Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)
  • stw – please stop logging me out
  • Pook

I click ‘remember me’ for a reason. At least make the log in link much bigger. It’s nigh on impossible to get with a smartphone and I’m sick of getting the banner ad instead

GrahamS

Tip 1: most smartphones let you zoom in.

Tip 2: most browsers on smartphones can remember logins for you making logging in a very painless procedure.

But yeah, it’d be nice if “Remember Me” meant “forever on this device” not “for a month or two”

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup, I’ve had similar problems on each of my devices.. MacAir/iPad/iPhone. Have been logged out 4 times in the last couple of days.

Might not be STW, last time I enquired the reason they gave it’s an Apple thingummy they do once a month, 4 times in a few days suggests they could be buggering around with the Interwebz again..

Tsk, Tsk

Rubber_Buccaneer

I click ‘remember me’ for a reason

Yes but ‘they’ want you to remember what the site would be like if you stopped paying your subs 🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

It doesn’t just happen on Apple, I’ve just had to log in to type this reply on my laptop.

fasthaggis

#1StWorldproblem 😛

GrahamS

Yeah always seems to happen at the same time for me, had to log in on the iPhone this morning then again on my desktop when I got to work.

(yes, I know, I spend too much time here)

welshfarmer

logged out on the PC this morning too!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Get logged out about once a month, normal for most websites. Logging in takes under a minute on any device.

GrahamS

Get logged out about once a month, normal for most websites.

Yep, but it should be one month idle (i.e. since your last visit), not one month since you last entered your details even though you actually visited 20 minutes ago.

Cougar

The forum received a minor maintenance upgrade some time last night / this morning which is why you (and everyone else) were logged out.

Bookmark this. It’ll take you to the forum if you’re logged in, and to the advert-free login page if you’re logged out.

singletrackworld.com/wp-login.php?redirect_to=forum/forum/off-topic

Next?

peteimpreza

“last time I enquired the reason they gave it’s an Apple thingummy”

I call BS on this. My work PC logs me out as often as any other device.

The adverts then block the login button………………

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep, but it should be one month idle (i.e. since your last visit), not one month since you last entered your details even though you actually visited 20 minutes ago.

Should it? Works both ways round, just because you use something everyday doesn’t mean logins shouldn’t time out.

GrahamS

Would make more sense to me mike. If I was just using something AND I’ve expressly told it to remember my login then I wouldn’t expect it to time out less than an hour later.

Obviously it’d be different on a website of more consequence (where there probably wouldn’t even be a “Remember Me” option).

Anyway, Cougar says it was maintenance so fair enough.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Logged out a few times a month? I get logged out a few times an hour on my phone.

scotroutes

Aye – I had to log in with both Android phone and PC today. I reckon it’s about monthly which isn’t too much of a problem.

nickjb
    Free Member

just because you use something everyday doesn’t mean logins shouldn’t time out.

Why?

GrahamS

Logged out a few times a month? I get logged out a few times an hour on my phone.

You might want to check the settings for cookies on your phone’s browser.
    Sounds like it is set to either not accept them or delete them automatically.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You might

Yeah, I might… 🙂

Rio

My WordPress “logged in” cookie from STW seems to expire on 10th June, which seems a bit arbitrary if that’s the one that keeps you logged in. Nonetheless I expect to be randomly logged off before then.

btw it’s interesting how STW showers you with advertising cookies even when you’re logged in. I guess “no adverts” doesn’t imply “no tracking by advertisers”!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Is also a pain that the “login” link seems to be about the last thing that gets rendered on the page, making me wait ages for the stupid ads to load, well on an iOS device at least.

scotroutes

nickjb
    Free Member

Bookmark this

Do people still use bookmarks? Is it 2010?

mrblobby
    Free Member

mrblobby » Is also a pain that the “login” link seems to be about the last thing that gets rendered on the page, making me wait ages for the stupid ads to load, well on an iOS device at least.
    Cougar »
    Bookmark this. It’ll take you to the forum if you’re logged in, and to the advert-free login page if you’re logged out.
    singletrackworld.com/wp-login.php?redirect_to=forum/forum/off-topic
    Next?

I do that, but sometimes you just hit refresh on a browser window for some thread you were looking at earlier, only to find you’ve been logged out. So to save having to go back to the main page, hunt through pages of threads for the one you want to read, sometimes you might just hit refresh instead 🙄

footflaps

The forum received a minor maintenance upgrade some time last night / this morning which is why you (and everyone else) were logged out.

How is the Hamster after his hip replacement op?

Cougar

Do people still use bookmarks? Is it 2010?

Clearly not, or we wouldn’t have this conversation every month.

I do that, but sometimes you just hit refresh on a browser window for some thread you were looking at earlier, only to find you’ve been logged out. So to save having to go back to the main page, hunt through pages of threads for the one you want to read, sometimes you might just hit refresh instead

Click the link I posted (or just the Log In link on the page), log in, hit Back, hey presto. No searching involved.

GrahamS

Do people still use bookmarks?

As opposed to what? Telepathy?

nickjb
    Free Member

As opposed to what? Telepathy?

Sort of. Type an S and the browser suggests the most likely web page. For addicts that will be the STW forum home page, and not the work-around log in link. I suppose that might be like telepathy to some 🙂

WackoAK
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

Next?

Can you sort out the posting history to enable you to view from where you last posted? Pretty Please!

CountZero

Is also a pain that the “login” link seems to be about the last thing that gets rendered on the page, making me wait ages for the stupid ads to load, well on an iOS device at least.

Either you have an old iOS device, or you might want to check your internet connection.
    There’s certainly no issue on my pad, and if I need to see the login box a bit more clearly, I double-tap the text area to zoom it out to full page width. Works every time.
    I think I have to log back in about once a month, never bothered to check, it’s such a minor inconvenience, really.

GrahamS

Sort of. Type an S and the browser suggests the most likely web page.

One of the ways it does that accurately is by looking in your bookmarks. 😀

Frankenstein
    Free Member

No probs here on iPhone lol

Cougar

Well, it seems to be substituting punctuation for txtspk, so something’s not right on it.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Serves me right for reading this thread on my iPad, only had to log back in four times so far tonight!

tetchypete
    Free Member

Can you sort out the posting history to enable you to view from where you last posted? Pretty Please!

This ?? please or better still view from your last read post. It’s definitely possible.

maxtorque

nickjb
    Sort of. Type an S and the browser suggests the most likely web page

And that first page suggested is probably Pron. And the second, third, and probably even the forth one coming (pun intended)…….. 🙄

GrahamS

You’re clearly not following a sensible Smutwalling strategy there max.

All one-handed browsing occurs in a completely separate browser with tighter security and Incognito/Private browsing turned on.

DickBarton

I get logged out every 3 to 4 days on all devices I use…they are all set to keep cookies and I also have them set to Remember Me…if it is maintenance that is causing this then the forum is in serious need of replacement as it looks like almost daily that maintenance is happening.

scotroutes

There’s obviously something more specific to your setup involved or the same would be happening to everyone.

bigblackshed

Every device, every time I fire up STW, since last night. Even with Cougars bookmark thingy it’s starting to grate slightly.

My iphone still takes me to the front page after I login, complete with ads, including a large green cover-all ad that I can’t close.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘stw – please stop logging me out’ is closed to new replies.