Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • STW subniche, who else has a vintage tractor then?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Over on my Fire up the Fergie thread it seems there are a few other STWers with old school tractors.

The rustier the better I say.

johndoh
    Free Member

Nope. My father in law has a flat packed Russian thing though – came in a box and he built it like big Mecano.

Unfortunately my garden would barely fit a toy tractor in it,

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

An ex work colleague’s brother had a Porsche. It was gleaming though. Only taken out for shows. My cousins who farmed in Offaly in Ireland had an old Fordson that came out for the Birr vintage festival every year. Gorgeous it was.

Sorry, that’s a bit tenuous but best I can do.

grum
    Free Member

Ooh I think I can score some niche points here. Will have to get some pics.

ton

couple of riding pals own grey fergies. obsessed is the word.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My grandfather was a farmer*. He had a David Brown. He also had some of his other products, but was mainly a Jaguar man. 😉

Well, he did have a farm or two. 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Massey is classy but Zetor is better. 🙂

tomhoward

Wasn’t a david brown 5 was it, cfh?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tom, he had a 2-4 and a Mark III. Then an obsession with Es for some years. Sold them all before my time. 🙁

sharkbait
    Free Member

I had a David Brown 850 for a year or two (it was in the field when I bought the house. It was seized but I got it going after a couple of months.
    There should be a video here somewhere if its first start in 15 years. Will try and find it.
    Moved on to 4wd Case 4230 now. It too much for what I need but it was in two pieces in a scrap yard and needed a living home!

user-removed
    Free Member

I’ll be amazed if anyone can beat my dad 🙁

He has two grey Fergies and spends his life buying bits of rusty metal to decorate them. Recently, he managed to get hold of a top-loader (as seen above ^^^), a harrow (apparently this is VERY different to his two ploughs) and a vicious looking scissor hedge-trimmer thing.

He showed me how to mount the shovel thing – it’s a knack. Well it must be as I can’t pick the thing up and he’s 74 and did it effortlessly.

lyrikal
    Free Member

I suppose confession is good for the soul, don’t have photos and they are mostly under big heavy tarpaulins at the minute but here is the list.

A fordson Dexta
    Allis Chalmers type B
    Allis Chalmers type WC styled
    Usual grey ferguson
    International Farmall cub

Most of these were my grandads and he handed his niche down to me

wwaswas

I’ll see your Fergie and raise you a Fire Engine;

(my Dads)

manitou
    Free Member

Oh.. i thought this thread was about people like me who own a 26 er

Pigface
    Free Member

In Skagen last year we came across a Grey Fergie meet 😆 what a mix Danes, Norgies, 7 tractors and a awful lot of beer.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Wwaswas – been there done that. Dennis with petrol Rolls Royce engine. Did around 6mpg.

kilo

wwaswas & mcmoonter don’t take this the wrong way but, I can see why you would need a tractor and I have mentioned it to the mrs that we might in the future need one, but how do you end up with a fire engine?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Kilo, ours was pure Jack and the Beanstalk tale. My dad swapped a clapped out Series III 109 Station Wagon for it. It wasn’t the trade in we were expecting. We went to one vintage rally in it then it was sold.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Got a Ford 4000 which is a classic and a 7610 which is just a workhorse, but at 30 years old could be considered a classic!

andytherocketeer

Don’t own one, but technically my first ever company car was a Massey Ferguson. One (I think?) was an MF 135, the other was a predecessor (MF 100 maybe?).

Always used to joke about the older one (ie the first one I drove) having sports (bucket) seats, cruise control (had hand throttle), cabriolet (well had no roof), …

The newer one had a fork lift auxiliary on the back. Had lot of fun with that and pallets of Bramleys and Howgates on the back.

I used to have an AEC Matador Medium Artillery Tractor. Does that count.

robido

got 2 internationals a 1969 434 and a 1960 b275.the 275 is for sale totaly rebuilt and looks great

MrSmith
    Free Member

When I was in my youth a good friend of my dads had a fair few show tractors some of which my father and I helped restore and paint,,then spent a couple of summers taking them round the showgrounds which was a laugh.
    From memory:

Lanz Bulldog (petrol start, not the earlier steering wheel/hot bulb start)
    Oliver 80
    Marshall series III
    Marshall series I (maybe a II?)
    International farmers boy
    Fordson major Perkins conversion
    Allis-chalmers

neilc1881
    Free Member

2 x International B275s here, and a Massey 3065 which will count before too long!

CountZero

Don’t own one myself, but I saw one that needs some TLC:

A bit of a fixer-upper?

piemonster

Somewhere, in deepest darkest Fenland I have one of these magnificent wee beasties

piemonster

lyrikal – Member

Allis Chalmers type B

Envy

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Piemonster, that has to be the cutest tractor ever.

Great contributions so far, keep ’em coming.

Markie
    Free Member

There’s a couple of old Fergies on the farm, also a sweet traxcavator (skid turns are always fun!) but I’ve got the softest spot for a pile of old metal that is (was?) actually a set of tracks for a transantarctic expedition’s 28! The extra wheels are kicking around somewhere too.

Woody
    Free Member

My neighbour has 2 in his garden (does that count) but I’ve no idea what they are as they’ve been covered all winter.

As far as ‘cute’ goes, Ive never had the need/want for a tractor but saw one yesterday in a garden centre and for some unknown reason turned to the GF and said “I really want that”. It was like a dinky toy – will try and get pic tomorrow.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I love old tractors me! Great thread this is. I live in North Yorkshire & go to a few country/agri shows in summer (?) I’d love to have the money, time & space to do an old one up. CountZero, that one needs you to sort it.
    Drove (steered) my first tractor when I was about 4, in the Lakes. Helped out on a farm when I was 14 & drove a Dexta, Fergie, Fordson Major & a Nuffield. (& had a go on a Claas Matador CH.)

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘STW subniche, who else has a vintage tractor then?’ is closed to new replies.