Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • STW Scotland – Ullapool to Bonar Bridge C2C2C
  • druidh
    Free Member

DeVs – Member
    Still don't know if I'm available for this. Hopefully I am. Will confirm next week.

I can't make it for this planned weekend but fancy it another time.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Saturday evening bump to mop up any late interest.

I'll do a roll-call early next week.

SC

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Stuartie, there's another Fifer keen to come along, he fancies doing it as training for the WHW.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Is he a pal of Gary's? Something like Mark B's neice's husband…

Gary contacted me looking to sort out a lift for him but I'll be up north on Thursday evening and will stay for the following week – can you and Italspark sort him out for a lift?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Aye, I was planning to car share up with him. I think Italspark and family are taking the campervan up for the weekend.

Any suggestion that all Fifers are related is purely coincidental.

moremudplease
    Free Member

thanks for helping young mark out,he is ma neices husband and I would appreciate if you could treat him accordingly, by taking the crap oot of him at every oppertunity,making the ride as tough as possible and by keeping him in his place,his nickname on our forum is back of the pack,and you can tell him at the end of the hurl or when he spits the dummy that he has been set up by"quite uncle mark" know that I can rely on you guys to help in this matter.
    cheers
    mark b

italspark
    Free Member

nae problem, he will gettin it tight

phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

I quite fancy that. Anyone want to lift share from the borders or edinburghish area?

devs
    Free Member

Mrs D working Sat so I'm out. Looks like skiing woth boys on sat and Laggan on Sun so it's not all bad. Druidh I'm up for it sometime too. If you want some company when you do it gimme a shout.

italspark
    Free Member

dont want to get your hopes up too high, but this looks promising,
    all we need know is the swedish babes, c,mon stuartie whats the plan http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/3023?&search=ullapool&itemsPerPage=10&region=uk

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Yup – forecast is looking ok at this point. My main concern is that there is a lot of water in the rivers from the rain and snow-melt which will make crossings hazardous. Hopefully they'll subside a bit before Saturday. I'm staying with friends near Alness on Friday and at the Ceilidh Place on Saturday.

Plan is as follows:

[*]Meet at 8AM in the big car park beside the Tesco (not the Tesco car park itself). I'm reckoning on the ride taking 8-10 hours.

Head count (shouldn't take long) and route briefing

Ride to Bonar Bridge, dip toe in Dornoch Firth, re-supply.

Ride back West.[/*]

There will be two groups. TJ is talking about a mellow-paced alternative which stops at the tidal limit of the Kyle of Sutherland before heading back. My own objective is Bonar Bridge itself. There are some options for the return leg which I'll point out on maps. I expect everyone to take responsibility for their own well-being as well as looking out for others – I'm not a qualified guide! I'll carry map and compass but I'd expect other to do as well. This obviously goes for food, clothing and safety equipment too.

The contingency plan, if the weather goes tits-up or we can't safely cross a river is to simply turn back and try again another day.

I'll add other info. as it comes to mind.

Last thing is a roll-call of the definite attendees…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

8 am! F

You got a grid reference for that meet point?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I'll be there with Mark, another Fifer

stuartie_c
    Free Member

TJ – approx 125943

Multimap link: http://www.multimap.com/s/bCT9MgfU

Easiest approach is to drive along the front (Shore St.), turn R at the end up onto Quay St. and Tesco is off this about 400m on the L. After the L turn off Quay St., don't turn L again immediately as this is the Tesco CP, but go on a bit further and it opens into the bigger CP.

I'm suggesting 8am to give plenty of time. Aim for an 8:30 start. We can go later if everyone objects to 8, but I'd rather not be racing to beat nightfall.

(Oh, if anyone wants a mobile contact number, email me (in profile) and I'll send it on to you).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cheers
    Weather looks promising.

italspark
    Free Member

8 a.m. on the dot captain , surely one has to dip ones tongue in the water ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

We are definitely on then. 8.30 ready to go?

Softies option if needed – we shall see how it goes on the day.

I hope the schedule allows for proper mealtimes

1st breakfast
    2nd breakfast
    Elevenses
    First Lunch
    Second lunch
    A wee mid afternoon snackerel
    Afternoon Tea
    Dinner
    Supper
    Bedtime snack

italspark
    Free Member

oh shit ! i was expecting to be back for lunch

stuartie_c
    Free Member

So, roll call so far:

SC
    McMoonter + 1
    Italspark
    Mr + Mrs TJ

Any more?

I'm off up north tomorrow so will have limited internet access after tonight.

Faffers will need to be ready to roll at 8:30am when TJ makes an appearance. Any ditherers will get their arses kicked, and not by me as I'm likely to number among them.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

LOL @ stuartie.

Looks like I'm giving Smee a lift up. I have told him the trolling zoo fighter is not invited.

Anyone going to be in the pub Friday night? Not sure if we will arrive in time for a pint or not. If so which pub?
    Anyone else camping?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I'm heading over early on Sat morning from Alness but staying at the Ceilidh Place on Saturday night. A pint or two may be had then to celebrate our glorious success. Ceilidh Place is a stone's throw from the campsite. There's also the FBI on the seafront which was my local when I spent a winter in Ullapool.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

TJ I'm camping too and Italspark will be in a Blue T5 campervan. I've got a red Citroen with a BS numberplate. Got it from Barbara Striesand, no BS

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

We will be in a enterprise rent a van. Green dome tent. ETA around 9-9.30 pm

druidh
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    We will be in a enterprise rent a van. Green dome tent. ETA around 9-9.30 pm

Not setting off until 7pm TJ?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

McM, you got it from Britney Spears, didn't you?

Swayndo
    Free Member

Stuartie … me and the boys do a C2C from my house (in Evanton) to Ullapool with your route (or 1/2) as the second half of the route. It's a bit early for us tho … you will get your feet wet on the river crossing, but most of the height on my route is before Croick, so you should be safely under the snow level.

The FBI is our traditional finish point (pint). We usually sit on the wall for a good few then get sorted. Last year we camped and it was good, but previously we staying in the CP bunkhouse which is fine. Best food we've had was in the Frigate (I think). The CP is good too, but is a bit overpriced. Fish and chips form the chippie at the Seaforth.

Latest opening pub was the Arch, which is on the corner near the campsite at the bottom of the road at the side of the CP bunkhouse. Bit of a doo going on when we were there and they had Leffe!

Sunday is looking glorious and a few of us doing the Tollie Path with lunch at the Mountain Cafe in Gairloch. Slattadale at 11ish if ye fancy it 🙂

All the best for your trip.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Transit van Druidh so 50mph on A roads – and I will have smee as a passenger to critique me.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Cheers Swayndo,

I'm liking the sound of your Evanton-Ullapool route – you got a map/gpx? There's a slim possibility that I'll make your sunday ride, though it's a bit of a hoor of a drive from Ullapool with a (likely) hangover…

Red Seat Leon, 04 plate, just in case I do make it!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I do fancy a spin on the sunday on our way back south

Swayndo
    Free Member

I have one somewhere. Easy enough to explain meantime. Start at the old riuned kirk on the shore at Kitearn (down from Evanton) – dip the toe. Up through Novar and on Landy tracks around the west of the Fyrish ridge then northeast between the Windfarm and Fyrish. If it's been dry then go around Lochmorie from the Boath Road, if not go thro the fields (on a track) through Ardross Castle grounds and straight up Strath Ruisdale and over to Glen Calvie then on to Croick and what you are doing. It's something like 63 miles. Needs short term planning to avoid facing a headwind.

We'll be the only riders at Slattadale, so just ask. It's a very short morning and an exciting afternoon. Short day.

italspark
    Free Member

myself, mrs italspark and rudie italspark will be in the campsite whenever we get there , it depends how much coffee we drink in escape route on the way up and if we catch the black isle brewery shop before it closes !(blue t5 camper with bikes on the back and maybe an awning if it arrives before we leave)…….kettles always on!
    looking forward to it

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Italspark says there's a pool in town too. Might have a soak afterwards. Sheera, if you are going by Escape Route, can you pick up my replacement stove from Dangerous, it should be in, otherwise you'll have a caffine hungry squatter.

Swayndo
    Free Member

Aye there is mcmoonter. Want a loan of my highlife card?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Highlife you say? Is that like Mile High?

Swayndo
    Free Member

Something like that …

NOT.

italspark
    Free Member

ill grind up some extra beans, chances of a good caffine fix at 8 am are slim

stuartie_c
    Free Member

What are the chances of me getting a performance-enhancing caffeine shot before I get my arse kicked at 8:31am?

italspark
    Free Member

come on down to the camper if your early enough and we,ll do you a triple shot

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have an mini espresso machine with me – If I set it up at the meet point?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Now I think about it, why don't we all just meet at the campsite since that's where everyone is staying?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘STW Scotland – Ullapool to Bonar Bridge C2C2C’ is closed to new replies.