Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • STW. Stovists – What glue for asbestos rope?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

The asbestos rope that forms the seal around the door of my stove has pooped out, is there a special heat proof glue that I need to stick it back in place?

boblo
    Free Member

Dunno but I use high temp silicone.

itstig

I have a tin of “Fortafix ropefix a high temperature rope fixative” suitable for oven and stove doors and temps of 800 c, cant’t really recommend it though as i havn’t used it! our rope is still doing well. Hope this helps.

teasel
    Free Member

I have a bottle right here. Doesn’t list ingredients, though.

The glue has separated – an oily liquid above with a more soild substance settled at the bottom.

I can’t see why that hi-temp silicone you linked to some months back wouldn’t do the job as well as anything else TBH – good up to 1500c wasn’t it.

brickwizard
    Free Member

I bought some last week from local hardware store. £4.99 for small bottle with brush on the cap.
    Re stuck my door rope no problems

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I got lucky, my brother has some in his box of stuff that came with his stove, glued, stove now lit with fingers crossed.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I just push mine in the slot, fits nice and snug, then the box just gets hotter and hotter, which keeps the wife happy.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘STW. Stovists – What glue for asbestos rope?’ is closed to new replies.