Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • STW Razor aficionados – Your assistance please!
  • Teetosugars
    Free Member

I use these…

Andat £10 for 100? Well, you can’t really go wrong IMHO..

Clicky thingy

chewkw
    Free Member

Teetosugars – Member

I use these…

Andat £10 for 100? Well, you can’t really go wrong IMHO..

Clicky thingy

Good link that … I will put in an order for this in the near future … Totex Lemon Cologne – 5 Litre for £30. Ya baby!

Or this one … Selin Lemon Cologne – 1 Litre for £10.

willard

I genuinely never thought that I would see aftershave available in such bulk amounts. SingleTrack, I salute your bulk-buying prowess.

I think the main reason for the Futur desire is the look of the thing. The brushed steel/chrome and styling are very pleasing to my eye (so is the Vision, but that’s twice the money again) and the other razors just don’t have the same appeal. Well, some of them may do, but the Futur is the nicest.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

out of curiosity after a similar thread a few years ago, and being fed up paying for gillette, i bought a silly cheap lord razor to give it a go. less than a fiver with blades i think. i would’nt go back to mach 3.

i’m really lazy, shave in the shower, minimal prep, cheap turkish soap stick and cheap brush, no mirror. its fine. trick is getting the right blade for you. my skin is quite sensitive, feathers/7 oclock rip me up. derbys a bit too dull. sharks are my fave.

i too wondered how a more expensive razor could be better than my cheapie. wife bought me an edwin jagger (about 25quid i think) for xmas and my word its so much better. just more solid, better feel, definitely a better shave.

as i say, no way at all would i go back to mach 3. and besides, all the de stuff, the soaps, the blade packaging etc, are all way cooler.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

I gave up on the Gillette multi bladed razors a couple of years ago and bought a Merkur 38C and a pack of Derby blades.
    The trick is to give yourself plenty of time to shave so you aren’t rushing things. The day before I shave I use an exfoliating face wash which clears any ingrowing hairs and really reduces any razor burn.
    After a hot shower I massage a bit of hair conditioner into my beard then use King of Shaves gel or The Body Shop Macca Root shaving cream, it’s brilliant! and massage that in and begin shaving. I never go against the grain, it’s too close and aggressive for my skin and I get loads of ingrowns thereafter which takes a while to work out.
    Might try some different blades in a few weeks.

Hohum
    Free Member

ron jeremy – Member
    So next question then, is where is the best place to get blades?

For a starter kit with a good selection try Connaught Shaving

http://connaughtshaving.com/samplepack.html

mrmoofo

I would love to develop a skill in this black art – but it’s the time thing. I really don’t have 30 mins to fanny arse around in the morning – hence it’s a Mach 3 for me …

lemonysam
    Free Member

I would love to develop a skill in this black art – but it’s the time thing. I really don’t have 30 mins to fanny arse around in the morning – hence it’s a Mach 3 for me …

It doesn’t take me any longer than my old wilkinson sword. It’s also not a black art, it’s just shaving.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

30 minutes to shave and think some soap and a razor are a black art? Best sticking with the Mach 3

IHN

Mach 3 or equivalent plus a razor pit for the win. The razor pit is my top money saving tip of all time! It’s like shaving with new blades every time! Don’t faff about with the old fashioned nonsense, life is too short.

The greatest myth that all the companies want you to believe is that blades go blunt quickly. This is nonsense. They get dirty quickly which makes them less effective. A razor pit solves this problem.

This.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Thinking of trying a DE razor but they all look very bulky. How do you shave the bit under your nose?

househusband

How do you shave the bit under your nose?

That is, in all seriousness, a wholly valid question and that area can be tricky – does involve some gurning and facial contortion.

I’m in two minds about using my DE and all the niche gubbins – I find the whole experience quite relaxing and satisfying but a gel and a disposable can do much the same in a fraction of the time!

bigbloke
    Free Member

Been a convert for couple of years now. Better results and cheaper in long run. I use Edwin Jagger razor and brush , Gillette 7’o clock blades and Proraso shave creme with no complaints. It just works.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Thinking of trying a DE razor but they all look very bulky. How do you shave the bit under your nose?

carefully

hudders
    Free Member

Check out geofatboy on YouTube he runs a company in the US called shave nation, his videos are the best, watch a couple and you will be hooked, very instructional.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Cheers hudders very informative.

bigblackshed

BlindMelon – Member

Grow a moustache and become a real gentleman. 😉

Drac

Mekur here and than to teetosugars for some samples my next blades will be the Astra platinum they’ve performed the best so far.

I was a big fan of the Gillette Mach razors but at the price of blades no chance and the Mekur makes shaving a pleasure again not a daily chore.

freddyg
    Free Member

How do you shave the bit under your nose?

Same as you would with a cartridge razor.

DE convert here too (thanks to a thread on here a few years ago) – Merkhur at home and a 60’s Gilette Tech from ebay for travelling. Feathers in the Merkhur and Gilette 7 O’clock blades in the Tech. It took a fair amount of testing different blades to decide on the right combination for me.

The final straw for me was when I was bought a 5 bladed thing as a gift. It was really very good for 1 shave. Half way through the second shave it started to drag and I had to change the cartridge. When I looked at the cost of replacement blades I was horrified and reverted back to my trusty Mach 3. The old thread on here inspired me to have a punt on the Tech on ebay – I got it for around £12. I think it is highly unlikely I will ever revert back to cartridge shaving.

The other bonus is that the missus likes it and the associated paraphernalia means She and the kids are never stuck for something to buy come Christmas / Birthdays.

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Not read it all…and may have been said…..but I buy ladies razors as you get more for your money for essentially the same thing.

I go mid price and get 3 blades – but the grip and housing is all plastic.

I just look for whatever three bladed mid pricer is on offer in superdrug etc…..

A good gel is a must though so Gillette or Nivea…..and I have more than one hair on my chin…..

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Bear

Probably wont embed… As off phone

It didn’t would someone oblige?

bigblackshed

fitnessischeating – Member
    http://i.imgur.com/S1u7JiN.gif

Probably wont embed… As off phone
    It didn’t would someone oblige?

Here you go:

All very well and good if you wish to win first prize in the “Wild Man Of Borneo” competition. 😉

AdamW
    Free Member

Geofatboy’s videos are interesting. I’d like to save money on the shave and buying something like a Merkur and paraphernalia would be very ‘me’. Unfortunately one of my many major failings is that I am absolutely scared to death of blades. Even looking at a razor blade makes my skin crawl. 😕

I see in his Merkur vid he does *three* passes at a single shave from different directions. Do you lot using DE blade systems do that too?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

AdamW, I sometimes find that if I’ve left it for best part of a week, that I have to do my neck in two passes. It’s easier than trying to get it in one go. A stiptic pencil (available from Boots, just like a lipstick type thing) is a must for the first few bloodbaths. 🙂

I’m no expert and am just using a boots de razor and Wilkinson Sword blades, nor am I evangelising, but I’ve saved a fair few quid in the six months or so since I started.

sweepy
    Free Member

You lot have got too much time on your hands! I gave all that up and got a phillishave, no cuts and if im pushed for time I can shave on my drive 🙂

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice. Got a Merkur 33c and 7 o clock blades and I have to say its a great shave and not as dangerous as I expected!!

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘STW Razor aficionados – Your assistance please!’ is closed to new replies.