Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • STW photographers – filter advice please
  • beamers

This is probably going to be question which will cause those that know what they are talking about to hold their heads in their hands, but here goes anyway.

I'm off the Hebrides in the summer time and I'm keen to try and get some long exposure pictures of sunset / rocks / sea.

I had a quick play with filters in the past so I kind of understand the principle of how they work (ish):

What filters should be on my shopping list?

Ta in advance.

.duncan
    Free Member

how many different lenses will you be wanting to use with filters?

beamers

1 or 2

.duncan
    Free Member

same filter thread by any chance?

You've got 2 different options really. Either buying something like a cokin P series kit with different adaptor rings which gives you the scope to get NDs, ND grads and other creative filters as well. Or.. You simply buy a couple of screw on filters. The screw on filters may be cheaper initially but if you wanted to expand to more lenses / get more filters a holder and mount ring system may be better.

grumm
    Free Member

I did some slow shutter speed shots up in the Hebrides a couple of months ago. I used a B+W 10 stop filter in 52mm thread size. You can get step up rings for pretty cheap if you need to use smaller lens thread sizes. Has a bit of an orangey cast to the pics.

Another option is the LIghtcraft fader ND – which ranges from 2-8 stops via a rather funky dial. Not had a chance to use it much yet but it does seem to create some vignetting.

zokes
    Free Member

Firstly, on the evidence of your first shot, I'd get your sensor cleaned 😉

As for filters, if you are serious, the only way is Lee. Yes they are pricey, but they are much more neutral than any other make I've used. It's a slot-in system like the Cokins, so you only need to buy one set of filters, and just get a different adapter ring to make the holder fit on different lenses.

If you're just after slowing things down for movement, then maybe some Hoya screw-in NDs would do you, but anything involving a graduated filter to expose for the sky and the foreground, you really need a slot-in system so you can adjust where the graduation falls…

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

+1 for Cokin, suggest ND + maybe a suitable polarising & some graduated.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Interested in this too…

Am I right in thinking that I need 3 components for the Cokin system:

1) Adapter ring (for 55mm lens thread)
    2) Filter holder
    3) Filter(s)

I'm a bit confused after having a look on Warehouse Express; they sell a wide-angle filter holder which "features a wide range of adaptor rings". Does this mean I can dispense with 1)?

Also, does the wide-angle adapter only accept certain filters, or are the filters universal to the system regardless of the holder?

Thanks,

SC

samuri
    Free Member

Not as far as I'm aware Stuart, the adaptor rings certainly aren't cheap enough to sell in bulk (unless of course you're paying a lot). I think that the wide angle filter holder will *fit* a wide range of adaptor rings, but not necessarily all of them. Your first guess was correct IMO. You need those three components. Might be worth checking though.

I have a wide angle filter holder and it fits the adaptor on my Sigma 10-20 (adaptor about 80mm I think) and the adaptor I have for my 50mm lens which I think is 55mm. The ring of metal on the adaptor is just bigger on the ring with a smaller thread.

edit: And I think the filters are universal .

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Cheers Samuri.

"fits" rather than "features" does make more sense.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘STW photographers – filter advice please’ is closed to new replies.