Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • STW roadies. What overshoes for winter ?
  • trailofdestruction
    Free Member

I’m in need of something to go over my lovely, but highly vented Specialized road shoes to keep my toes warm this winter.

Already sorted for De-feet woolie boolie socks, just looking for recommendations for something to go over the top.

What are you lot wearing ?

( Size UK 10 with a broad foot, if that’s of any use )

trail_rat
    Free Member

anything neoprene

redted
    Free Member

Endura’s here, relatively cheap, toasty warm, fairly durable.

AlasdairMc

I’ve got Altura Nevis ones, but I think they’re for MTB as they’ve got quite big cutouts for the soles. Still good though.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I have these and they are awesome

Actually mr 3rd set of overshoes and the best so far (other were endura where the zip broke and material at the front fell to pieces)

tonyd

I’ve got a very old pair of Altura, something like this that do the job. I also picked up some of these in a rummage bin ages ago. Just used them this week and they’re perfect for this kind of weather.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I have some cheap Northwave ones. Seem to do the job 🙂

cp

Endura Luminite – this will be their third season, and they are still in good condition. I use them for mtb (the studs have made a hole, but it just helps keep them on!) and road. They are thin, but are the warmest, most water repellent & wind proof overshoe I’ve ever used. They have a smooth neoprene-like outer and a slightly fleecey inner.

Blimmin reflective too.

kcr
    Free Member

I’ve had poor results with my last few pairs of overshoes (broken zips, fast wearing soles, etc) but I’m currently using the Endura MTB Neoprenes (with the rubber toe coating). I use these for commuting, and they actually seem to be wearing pretty well. The only problem I had with them was that I had to trim the thick textured rubber off the inside edge, because it was rubbing against my cranks when pedalling.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Grip grab hammerhead ones here, they are very good compared to the cheap ones I used before. They are not completely waterproof but shower proof and warm. No cheap though.

GrunkaLunka
    Free Member

Had a pair of Louis Garneau XTR2’s last year and blew them apart on the first ride. They were fine size wise but the zip fell off before I’d made it out of the door and the stitching disintegrated round about lunch time. Totally put me off any other LG stuff. No idea if I was just unlucky.

atlaz
    Free Member

I have some PRO ones and some Planet-X ones. Both seem like much of a muchness

drlex
    Free Member

If it’s just the toes, how about this dainty number on the sister site?

bluebird
    Free Member
    steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got some Altura Etape ones, very thin but pretty waterproof and fleecy lined.

On my 2nd winter with them now and all is good.

Kryton57

£9.99 on one / planet x here, seem to do the job.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Northwave goretex boots. Overshoes’ life can be counted in minutes

MM

carbon337
    Free Member

+1 PX

FuzzyWuzzy

Pro Tarmac NPU+ are what I used to wear (+ Woolie Boolies) with my s-works road shoes over winter, worked pretty well (feet get wet but stay warm unless you’re going through a lot of deep puddles as the water your feet is warming gets replaced). Changed now to winter boots as they’re a bit more versatile IMO and my shoes were getting very sweaty and I didn’t want to wreck them over winter.

ourmaninthenorth

Endura Road (non-reflective) for me. I’m on my second pair after a zip fail on the first pair and a warranty return saga with Evans/Endura, which Evans resolved quite nicely.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I bought a pair of Shimano wintershoes RW80s?
    Best thing ever for winter, saves a lot of faffing around..

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Endura here too, the ~£20 neoprene ones. Do the job and a reasonable price even if they do only last a couple of years.

MrGreedy

Neoprene is definitely the way to go. Endura ones have lasted me a couple of years so far – have lost one of the velcro security tabs and picked up a few scuffs but more importantly they still keep the water out.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Kcr – already have those Endura mtb ones, but look like a mtb’er on a road bike, so want something a bit more road orientated.

Toe warmers are for people who don’t don’t have to ride through 3 farmyards on their commute in white shoes.

Those Endura road ones are a bit …. gimpish, don’t you think.

Like the sound of the cheap ones from planet x though. Can’t bring myself to pay £40 for Gore ones.

ourmaninthenorth

Toe warmers are for people who don’t don’t have to ride through 3 farmyards on their commute in white shoes.

Other than the really cold weather, how about some oversocks? Prendas do some.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

OMITN – Well, after a summer trip to Ghent, I am now swanning around the Fylde coast with Belgian pretensions, so oversocks might well be the answer.

twinklydave

The Planet X ones are decent thickness neoprene (3mm I think), with nicely reflective bits and – most importantly – a big huge velcro closing so getting them on/off with gloves/numb hands isn’t an issue and they won’t clog with muck

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘STW roadies. What overshoes for winter ?’ is closed to new replies.