• This topic has 29 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by kbomb.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • STW redirecting to a single page advert on every single thread opening.
  • jekkyl

I haven’t seen anyone complaining about this so wondering if it’s my comp but I’m at work so I doubt it.
    Everytime I open a new thread, instead of seeing the thread I clicked on the page redirects to a small advert taking up about 1/8 of the page. For all sorts of random things, E cigs, cars, watches & god knows what. It is very irratating as the only way to get rid of it is to copy the url, open a new browser, paste it in and press go. You can’t simply refresh and even pressing back sometimes it just opens the advert again.
    Please get rid of it Mark, there’s a good chap 🙂

GrahamS

Screenshot?

Unless the adverts have got a lot more obnoxious on STW lately, it sounds more like you have a malware infection.

annebr
    Free Member

You’ve been hijacked

nowt to do with STW

jekkyl

I work for a large bank, there are approx 1000 PCs in this building, the IT infastructure doesn’t allow for malware or viruses or any such nonsense.

scotroutes

Not happening for me.

Windows 7 / Chrome (icognito mode so full ads etc)

allthepies
    Free Member

What’s the URL at top of webpage when one of the ads is displayed ?

Cougar

Can you let me know what this 100% infallible anti-malware system is that you’re using, which still allows web browsing to personal non-work related websites and advertising networks? I’m sure the rest of the world would love to know.

Screenshots would help narrow down the issue.

stevie750

I get this as well. Just shows an ad .

If it happens again who do I send the screenshot to?

jekkyl

lol.
    a screenshot might be an issue as this archaic site doesn’t allow for uploading of pics and I can’t access any hosting site.
    The url is just the same.

EDIT: limited to using IE8 if that’s of any consequence.

Cougar

If it happens again who do I send the screenshot to?

Post it here. Or, the moderator address I suppose. There’s nothing we can do directly but we can give a second opinion and then pass it to the tech bods.

Cougar

a screenshot might be an issue as this archaic site doesn’t allow for uploading of pics and I can’t access any hosting site.

Do it when you get home. If it’s an issue with the site then you’ll be getting the same symptoms there I’d expect.

Or as I said to the other poster, email it.

Cougar

You’re running IE8, you’ve got a web connection which is serving adverts and allowing personal web browsing, and you don’t ever get malware infections because you’re “in a bank”?

I don’t believe you, sorry. I bet you’re still running XP too.

Drac

I work for a large bank, there are approx 1000 PCs in this building, the IT infastructure doesn’t allow for malware or viruses or any such nonsense.

😆

jekkyl

okay okay let me quantify that. It blocks any download. It blocks any attempt to access any wesbite which might harbour anything nasty and it also blocks any attempt to access any site deemed, personal like blog sites or facebook, anything that streams music or vid like youtube or anything which contains a long list of banned words which include lots of sexual things or drugs or whatever, you get the picture. & yes it is XP.

scotroutes

Tit
    arse
    fanny

* did this post come up?

scotroutes

Bomb
    jihad
    anarchy

* this one?

jekkyl

do not speak unless it improves the silence.

scotroutes

UR IT INFRASTRUCTURE IS SARAZIN

Drac

yes it is XP.

Oh dear!

wwaswas

XP and IE 8?

*sniggers*

teethgrinder

FWIW i have been getting this (at work) on ie9 or 10. Not had it on mobile or tablet Chrome, or pc Chrome with really useful freeloading software.

antigee

had similar last week every time i opened the site (STW) got a white screen and an ad that didn’t have a close on it using windows 7 and chrome
    i just hit back button and opened again
    gone now i’ve cleansed the cookies

Sandwich

*points and laughs at the poverty spec bank IT*
    Goes away crying when realises it’s my everybodies bank with shonky IT

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Been happening to me at work for a while. White page with advert at top.

scaredypants

XP and IE 8?
    *sniggers*

Yo! Big shart art from the NHS massive !
    We’re on xp and ie8
    One of our pcs has a newer ie on it and several programmes won’t run because they detect an incompatible browser (or don’t detect a compatible one, if that’s different)

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I had an identical thing, traced it back to an advert/link thing (not on STW, a far far far bigger business) let the website support people know that they were serving up some virus/malware riddled shit on their website. They denied it (obviously).

Took me a couple of evenings to clear it off both computers at home and update all my protection stuff. (Did a clean install on one of them for other reasons.)

First time I went back to the website in question, it tried to do exactly the same thing again. On the PC with the clean install. It’s still apparently a problem with my computer (both of them), and my work computer. And the guy who sits next to me, his computer has it too……..

lowey

I also get this. Only on STW, no other site. Using Windows 10 and Chrome 46.0.2490.71.

Happens about 30% of the time when I open a thread. Always the same advert.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/zZU6uQ]stw[/url] by Dave Lowe, on Flickr

jekkyl

I think it seems to be the large advert that is to the right of the page, for some reason instead of loading it up in page it loads it up on a seperate page.

kbomb
    Free Member

If your IT infrastructure is that slack, you can probably get chrome onto your PC. Download a copy at home and save it dropbox or google drive, then download it on your PC at work and install it, it will let you install it without being an administrator. Should solve your woes, especially if it will let you install an ad blocker from the chrome web store.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘STW redirecting to a single page advert on every single thread opening.’ is closed to new replies.