Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • STW Scotland – Glen Clova Ride, April.
  • stuartie_c
    Free Member

STW Scotland – Glen Clova Ride, April.

In response to unpopular demand, I’m going to organise a STW weekend in Glen Clova on the weekend of April 25th/26th. Proposal is as follows:

Saturday ride: from Clova down the Glen to pick up the Minister’s Road over to Glenprosen Village. From here two options – up to road to Kilbo or over the Cateran Path into the hills and on to Kilbo (hard bastards option). From Kilbo, push/carry/ride(!) to Dreish/Mayar col (optional detour to summit of Mayar) then descend to Glen Doll by the Kilbo Path. This is a fantastic descent which will really test your bike skills. FS or hardcore-hardtail recommended. Road back to Clova.

Sunday ride: from Clova up the Glen to pick up the track to Bachnagairn. Up this past Scotland’s only Spanish crag – Juanjorge. Carry/push/ride(!) up track to the Broad Cairn stables. Down Coire Chash to Loch Muick. Along the Loch to pick up the Capel Mounth track and the superb descent back to Glen Clova.

Accommodation: Clova Hotel has a bunkhouse which I can look into booking once I know numbers. It may be possible to camp by the hotel, but I’d have to check. Another possibility is the Scout hut at Glen Doll/Braedownie. There is no camping allowed here anymore due to the prevalence of Dundonian gadgies getting pished and pillaging the local community.

If you’re interested, send me an email (address in profile) with the following info:

[*]Name (and STW moniker, unless it’s obvious)

Location (for lift sharing purposes)

Which days you’re interested in

Whether you’ll be staying to drink heavily on Saturday night (and need somewhere to lay your addled head)

An indication of fitness/ability level – Saturday’s ride is a pretty big day out…
    [/*]

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

I could be interested in this. I’ll have to check my rota card and get back to you.
    The last time I was up Clova was for a wedding and we stayed in one of the lodges. It’s great up there!
    Which ride? hmm, It’ll depend on me getting my finger out and boosting my fitness again.
    I’ll be in touch.

Paul.

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve had a few drinks. I’ll say “yes”.

I retain the right to retract this statement when I see sense 🙂 (or my wifes shifts intervene)

I’d be interested in the shorter Saturday trip, possibly an overnighter but camping. If there’s a fast/slow split, I’ll be in the latter!

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Good show chaps!

Druidh, it can be very flexible and I’m very much open to suggestions. We can have different groups on different rides on each day (my basic thinking was hard day on Sat, “easier” day on Sun). Nothing will be set in stone just now. If lots of people respond, we can have big groups split into 2s or 3s for safety – lots of possibilities.

It would also be good to have someone like yourself who knows his way around the hills. You could even persuade some mlehers (I’m too scared :-)).

trail_rat
    Free Member

id have been keen and im local BUT its SXC rnd 2 on the 26th 🙁

druidh
    Free Member

And Kielder Avalanche

stuartie_c
    Free Member

OK – date is arbitrary. How about the following weekend, 2nd/3rd May?

I’m easy on when we do this, but late April/early May tends to be the most reliable weather-wise.

Easily changed – post preferences and we’ll go with the majority (I’d forgotten about SXC dates despite having sworn to do at least 4 this year..)

druidh
    Free Member

1st Weekend in May is a Bank Holiday. That might give some of the Southerners a better chance to get back home? But then the hills will also be busier. Thing is, it’s gonna clash with something regardless.

kennyp
    Free Member

Wouldn’t have minded the May date, but we did have it pencilled in for a mountain bike trip to Harris, so would need to check with the other guys. I know they are keen on Harris as we did Glen Clova last year. I’ll ask though.

The April date’s probably out as I plan to be up at Laggan riding demo bikes all weekend. Overall, later in the summer would be better as weekends over the next few months are fairly booked already. And it would mean I’d have my new bike by then.

rickmeister

Knowing the area, it will be a weekend to remember…..

13thfloormonk

Sounds great! count me in for drinking/riding/camping whatever. I’ll try my luck in a faster group, but will probably slow down for the descents (i treat my hardtail ‘hardcore’ but it sometimes objects…)

Would have preferred the april dates, as i’m hopefully off touring as of the 1st may.

Smee
    Free Member

I too would be interested in a camping or perhaps even a bothy overnight option. Any date suits me.

valley
    Free Member

Hi Stuartie i,d be up for both day’s any date,camping /bunkhouse & probably 2 or 3 mate’s as well sound’s like a great weekend

I would definitely be up for this. I have bookings for the April weekend, and will probably have a trip on the May Bank Holiday (unconfirmed at the minute) but will definitely come along if I’m free.

I have space for 4 or 5 plus bikes and gear in my van, so could give a lift to anyone coming from the North Ayrshire /Glasgow direction.

Phil

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Good response so far… Cheers.

Looks like the May weekend is the more popular. Once you’ve decided can you get details to me by email so I can start planning.

SC

Here’s some photos to whet the appetite:

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Some maps.

Saturday ride:

and the southern bit showing options:

ton

stuart, do we have a set date for this.
    i fancy this mate, for the full weekend.
    please let me know.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

Yup, a firm date would be good.
    The April w/end I can make however I’m nightshift the following Fri, Sat so could make the Sunday if it’s not too early a start.

(that said, at this present time the Saturday ride may be out of my comfort zone :D)

househusband

I should be up for that, once a firm date has been set.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Hmmmm, doing the shorter Glen Clova saturday route and the Capel Mounth/Loch Muick ride would be amazing. Do-able? How much hikey/bikey does the saturday route have Stuart?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

OK – I say we go for the 2nd/3rd May weekend, as it seems to suit more people.

Apologies if this rules it out for anyone, but if it’s a success there’s no reason why we can’t do another one later in the year.

Get those email to me if you are definitely interested.

SC

bumbly1
    Free Member

I should be up for this too but no need for accomodation (camper)

Tom

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Shortbread,

Saturday route is mostly rideable as far as Kilbo then it’s a push/carry most of the way to the Dreish/Mayar col. If it’s dry and you are fit you could ride some of it but I’d be impressed if anyone could do the whole thing without resorting to feet. Having said that, it’s not too bad. I seem to recall it being about 45 minutes of steady plodding and it becomes rideable near the top.

The way I did it last time was the westmost dotted line over The High Tree which involved a bit of a bog and a short, sharp carry. The descent to Glen Prosen was a bit sketchy and I’m just speculating that the solid line is a better route (I seem to remember seeing a path coming down the hillside, but I’d need to do a bit of a recce.)

Did I see you say in a recent post that you’re in Fife? Whereabouts? I live in Dunfermline.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m up for the may weekend. Funnily enough, I was looking at a similar weekend at work last night, staying at the youth hostel in prosen. Spooky.

I reckon I can talk at least one of the guys into this, I’ll email you tommorow, Stuart.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Scottishmountainbikeguide, I may be looking for a lift (ayrshire lad as well) depending on the wifes shifts.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

stuart – cheers, yes it would be a monumental route. I’ve done the Loch Muick/Capel Mounth one a few times but I was fitter back then! I’ll maybe try the Glen Clova one before attempting anything too daft!

Yes, moved to Dunfermline a few weeks ago. I have done a bit of lurking/research (!!) and noticed you (I think) are involved in the local club. Would be good to get out soon – I’ve not done much recently aside from a bit of road riding. Some nice quiet roads about here actually.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Cool, I’ve nothing planned for May 2nd and 3rd. Just need to hone the finer points of childcare so I can confirm.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Can’t believe trekster ain’t been on this thread yet, must be nightshift!.

bruneep

Mibbe just Mibbe.

Weather warning

**Wouldn’t have been the first time we’ve had to bail out of a Loch Muick ride around April due to snow**

Have a plan C

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

That looks fantastic, how long are the respective Sat and Sun routes?

grumm
    Free Member

I’m well interested – not sure if my fitness/big bike would make me too slow though.

Also interested in how long the routes are – did 33k round Grizedale on Fri with about 1400m of climbing and that was enough for me for one day really at the moment.

druidh
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone need worry about being “too slow”. If I can make it, I’ll be happy to pedal along at a chilled pace.

Nobeerinthefridge – can’t say for definite if I can make it yet, I have a provisional but unconfirmed booking for the May weekend. If I can make it you’re welcome to a lift. Whereabouts are you?

Phil

grumm
    Free Member

Will the weather be like in those pics? 😛

jimmy

I’m almost definately up for this, late April / early May would be spot on for me.

I would drive from Edinburgh with space for 1 maybe 2 more, depending on size of bikes. If we’re riding loops back to the cars, I’d be a happy camper.

Fitness – a happy medium I’d say.

druidh
    Free Member

grumm – Member

Will the weather be like in those pics?

Like this?

and this?

I thought was just normal 🙂

Those were both taken on 5th May last year.

devs
    Free Member

Bummer. I’d be all over this like a rash but I’ve got 2 weeks skiing lined up in Apr and the 2nd one finishes on the May weekend. Jojo, you need to do this so I can pick your brains on it, I’ve got it lined up as one of the club rides later in the year.
    As for those enquiring about the weather, I have done the last week of the season in Val d’Isere loads of times. It always finishes on that weekend and it has always been roasting on my trip back!

druidh
    Free Member

Devs – if you want to know anything about the Loch Muick circuit, let me know.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Aye, count me in too, I’ve ridden several loops up there. Keen on a camping option. Talked about it on todays ride and the guys are up for it too.

EdwardH

Damn, I would love to give that rout a go, but as the new familly addition is due in April I dont think me dissapearing off for a weekend would go down well.

I remember well attempting to map Glen Clova and Bowens type section for metamorphic gradation in May. Under about 6 foot of snow……….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘STW Scotland – Glen Clova Ride, April.’ is closed to new replies.