Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 166 total)
  • STW Purbecks ride? Anyone interested?
  • Bat1
    Free Member

Wife say's parkin is £8.50 over 4 hrs
    Ferry 90p pls 80p for Bike
    http://www.sandbanksferry.co.uk/tolls.php

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Dave – meeting at the ferry at 9.30 for a 10 or 10.20 ferry. Would have made it the sandbanks car park, but it's still summer rates. Should be plenty of parking on the peninsula i reckon.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

@ Bat1, Plenty of free on road parking on sandbanks peninsula, just go past the car park towards the ferry, all the roads are free. Ferry is £1.60 return with bike.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I reckon we might be up for this. I posted early on in the thread, but I'f we're free Sunday (Pending checking…!) I reckon we might come.
    🙂

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

If this forecast is accurate then weather is looking good.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

MM – Indeed, I just checked the Met Office –

UK Outlook for Friday 25 Sep 2009 to Sunday 4 Oct 2009:

Across more southern areas it should remain quite settled so mostly dry and often bright. These more settled conditions may extend further north for a time by the early part of October. Temperatures by day look set to be generally near the seasonal normal, although rather warm at times in the south, especially in the sunnier spells but overnight here it is likely to become locally chilly, with overnight mist and fog patches forming across some southern areas.

😀

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Better break out the mankini then….. oh, did i say that out loud?

cinnamon_girl

Oooooooooh I'm getting in a tiz cos I've been injured, gradually getting back in the saddle and just so worried that people will get held up 🙁

As if that isn't enough to contend with, I keep thinking about the sea crossing and how last time just about everyone bu$$ered off to the upper deck. I don't remember using the word 'puke' 😯

Where can I get a reliable shipping forecast for Sunday please?

dobo
    Free Member

wouldnt mind a chilled out pub stop ride around the purbecks, had a quality beer at the compass last time, good weather and company.
    Somehow though i have decided to have a look at a cyclocross race instead and may even enter on my mtb…

oldfart

Cg have you considered driving to Sandbanks and meeting the others there ?Thats probably what i'm going to do anyway plus i won't leave you behind rest assured.

RichPenny
    Free Member

The shipping forecast won't tell you much, because the ferry is never going to move about significantly. Poole harbour is well protected, and apart from the shipping channel it's got bugger all water in it. Plus it's a chain ferry!

MTFU 😉

oldfart

Hey Rusty listen up !As i'm coming from the wild west probably going to meet you t'other side of the ferry .Is that ok ? CG i meant Studland side dumb ass i am.10 or 1020 .Later one means more sunbathing !!!

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

No problem to pick you up on the other side OF, you're hardly gonna miss us. C_G, it will be plenty slow enough, and pad up if yer scared of re-injuring yerself. Weather's looking good, should be fine.

scaredypants

Bad news, I might be able to get away for this – what time (realistically) would I get back to Southampton afterwards?

DrP

With my sensible hat on, realistically I'll probably be unable to make this – I'm doing the London to Brighton Off-road on saturday, so 75 miles for 'charidee mate' may take it out of me….

I'll keep an eye out for the next one though!

DrP

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

@scaredypants – I would have thought we'll be on the road by 4 ish, so you should be home for 5 i'd have thought. If you need to shoot off early, it would be pretty easy to point you in the right direction of the ferry or someone will probably want to leave to.

It may even be earlier than this (flexible, or should i say winging, it is my middle name)

Hairychested
    Free Member

CG, I'll keep you company if you slow down 🙂

cinnamon_girl

oldfart – am determined to go on the ferry! Thanks anyway.

Hairychested – people will be able to walk faster than I can ride at the moment! Be good to see you again 🙂

rusty – I pad up for every ride now 🙄

Rich – yeah I know I've got to WTFU/MTFU!

Looking forward to it.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Conditions report – tonight it was mostly sandy, dry and dark, with gorse bushes everywhere.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for the update rusty. I'm not changing tyres so can you make sure the weather holds please?

If you have a minute, could you trim the gorse 😉

genghispod
    Free Member

I'd like to be there; not sure if it will be possible. Put me down as a maybe please!

johnners
    Free Member

I'm a probable, coming from the West so parking Studland side to avoid the terrifying sea crossing, any idea where you'll be passing so I can seamlessly blend in as if I were there from the off?

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

johnners – if its the 10.00 ferry it'll be about 10 past, if its the 10.20 it'll be half past (depending where you are parking). We should be easy to spot, about 20 half asleep middle aged herberts riding overly expensive kit for our ability level. Predictably i'll be on a blue on one as per stw regulations.

oldfart

overly expensive kit ? you forgot to mention **** out seatpost bolts !!!! 😆

charliedontsurf

I will also be on the wild side of the ferry. Easy to spot on an orange niner and slight hangover. I would have already done 10 miles do I will either be warmed up and flying or shagged and making excuses
    c

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I hope to be on the Studland side around 10am, assuming I can get away. Oldfart will recognise me.

scaredypants

is there anywhere on the sandbanks side that a chap might purchase a fry-up at about 9.00 on a sunday ??

RichPenny
    Free Member

There is a cafe by the ferry terminal. Not sure if they'd be open at that time on a Sunday though.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

I think that cafe will be open, but not sure whether it's a fry-up type cafe or not. Supermarkets will be shut, so that rules them out. Whatever happened to truckers greasy spoons?

scaredypants

relax everyone – I'm not coming

It's the lack of a full-english that was the deal breaker (well, that and the fact that my outlaws are now coming for the day & I'm cooking dinner instead 🙄 )

As you were, & stop thinking up ways to get out of it

elliptic
    Free Member

Just adding my name to the list, I'll see you all at the ferry.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

More the merrier. Anyone else?

9.30 meet, for 10.00 ferry, dont be late.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Just thought I'd interlope here and say have a great time on Sunday. With 2 forum rides this weekend, Sunday and Monday night will be great in terms of seeing everyone's photos 🙂 I think you guys may have the best of the weather but so far we should avoid rain north of the border for most of the time anyway. Fingers crossed.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'd best take my camera then Simon!
    🙂

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

You a definite then Mr Poddy?

leeson
    Free Member

Wife say's parkin is £8.50 over 4 hrs
    Ferry 90p pls 80p for Bike

You could park at the other end of poole bay for free if you want?

it means a 10 minute ride around the bay ( to pose) like all the posers do!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=sandbanks&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=18.566626,39.506836&ie=UTF8&ll=50.704612,-1.940374&spn=0.019379,0.038581&z=15

dorset lakes avenue

just above the b3369 sign.

🙂

cinnamon_girl

Simon – I hope your weekend goes well and that you are being extremely chilled about it all now, please enjoy it!! With group rides, everyone goes along with the attitude that they will enjoy it 😀

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Panorama Road on the peninsula for me, or one of the other roads off of it – even closer

cinnamon_girl

rusty – what's the latest with the waves?

Hairychested
    Free Member

CG, do you need travel sickness pills?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 166 total)

The topic ‘STW Purbecks ride? Anyone interested?’ is closed to new replies.