Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • STW runnerists…..HOKA trainers….recommendations for road/light trail..?
  • carlphillips
    Free Member

as above, I like the stiff sole and rocker design as I’ve early OA in the big toe so this design helps with toe off and reduces stress in that area,
    any real world experiences of these would be great..

OwenP

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/road-running-shoes-1

Might be some useful stuff on other brands in that thread too? FWIW my Hoka Conquest 3 are over a year old now and holding up okay, some cosmetic damage around the outer covering where the shoe flexes.

Still comfy shoes to run in, I’ve been injury-free and they just feel like my “normal” running shoes now (although I only do 15 – 25km per week total which includes tarmac and bridleway stuff). They haven’t transformed my running or drastically improved my pace either though 🙂

dovebiker

I have about 5 pairs of Hokas and some do feel quite different to others – for example I find Stinsons too squishy and unstable in comparison to others. Probably best to go to a shop and try some different ones on. They certainly have helped reduced the incidence of running injuries for me.

carlphillips
    Free Member

cheers all, my local running shop only stocks the clifton and challenger, but will go try some on and see what i think.
    I’ll have a read of that thread too cheers.

scotroutes

I’ve been using Challenger ATRs. Certainly very comfy. The one thing I need to watch is fastening them up correctly to stop my feet rotating in them.

wallop

I have the Hoka One Ones – I’m only a beginner runner but I’ve not picked up any injuries yet and they are very comfortable.

piemonster

Brooks Calderas are worth a look, I’ve been getting on very well with them.

chowsh
    Free Member

Just got a pair of the Bondi to try as I’m running on packed gravel and tarmac, impressed so far with the comfort and stability. Only 3 weeks into couch to 5k but these seem cushioned and supportive as I drag my fat arse around. Got them from here http://www.ultramarathonrunningstore.com/Hoka-One-One-Shoes-s/1935.htm good price and quick delivery.

Kuco

I use Challenger ATR 3 they do come up a bit narrow but I do find them comfy. The soles are pretty soft as i’ve pulled a couple of big thorns out the soles a couple of times this year using them.

Flaperon

I grabbed a pair of TNF Cardiac 2s from Cotswold last week while they were down to about £60 with the various end of line discounts. The sizing is weird (I had to buy a 10 and I’m normally a 9), but they’re comfortable over long distances and ultra grippy despite a fairly gentle tread pattern.

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/the-north-face-mens-ultra-cardiac-ii-shoe-l1314589

Unlike some of the other trail-focussed shoes they don’t look terrible when not running, either…

carlphillips
    Free Member

cheers all, went with the Bondi’s in the end on chowsh’ suggestion.
    seemed perfect for me.
    looking forward to the comfort!
    cheers all

MSP

I have some speed instinct for trail running, and while I don’t notice a great difference while running from a more traditional running shoe, I do find they lessen the post run aches and pains.

I am going to get some bondi to try as well at the end of this month.

chowsh
    Free Member

Always a bit worried when someone takes my advice! Hope they’re good for you.

carlphillips
    Free Member

@chowsh i’ll let you know!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘STW runnerists…..HOKA trainers….recommendations for road/light trail..?’ is closed to new replies.