Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • STW Southern Brighton-London-Brighton 'Gravel type ride' Thingy update 2nd Aug
  • DrP

Original thread here

So I’ve sent an email out to those who originally showed interest, which IIRC includes:
    DrP (he’s lush)
    Bikebouy
    Corroded
    Flybywire
    Nedrapier
    Toby MC
    Dez B
    Soma Rich

I know a few were just up for coming for a bit/leg of the journey, which is cool 🙂

I was hoping those who haven’t replied, or those who may NOW be interested, chirp up here!!

Just to recap:
    about 135 miles
    Brighton-London via the L2B road route
    Traverse Clapham to Roehampton
    London-Brighton via the L2B off-road route!

And that weekend it’s pride, so we can pretend that everyone has flocked to Brighton to cheer us on our return….kind of…

DrP

soma_rich
    Free Member

I’ve decided i’m not fit enough to keep up with you guys and my gearing at 36×11 would not be fast enough to keep up, so i’m out. Have fun guys 🙁

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m still in, so slam a big tick in the box f’me, ta 8)

DrP

Rich… Grab the train to London and ride the of road bit with us!

DrP

njee20
    Free Member

36×11 not enough? That’ll be more than enough for all but the hardest road rides!

DrP

Just noted I put the wrong date…should say Saturday 2nd…meeting at the foot of brighton pier at 0730!

DrP

tobymc

Still in. Bought train tickets and everything!

dknwhy

I originally didn’t put my name down as i’ll be on holiday when it happens but would love to get involved if it’s repeated or something similar arranged. Enjoy the ride!

DrP

Grand for those in, and will surely repeat for those who can’t make it this time!

DrP

TimP
    Free Member

I am in the “strong possibility” camp of at least heading to London…

Not sure I could do 135miles with DrP though

DrP

Tim…pedal along to the pier for half seven, and see how you feel once we hit the big smoke!

DrP

birdage

Have fun you lot and please arrange another for when I’m not at a wedding I thought I’d got out of!

DezB
    Free Member

Grand for those in, and will surely repeat for those who can’t make it this time!

Glad to hear this! Sorry, the pulled muscle last week means I just haven’t had enough riding time to consider doing this. Really keen to join you on the next one and rip yer legs off! (joke)
    Have a good one fellas.

TimP
    Free Member

All the sympathy you got didnt help then Dez?

DezB
    Free Member

It was so encouraging, I’m not sure why it didn’t help.. 😆

m1kea
    Free Member

Wouldn’t be up for the whole route (race the next day) but could pootle down to the start and do a reasonable chunk of the road leg if that’s allowed?

Questions

Would turning up on my best plastic road bling and mamil attire be allowed?
    If not, I can keep the mamil gear and dig the winter bike out. It has guards and is made of Ti so is almost in keeping with the original equipment.

DrP

^^
    Of course this is ‘allowed’!!
    I’m no fashionista, and strongly adhere to the ‘ride wot ya brung’ ethos..

We’ll of course be completing the route within the day, so there’ll be a ‘minimum reasonable speed’ so as to actually get round the route..but we’re not looking for Mike Hall type ground coverage!

DrP

m1kea
    Free Member

Cool

When you get a mo ping me an email with final dets.

DrP

It shall be done..

DrP

cinnamon_girl

I reckon Dr P has started secret training for the next Highland Trail 500. 😀

DrP

🙂 Not yet looked at that one!

I’m still trying to figure out how I could fit in the “Wessex Way over 2 days”…. That’s my big objective on my cycling calendar…!

DrP

cinnamon_girl

🙂 Sorry! Wessex Way in 2 days? Blimey, that sounds tough. 😯

TimP
    Free Member

Sadly the P’s have had to rearrange a trip to the theatre for my elder daughter. The original Scooby Doo show on Friday was cancelled so they have moved us to Sat lunchtime.
    I would have got away with it if it hadn’t been for those pesky kids….

singletrackmind

maybe , same as mike A , plastic road bike 1 way ticket for me if the planets align and I can organise it.
    Thinking of an alpine SDWIAD in the next couple of weeks so a few miles would be good

tobymc

Ok its time…..

What tyres?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Griffo’s 😀

tobymc

You could, yes… And buy another set in London!
    Im leaning toward conti speedy things (file tread jobbies) you’ll be thrilled to hear.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Pit Crew?? 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’m tempted – but need to drive in – and i know you can’t park in brighton…

any thoughts.

DrP

Park at mine.. Get the train in?

DrP

bikebouy
    Free Member

Anyone taking lights??

TimP
    Free Member

Park at mine, about 15mins cycle to the pier?

corroded
    Free Member

Still keen here but need to work out some complicated logistics – bike in Hampshire, me in London, start in Brighton. Easiest scenario is to collect bike in advance and join the return off-road trip from London then take a train to Chi and ride back north. Having done the SDW last weekend (and been pretty cooked!) I’ll at least have the kit ready!

DrP

A few options I suppose…
    Where in hants is the bike?

You could, sometime this week, drop the bike at mine (a few train stops from brighton) or at Tim Ps, then simply come down from london and pick the bike up on sat?

I’m not sure what the talk of Chichester is all about?

DrP

DrP

Oh I get it!

You’ll just do a part of the return leg from somewhere in Hampshire, and chi is nearest the bikes location, so ride back for there!

Email me if you want to discuss logistics as if it’s not too far,I could pick up the bike before hand..maybe..

Email me..

DrP

thomthumb
    Free Member

i won’t be there – friday night bravado had me posting; come sunday morning and the legs are still rubbish. 🙁

Have a good ride

DrP

Less than 24hrs to go….
    Got some committed replies, and some who can no longer make it…

Post here if interested/coming!

DrP

nedrapier

Coming! Replied to your email just now.

TimP
    Free Member

Will try and get along for a couple of hours at the start, but Scooby waits for no man

DrP

Tim, be good to see you!

I’ve baked cookies for us to much on (they’re from teh ‘feed zone portables’ book, so probably too healthy and I’ll pick up some Oreos at the first sign of a shop…)

DrP

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘STW Southern Brighton-London-Brighton 'Gravel type ride' Thingy update 2nd Aug’ is closed to new replies.