• This topic has 53 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • STW. Ride Ist. November – Marple Lakes (Stockport)
  • Bunnyhop

Some interest was shown yesterday on Ton's ride to taste the delights of the lesser known bits of the Dark Peak.
    NBT. has offered to guide.
    It will be the usual up rocky bits, down rocky bits, flat bits, some road, some banter, some tumbles etc.
    These trails are mostly all weather ( should it rain).

There is a cafe. carpark and toilet facilities at the Roman lakes.
    Linky to the start point to be put up later ('cos I'm rubbish on a computer and don't know how to do it).

I think a start of 9.30 a.m. due to the clocks going back and one less hour of daylight.

marsdenman
    Free Member

If i did not know any better I'd say you lot arrange these things so a fat pseudo Yorkshireman can't make it….. 😉
    had it been on the 8th you would have hat to put up with me……
    Not to worry, have fun folks folks….. all things being equal I'll be in the Taunton area, nursing a hangover….

richpips
    Free Member

I'll be there.
    Lunch at the Fox?

hp_source

If I did not know any better I'd say a certain pseudo Yorkshireman waits for a ride to be arranged then comes up with a convenient excuse 😉

I should be around for this I think.

lowey

There were a few locations being bandied around yesterday, but if this is the one we settled with then that suits me fine. Some EXCELLENT riding from round there. Am I right in thinking this is the Roman lakes ?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking this is the Roman lakes ?

that's correct, except that strictly speaking they are ponds 🙂

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

i fancies that

Junkyard
    Free Member

+1

Kramer
    Free Member

Bummer, can't make it, going to a Halloween party the night before.

ton

2 more here………me and…….me 😉

Vortexracing

oh, may struggle with a pass out for this one, last day of 1/2 term, better get working on my brownie points. 🙄

lowey

Kramer…. did you not see the state of me on Sunday morning ?

If I can make it after 9.5 hours of solid drinking the day before, then you should piss it. MTFU

marsdenman
    Free Member

LOL @ Keith! Agree, seems I'm full of excuses but, as it stands, the 8th is my only free Sunday in November….(and I would not even need a pass out as MrsMM is on a hen do…)
    'missing' another group ride really is a frustration though – especially as i've been a good boy – at least getting riding in by commuting as much as possible, just need to get a few more miles in now, ready for the Quantocks in a couple of weeks – I'm doing the Seb Rogers course…

Right now though I've half a ton of firewood to stack then I'm off up Wessenden on the bike!!

Please do let me know though if you're still thinking of setting up a 'Saddleworth Moor' route for a forum ride?
    Cheers
    Chris

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

going to a Halloween party the night before.

so overindulgence is more important that biking ?? Or shall you be on the pull ?

hp_source

Saddleworth was mentioned for the december ride, but if november is again in the lower part of the north, then this may get rolled back so we can even up the travelling for those that have already travelled down for 2 months.

If you want to sort out a bit of a ride for the weekend of the 8th then lets book it in, could make it a saddleworth/marsden moor ride planning trip, with post ride refreshments obviously 🙂

Kramer
    Free Member

lowey – it's the 2 hour drive over the limit that I'm bothered about.

Honest. 😉

Bunnyhop

SimonfBarnes- you are indeed correct. The lakes are small ponds.
    The cafe (I use the word loosely) is a shop front type thingy, where snacks and drinks are eaten outside.

Kramer – Get your priorities in order man!

hp_source – good idea.

Richpips- maybe 'The Little Mill' at Rowarth would be better, as 'The Fox' is at the start of the ride.
    I am not in charge of the pub/cafe/where we stop for lunch part of the ride, I'll leave that up to nbt.

Trekster

what is the nearest big town?

could make this if the SO can get some shopping therapy 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

where snacks and drinks are eaten outside.

and it will be raining…

what is the nearest big town?

Manchester 🙂

Bunnyhop

Nearest city is Manchester.
    Stockport town is nearer. M60 I think it's junction 27 – follow signs for Marple- voila.

Edit : The worst shopping centre in the world is in Stockport. She could try The Trafford cnetre.

lowey

Trekster, Trafford Center is only 20 mins or so away.

simonm
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking this is the Roman lakes ?

that's correct, except that strictly speaking they are ponds

and not Roman…Victorian yes, thanks Mr Oldknow.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

"Victorian gravel pits" doesn't have the same ring to it 🙁

(although to be fair it still sounds better than the place is)

marsdenman
    Free Member

Keith – right, 8th is in the diary!!
    Getting a route plan together, and having the odd pint after is not a bad idea…..
    Actually, if you're free on the Sat 7th that could be another option – MrsMM is away on a hen for the weekend so there's the offer of crashing over here if you like – save you having to just sip the Riverheads finest??

NOTE – the offer is related to our having spare rooms, not in lieu of you 'replacing' MrsMM for the night 😀

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

not in lieu of you 'replacing' MrsMM for the night

this is known as "playing hard to get"…

thepodge
    Free Member

I think i might pop along for this. its only up the road from me

marsdenman
    Free Member

😆 @ SFB….

justme
    Free Member

I dont know if you had gone or not but kirby stephen was pencilled in for the nov ride (date to be sorted later – usually when dj,s not working cos he tends to sort the routes for the north)as kieth said this means the folks from up the north east (team darlo) get a short drive every other time (it has worked out over the year that the rides have been north then south – sun was a south ride)this then works that saddleworth is the next south ride in dec. there is however no reason not to throw in an extra ride in the extra south!!

Bunnyhop

We must have gone by that time. I did talk to D.J. but didn't realise how the system worked.
    As you say this is an early in the month ride and there's plenty of room for another. 🙂

lowey

I dont know if you had gone or not but kirby stephen was pencilled in for the nov ride (date to be sorted later – usually when dj,s not working cos he tends to sort the routes for the north)as kieth said this means the folks from up the north east (team darlo) get a short drive every other time (it has worked out over the year that the rides have been north then south – sun was a south ride)this then works that saddleworth is the next south ride in dec. there is however no reason not to throw in an extra ride in the extra south!!

I thought I heard that mentioned right at the end, thats why I wasnt too sure about the location.

Its a fair point about team Darlo too, they have had 2 southern drives for the last 2. Bunny, how about changing this one to mid november as doing the Kirby Stephen one on the 1st ?

Bunnyhop

As nbt and I are newbies to your group then it's only fair that the majority go on a Kirby Stephen ride.

We may keep this ride anyway, as there has been alot of interest outside of the STWers. Then we can join you on the December one. 🙂

nbt

Let's call Marsdenman's bluff and say 8th for Marple? 😉

lowey

Righty Ho, 1st is Kirkby Stephen then… never ridden around there.

ton

kirby stephen it is then……….and any arguments will be sorted out in the gentlemanly way…………sumo wrestling….. 😉

Vortexracing

kirby stephen was pencilled in for the nov ride

My understanding as well.

any chance of making it the 1st, that way I can join you lot. If it's the 8th then Mrs chucky will not be too please at me riding all day Sunday and then jetting off to Spain on the Wednesday for 5 days riding.

how was the 2nd hand pie Graham?

sumo wrestling

Tony in a large g string/nappy is not a sight I look forward to. No offence Tony

montylikesbeer

Go on then count me in (still a bit sheepish for missing this weekends ride, knee still a bit iffy)

justme
    Free Member

the 1st was the date mentioned for kirby stephen but would also do the 8th in marple as well cos I dont know anywhere at all round there
    chucky the pie was cold but still very good with a beer
    g

marsdenman
    Free Member

Let's call Marsdenman's bluff and say 8th for Marple?

Call away! Don't put your house on it though – especially as I have inside info that you guys may not be around on the 8th……. 😀 😀

Trekster

1st is good for me, just need to sort transport.
    8th is nae guid, working.

ton

Trekster

talk stuart into coming down…
    tell him i need a riding buddy………… 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘STW. Ride Ist. November – Marple Lakes (Stockport)’ is closed to new replies.