Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • stw roadies: genuinely light frame?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve been scouring eBay for damaged but repairable carbon frames, trying to get a bargin.

Thing is when you ask for a weight they all seem to be 1kg+ even when listed at 850gm by the manufacturer (I’ve not come across a supersix nano or whatever it’s called).

Is there anything genuinely this light out there?

BMC winning the porkie pie contest with 850gm actually being 1150gm, a mere 30% lie.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Scott Addict SL is genuinely 800 odd grams in size 58, at least mine was.

johnnystorm

Scott CR1-SL is about that as well.

cyclistm
    Free Member

I presume that manufacturers weigh frames completley bare. Without headset bearings and cups, seatclamp etc. Are the frames being weighed in the same stripped down state?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

They weigh several of the smallest frame they have, then pick the lightest, they *only* weigh the actual carbon bit and the stuff that´s bonded to it. And they either weigh it unpainted or with the lightest paint option. So for some frames they’ll be missing cable guides, seat post clamp and both mech hangers, which is something like 75-100 grams. Going from a simple single colour black (or bare/lacquered) frame to a gloss white might be another 300 grams.

Only way to really tell how much a frame actually weighs is to buy one and weigh it.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Or alternatively, your sellers might be quoting measured weights including bottom bracket, or headset, or seatpost?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Good info re Scotts ta.

My 2009 CR1 is ,1kg (bare, 57) so that makes sense.

I recently got a BMC SLR01 claimed weight 849gm, weighed 1300gm with the seized seatpost (and BSA BB adaptor) in 🙁

RobHilton
    Free Member

Don’t forget to factor in the extra weight of the spoon, too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

also factor in the lead to get it to minimum UCI weight 😉 no point making something so light that you’re going to have to add too much to it…

chakaping
    Free Member

There are a lot of those CR1 SLs around from when they were punting the framesets out for £500 a few years back.

Love mine.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Are they also quoting for the fork, frames useless if the forks not attached.

Most light production frames are indeed 750g-1kg with/without forks, forks weight in at about 350-400g so a 750g frame and fork will be 1100g thereabouts ….

Simple eh.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I recently got a BMC SLR01 claimed weight 849gm, weighed 1300gm with the seized seatpost (and BSA BB adaptor) in

Sounds about right, seatpost 250g, seat clamp 25g, BB adapter 50g, is 975g. Did it have a headset (100-120g) or internal cables still in?

cynic-al
    Free Member

TINAS – nope, seatpost is superlight, I’d guess <200gm. no headset, no seatclamp, no way a plastic bb guide is 50gm.

Thanks for your input though 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

TINAS – nope, seatpost is superlight, I’d guess <200gm. no headset, no seatclamp, no way a plastic bb guide is 50gm.

If it’s stuck it’s presumably aluminium, if it’s aluminium then significantly <200g is optimistic.

Take it out and weigh it. if you’re going to be weight weenie, you have to do it properly, spreadsheets and all! Manufacturers bend the truth, but it’s not really fair to say it’s a lie if you’ve not stripped the frame don properly.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

My 2006 Giant tcr advanced in the clear laquered option is genuinely 920g with seatmast but no clamp.

bigdog
    Free Member

Super six evo himod 695 gm

Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod Red Racing road bike – first look

Not sure I’d want a repair one.

cynic-al
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

If it’s stuck it’s presumably aluminium, if it’s aluminium then significantly <200g is optimistic.

Take it out and weigh it. if you’re going to be weight weenie, you have to do it properly, spreadsheets and all! Manufacturers bend the truth, but it’s not really fair to say it’s a lie if you’ve not stripped the frame don properly. [/quote]

Honestly, do you think I am stupid? Why do you insist on coming in with incorrect assumptions as if I don’t know the answers, when I’m the one looking at the frame?

It’s a carbon seatpost, propriety, on their flagship bike. 200gm is realistic. And it’s seized in.

boblo
    Free Member

Blimey Al, bad day at the orifice? 🙁

damascus
    Free Member

What kind of repairs are you looking for? By the time you’ve fixed a broken stay you might have added a couple of 100g.(I’m no expert, i don’t know how much a repair weighs)

There must be a Chinese carbon copy on Ali or eBay etc that fits the bill. I think I’d prefer to ride a generic Chinese copy than a home fixed repair frame off eBay that’s over 5 years old.

wilburt
    Free Member

Its why they give them secondary names, evo, pro, advanced, SL etc.

The weight quoted in the cycling press will be for the top model that nobody buys whilst the bike in your LBS is the 2nd or 3rd tier still probably called “advanced” but it bit more portly. The third tier may also have fewer features, hidden seat clamp etc.

It cynical or marketing depending on your view point.

for me the cycnical bit is the press write up..

” The new Fandagio Supersport weighs in at a super light 800g and whilst the top model is £9000 the range starts at £1500″ But it doesn’t really cos the base model is different frame altogether.

midlifecrashes

Worth remembering when you come to the repair that lightweight cutlery is manufactured for airline use, though I only ever see the plastic stuff these days. Perhaps someone who turns left when boarding can help you out with some samples.

http://www.aeroexpo.online/aeronautic-manufacturer/aircraft-cutlery-kit-589.html

TiRed

Giant Defy Advanced SL frames are the lightest frame Giant ever made. Watch the seatpost has not been cut too short.

They won’t be cheap!

scud
    Free Member

Have you looked at Trek Emonda, friend i ride with bought a frameset at £1400 to build up and he has built a 6.6kg bike using standard not too weight weenie parts, the frameset weighed 1.58kg with forks, headset and spacers as it came from memory

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Honestly, do you think I am stupid?

Do you really want an answer to that 😆

amedias
    Free Member

By the time you’ve fixed a broken stay you might have added a couple of 100g.(I’m no expert, i don’t know how much a repair weighs)

Then why make up a figure? That’s exactly how misinformation spreads! 😉

I don’t know how much weight a ‘normal’ repair would add either. (but I doubt it’s as much as that). Anyone here actually give us an idea?

BMC winning the porkie pie contest with 850gm actually being 1150gm, a mere 30% lie.

I think that once you take your seatpost and BB adaptor out of the equation the Planet X Galibier might win that prize, admittedly it’s not carbon, but Alu, and this is directly lifted from the speil on their site:

Sub 1kg frame weight

(been previously quoted as 995g)

But most people who’ve actually had one in the flesh say ~1130gm, not denying it’s light for an Alu frame but certianly not <1kg as claimed*. At least with carbon the claims are believable lies marketing figures.

*yes, yes they probably mean they found one example fromt he factory, in a child’s size, and with no paint on that weighed that, but still a big fib in reality.

njee20
    Free Member

Chinese?

My Deng Fu FM208 is 920g (actual), and that’s painted, I suspect a ‘bare’ lacquered frame would be lighter.

damascus
    Free Member
    cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks Damascus.

1.58kg is podgy.

wilburt
    Free Member

My 56cm Bianchi frame is 1050g and fork is 350g 🙂
    I am 89.5kg 🙁

breninbeener

I have a 56cm Scott Addict. I weigh and measure all sorts of stuff as im interested in it….

So, the frame with headset, top cap, forks, BB, bottle cage bolts, mech hanger, seat clamp, weighs 1330g. The forks weigh 334g. So the frameset with bb, headset etc weighs 996g.

I didnt include the steerer spacers.

It makes a great lively single speed fixed gear bike using an eccentric Eno rear hub, DA chainset, and carbon finishing kit.

njee20
    Free Member

FM-208, $575, bargain.

plus-one
    thomthumb
    Free Member

I just spotted this bike on EBAY and thought of you, it’ll be much lighter than most.

needs a small repair.

cynic-al
    Free Member

😀

jkomo

That eBay frame is perfect if you have the lower attachment.

cynic-al
    Free Member

How so njee?

nathb
    Free Member

Workswell WCB-R-066 (same geo as a Cervelo R5) is worth a shout if you look at Chinese bikes.

51cm is 800g, my 56cm was 1029g including the ridiculously heavy metal BBright BB they had installed (can’t remember the weight of that when I removed it, but can track it down if you’re interested).

There’s a huge weight weenies thread dedicated to it, and both I and CH race on them.

pedroball
    Free Member

Well when I bought my Giant TCR SL2 I asked them to put it on the scales, being sceptical on what the weights are usually said to be, and with everything bar the pedals, it came in at 6.8kg – with alu bar and stem. The frame is bonkers light and great on the road (just as comfy as my old “endurance” bike). There are some great deals on 2017 TCR SL bikes now…

tlr

Try looking for a Cervelo R5. My 56cm 2012 frame was 760g as it arrived, with hanger, bottle cage bolts, seat clamp etc.

Should be a few around as there was a good deal on these for a few months just before the new R5 shipped.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘stw roadies: genuinely light frame?’ is closed to new replies.