, the inhabitants of England shortly after the Norman conquest) and their conquerors might both be ethnic groups
    The significance of this case was that groups like Sikhs and Jews could be protected under the Race Relations Act 1976.[13]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘STWer in chip shop race row shocker’ is closed to new replies.