Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • STW wood stove users – question?
  • ski
    Free Member

I have fitted a metal deflector plate 15mm below a Green oak beam that I have above my stove.

Where it meets the flue registerplate I have been trying to seal the conection to stop hot air passing underneath the deflector plate, tried a number of different types of fire clay, but it is not doing the job and flaking and falling off.

Is there such a thing as a fire retardant tape that might seal the overlap in place?

Its going to be about six inches from the flu so the plates gets quite warm.

highclimber
    Free Member

can you not use some fire/heat resistant caulking?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I used a red heat resistant silicone sealant. Its much more elastic and stickier than fire clay.

EDIT something like this, but I think the stuff my local ironmonger had was a bit cheaper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VITCAS-Heat-Resistant-Sealant-1250/dp/B0046450C4/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_0/276-3338986-4902233

ski
    Free Member

MC, does that sealant set rock hard or does it still flex after it sets?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

MC, does that sealant set rock hard or does it still flex after it sets?

It stays fairly flexible. Certainly it copes with the expansion and contraction without compromising the seal the way fire clay would.

I’ve heard of people using something similar in an emergency to replace exhaust manifold gaskets on a car engine.

ski
    Free Member

Think the problem I am having sealing the connection is that the two plate expand/contract at different rates causing anything that sets hard, to flake and crack.

Will check the link out, thanks MC and everyone else who posted a reply.

footflaps

What you really want is some asbestos cloth…..

bedmaker

Heatmate
    or Silirub
    are what you want.

teasel
    Free Member

The stuff Bedmaker links to stays flexible but the stuff Mcmoonter links to goes-off rock-solid. The former is okay as long as it doesn’t come into contact with the stove itself, upon which it too goes rock hard and crumbles.

What about some fire rope…? I have some flat stuff about 15mm wide.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘STW wood stove users – question?’ is closed to new replies.