Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • STW TV Returns Hive Mind
  • psychobiker
    Free Member

We purchased a TV from a well known electrical store in March this year for our bedroom. All seemed ok, then it started randomly turning itself on a 2 – 3 o clock in the morning. A call was put into Toshiba who talked me through some settings and all seemed ok for a few months. Then it started again, only this time the power light would flash red and green and would not always poweer up. A further call was made and the TV was sent back for repairs, I had to have the TV collected and returned to my place of work, which earned me a bollocking as we are not allowed to use the stores for ourselves.
    It was returned back to us and worked for a couple of weeks, before the problem started again. We have tried it in every TV output in our house and it is the same in all of them. The well known electrical retailer will not refund our money unless it has been returned to the manufacturer a further 2 times. I cannot arrange collection or delivery because of work. What are my rights for demanding a refund have one of the electrical reatilers managers due to call me back later, offf out for lunch.

Any help appreciated.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Poltergeist HTH

Edit: Don’t walk towards the light

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Take it to the shop, have it delivered back to them and you collect

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

My understanding is that you deal with the shop that you bought the item from and they deal with the manufacturer, you should not have to be talking with the manufacturer at all, let alone arranging for items to be transported back and forth up to 3 times. That’s all for the retailer to do.

The store appear to be using your willingness to get things sorted as a copout for them doing what they are supposed to do. I think you need to be quite firm with them and remind them of their responsibilities as the retailer.

psychobiker
    Free Member

If you ring the well known retailer to report a fault they divert you to the manufacturer and take no further responsibility.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

If you ring the well known retailer to report a fault they divert you to the manufacturer and take no further responsibility.

Let me know who this well-known retailer is so I know to avoid them for any future purchases.

Seriously, this sounds like you’re being taken for a ride. The TV should be well within warranty and as said above the contract is between you and the retailer, not the manufacturer. Demand a refund

aracer
    Free Member

This well known retailer wouldn’t be an anagram of cryrus or pwrocld by any chance?

Cougar

They’re breaking the law then, and you’d do well to remind them of this.

Under the Sale of Goods act, your contract is with the retailer, not the manufacturer. It may be in your best interests to deal directly with the manufacturer but you’re under no obligation to do so (and they’re under no obligation to help you). The retailer is legally obliged to resolve faults “within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience.”

They don’t have to refund you unless they’ve failed to do the above, and if they do refund then it can be a partial refund based on the time you’ve had the TV working for. Your inability to arrange a courier isn’t their problem, but that said I’m failing to see why you can’t deposit it in the shop you bought it from and make it their problem.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Which says

If something is not of satisfactory quality, you have a statutory right under the Sale of Goods Act, to a refund, have it replaced or repaired for free.

You can ask the retailer to do either, but it can normally choose to do whichever would be cheapest.

If the retailer refuses to repair the faulty goods, you may have the right to arrange for someone else to repair them and claim compensation from the retailer for the cost of doing this.

If the retailer refuses to provide any remedy, such as replacing the item, you can either have your money back minus an amount for the use you’ve had of it, or keep the item and get a reduction on the price you paid.

If you’re having problems and the shop won’t repair or replace or replace your goods then it should be reported to your local Trading Standards department as they are breaching your statutory rights.

It’s worth telling the shop that you’re going to do this as this could mean your complaint is then dealt with.

psychobiker
    Free Member

Will see what happens when c____s rings back but will push for return to store, I even asked on the phone for vouchersvas we still want a TV for the bedroom.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Why don’t you turn it off at the mains ?

Currys will try and do all they can to avoid getting involved, its not in their business plan to have to deal with troublesome customers returning faulty goods.

psychobiker
    Free Member

We do turn it off at the mains, however it is a 50/50 chance it doesnt turn back on, and can take days forvus to be able to turn it back on, as the power button merely flashes red / green.

psychobiker
    Free Member

We do turn it off at the mains, however it is a 50/50 chance it doesnt turn back on, and can take days forvus to be able to turn it back on, as the power button merely flashes red / green.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

When you speak to them, make it clear you believe they are breaking the law and ask for the person’s name, their position, their managers name, etc.

I find this tend to focus their minds a bit.

Also try going a bit derailed at them on twitter!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

will push for return to store

Don’t push for anything, take it to the store and demand that it’s fixed or replaced as per your statutory rights. Otherwise take it up with trading standards.

psychobiker
    Free Member

Have just popped in to the local Currys where we brought the TV and they have said they will take it in to arrange repairs.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘STW TV Returns Hive Mind’ is closed to new replies.