Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • STW Photography Scavenger Hunt
  • Cougar

Initial post to gauge interest.

I’m proposing starting a photography scavenger hunt for STW members. I need to flesh out a few details, but this is what I’ve got so far.

For the first round, I’ll set say ten “topics” of things to photograph. I’m thinking that these will be fairly ephemeral and open to creative interpretation; so for instance, a topic might be “red” rather than “a Victorian pillar box”.

Players will need to arrange their own hosting, so perhaps create an album for it on Flickr or other site of choice. When all ten are complete, they post the URL on STW where we can discuss. Or alternatively, we could say that URLs are kept private until the closure date.

When the round is closed, we can take a vote on favourites to establish a winner. This is something I need to work out how to do, maybe an online survey or something? Open to suggestions here.

I think I’d quite like it to be as inclusive as possible, so you can take part whether you’ve got a dSLR or an iPhone camera, so I’d suggest when voting to take into consideration more than just technically ‘good’ pictures. I’m thinking that this should be a bit of light-hearted fun rather than an uber-serious willy-waving competition.

The ‘prize’ to the winner will be the obvious fame and glory, and also to get to choose the topics for the next round.

Timescales I’m not sure on. I was thinking of maybe endeavouring to cycle it monthly; so you get three weeks to get out there snapping, a week to collate votes, and a couple of days to get the next round rolling (February excepted). I’m happy to handle the initial admin, but I’m hoping that it’ll be largely self-sufficient once it gets rolling (as I can procrastinate for my country – I’ve been meaning to write this post since the beginning of summer).

Thoughts, feedback, suggestions, anyone? Good idea or a non-starter?

Drac

Did this a few years back with others, most off here, we did a subject and you were allowed to submit three interpretations of the subject. The winner was voted and then they pick the next subject.

It was good fun.

meehaja
    Free Member

I’m in, sounds fun and I need some motivation to start snapping again!

user-removed
    Free Member

Facebook might be the easiest way to host – I’m in a few wedding photographer’s groups which operate much as you describe.

project
    Free Member

Great idea on the day my camera stopsworking , for no reason, starts up , makes bleeps just a blank screen.

Cougar

I waited for you to break your camera especially.

Cougar

(Wow, that was almost a sentence. Ugh.)

steveoath
    Free Member

Sounds like fun, I’m in.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I’m in

Cougar

Voting.

This looks like it might do the job? Can I ask a couple of people to just check that the link works and there’s no showstopping reasons why I shouldn’t use it, please? (The link is a mockup test poll I’ve just rolled)

http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=50e07462e4b04de5024af6d4

Tar.

Might give this a go

fatalbert
    Free Member

Choice 2 wins it hands down for me.

Cougar

(-:

ampthill

We do something similar on a Flickr forum. Although I’m rubbish a the entering. But the format is dead easy

You start a thread say called “Red” photo competion with a closing date.

*decide if photos have to be shot after opening date”

then photos are added to thread

You the comment say at least the top 10. You choose the winner. The winner hosts and judges the next round

lizzz
    Free Member

I like it. I’ll play!

Cougar

*decide if photos have to be shot after opening date”

Yeah, I was going to make that a rule, good point. The whole point is to get people out using their cameras, not wading through their gallery.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Could be good. I’d say go for fewer ‘topics’ though, say 3 or 5. 10 is a bit OTT I think 🙂

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Sounds good to me. 3 Images each would be a good number I think.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

Sounds good… I’d agree 10 could be overkill!

Cougar

Hm. But then, it’s not really a scavenger hunt, it’s, well, something else.

ampthill

Cougar I was thinking 1 idea at a time, but its your baby

Sandwich

Could be fun and I should brush up my camera skills. I’m in.
    Fat Albert, it’s choice one for me all day long!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I like it. I’m shit at photography and will only have a phone camera but it’ll encourage me to try and take some interesting shots while I’m out walking the pooch. Your babette, your rules. Look forward to it getting started. Thanks for thinking of doing something like it.

lodious
    Free Member

Good Idea…i’d be up for it 🙂

Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

I like the idea of this. I am going to try the one photo a day from the other thread too.

Cougar

I’m shit at photography and will only have a phone camera but it’ll encourage me to try and take some interesting shots while I’m out walking the pooch.

Exactly what I wanted to hear. Cool.

Cougar

BTW, what do we think about posting? When ready so we can discuss, or all at the same time?

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Might be interested, but not if its got anything to do with Facebook

Never used it, don’t want to plus their photo hosting arm has had some bad press lately

Cougar

It’s got as much or as little to do with Facebook as you want it to be. Where you host your pics is, frankly, your problem. (-:

I don’t use FB very often, for what it’s worth. Wouldn’t be my first choice.

speckledbob
    Free Member

I like the sound of it. I used to enjoy that weekly that used to go on here. I’m in.

sas
    Free Member

Sounds like a great idea. 10 topics is OK if there’s enough time, though maybe ~4 per month would be better?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m in, however I would like to request fewer than 10 subjects, because I just can’t manage that much time with my camera! I’d prefer just one theme and maybe up to five pictures on that theme…?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

whats the craic?

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘STW Photography Scavenger Hunt’ is closed to new replies.