Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • STW Pewsey Aug 6 ride
  • CountZero

Is it still on? Gilles? Anyone?
    (Metaphorically stands on top of Silbury Hill waving, trying to attract attention). 😛

racefaceec90

hello,i would be interested in going on this ride(i live in devizes).where are you going to ride?(i am unfit though at present,so if i will hold anyone up,i can leave it!!!) 🙂

CountZero

T'was a ride starting from Pewsey led by Gilles, originally down for 28 June, IIRC. resceduled for 9 August. I've not seen any updates lately, so just trying to get some info as to whether it's still going ahead.

racefaceec90

ah!!!i'll have a look at your forum later,when you get a reply!!!would def like to ride with you,if that was ok?

cinnamon_girl

It's in my diary – it HAS to go ahead 😉

cinnamon_girl

raceface – at the back is MY rightful place!

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

If any current or future posters are driving past Andover that can offer me a lift it would be greatley appreciated. Mrs MM has the car that weekend. I can offer petrol money, sweets and cakes. 😉

cinnamon_girl

Should be able to Mulletus but you know what they say about women drivers 😯

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

???

racefaceec90

i apologise cinnamon_girl.would it be alright if i could cycle with you all?as i say,i live in devizes,but could cycle to pewsey.where do you all meet?do not know pewsey that well,(although i did work at the salmon factory,doing agency work.never again!!!)hello mulletus maximus !!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ah…Pewsey….happy memories of a delicatessen's daughter….! 😉

What start time and location? I might be tempted….

captain_bastard
    Free Member

might be able to make it (providing my collar bone get's pinned back together as planned!)

might take it easy if i am back together

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Is this the 6th or 9th? If its Sunday 9th, i'm probably up for it.

Scurries off to look for map to remind himself where Pewsey is.

CountZero

Well, a bunch of people seem to be interested, trouble is we need Gilles 'cos he knows where the flinking blip we should be going, I don't know the Pewsey area at all. Earth calling Gilles, Earth calling Gilles, come in please, over?
    Hi C_G, how are you doing? Looking forward to riding with you, in fact it'll be nice to meet some new faces to ride with. I get bored with me own…

cinnamon_girl

Well, what an eclectic gathering – two Captains and a Count 8)

Does anyone have an email for Gilles?

Cap'n Bastard – you're a local aren't you? Could you take over the helm if needs be?

Of course the legendary Captain Flashheart would do a splendid job of taking charge … but I just get the feeling he is avoiding me 😥

And as for Silbury Hill, can we really launch ourselves off there?

CountZero

And as for Silbury Hill, can we really launch ourselves off there?

Well, I've often looked at it and wondered if it was do-able, but the transition at the bottom's a bit sharp 😯
    You're not s'posed to go up there now, sadly, English Heritage are worried about erosion, though the path up doesn't seem to have changed much in the last 300 years or so, if you look at the old Stuckely engravings. I've been up it, great view, bl00dy windy on the top when I was there. West Kennet Long Barrow's got better views, tho'. Sorry, getting carried away with the local knowledge thing. I'll dig out my OS maps in the meantime and see what's in the area, and mebbie figure out a route with drinkies somewhere, just in case Gilles doesn't return from the saucer where the Greys are holding him for experiments. 😉

gusamc
    Free Member

Hi

is this on and on the 9th ??

email = forumname<aaaa><notcoldmaildotcom>

thanks

CountZero

is this on and on the 9th ??

Umm, well it should be clear from the above posts that as far as we're aware it is but Gilles who originally mooted the ride is currently incommunicado, so all is not certain at the moment. Failing Gilles appearance then between us we're going to try to sort out a route. Please don't ask for further info, just read the whole thread, and you'll see there is none at the moment. Thanks.
    C_g, if you're around, I've found a route around the Pewsey area which might be ok, I'll have a shufti at the 25k OS and see if there's any more interesting stuff to be had. The route I found is about 16 miles.

cinnamon_girl

Count – if Gilles isn't about then there are other areas of Wiltshire to be explored. Might have to ask for more volunteers!

I've done a little bit of riding around the Plain/Chitterne/Stockton Down/Stonehenge including a killer loop from MBR mag a few years ago. Such an under-rated county – love the big skies 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Count – I am happy to help with route recce'ing/suggestions. If you have any gpx routes, that would be useful. E-mail is in my profile, thanks.

CountZero

C_g, I've had an email from Gilles, he's been on holiday, and the ride's still on so I'm relieved of my reluctant duties of leader when I don't know where I'm actually going. Winging it's ok on yer own but not when there's a bunch of others expecting the leader to have a clue. 😳 He should be along some time soon.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Bugger. 6th I could make 9th can't. Maybe next time

cinnamon_girl

Count – good news then! Gives you plenty of time to recce another Wiltshire ride, October could be nice and Autumnal 😉

CountZero

Thanks, yes, I'm a little relieved not to have the responsibility when I don't know the area. I'll bring the map along, there's a ride I do regularly out of Avebury, which can have an extension into Marlborough. The usual one I do is around seventeen miles, and takes in Silbury Hill, The Ridgeway, Fyfield Down, Rockley, Barbury Castle then back onto the Ridgeway. Nice ride, big open views, couple of steepish climbs, tea stop and beer at the end, do-able on a singlespeed.
    You can let me know what you think.

racefaceec90

sounds like the ride i do CountZero,but i cycle on a farm track from devizes to get to the ridgeway(it cuts out the road bit).don't have a ss though 🙂

JoeBones
    Free Member

I had a good wee blast today

cinnamon_girl

Count – yep, sounds good – my singlespeed hasn't visited Wiltshire yet 8)

Do you want to throw up some dates?

CountZero

I would guess probably any Sunday through September into October, really. I don't have any particular commitments. I've had a look at Metcheck, http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/14days.asp?zipcode=SN14%200AP%5D, and it's actually looking fairly positive, so keep your fingers crossed! 8)

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Sounds like one of my local rides as well. Usually start from home, make my way long the Kennet Valley, pick up the cycleway to Swindon then onto the Marlborough Downs at one of the Ogbournes. Do you go up or down Smeath's Ridge?

tootallpaul

I'd be game for a ride- this still planned for the 9th?

I will represent the 29er massive. 🙂

Gilles

Hello,
    just back from holiday in wet North Wales, sorry to not be back ealier. As far as I'm concerned, I'm still going for it and I can lead it as I did offered a while back. The route is as follow:

30k toward 40k if people are happy to carry on a bit further. The date is Sunday the 9th of August (2009) and I believe a start at 10am from the knapp hill car park, SU 116 637 will be good and hopefully not too early? If you bring some food, we can have a quick lunch half way, top of Cherhill down. Depending of the speed, I don't expect to be back to the car park later than 1-1.30pm.

Hope you can all make it!

Cheers,

Gilles

CountZero

Sounds good to me, be nice to ride over different trails. See you there.

cinnamon_girl

Welcome back Gilles, you had us all on tenterhooks 😉

Bad luck with the rain in Wales but hope that it stays away from Wiltshire next weekend.

Are niche bikes allowed? I might have to get a new one!

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

CountZero

Niche is nish. Sorry. Don't tell me, you're getting an off-road unicycle? No? Ok. Anyway, having looked at Gilles route I've decided gears are probably a good idea, now it's just deciding on hardtail or full-sus. Decisions, decisions. 😉

cinnamon_girl

Polite request – could the Wiltshire riders post up on Friday/Saturday with latest info on trail conditions please?

No unicycle Count, just doesn't appeal! Can't even ride with two wheels, let alone one.

racefaceec90

i'm afraid i wont be able to make it on sunday.i haven't ridden my bike,for over 2 weeks(motivation issues!!!).so won't be fit to do the distance.i apologize!!!

Gilles

Weather is improving for the next 3 days, so it should be perfect for Sunday. raceface, the only way to be fit again it's going riding! We are not going to race on that day, so don't be shy!

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Raceface, it's not any further than the ride we did a couple of weeks ago and the speed will probably be slower as well. Come along, you'll be fine.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Raceface, judging by previous get togethers the pace will be pretty slow, so the distance shouldn't be an issue. What better motivation than laughing at mulletus crashing (oh sorry, that was last weekend).

Having had motivation problems myself, one of the better things i did was to go out with this lot, as it opens up a load of new riding opportunities and drags you out of the house on a Sunday morning.

racefaceec90

hello. it's not that i don't want to ride with you all.i've just thought of the distance, to get to pewsey and back (before the ride with all of you.i think it's around 10/12 miles to pewsey from devizes!!!)i'd be dead,by the time we had all finished the ride.i think you were planning on a 20/25 mile route?that is the reason,to be honest. it is so frustrating having this motivational problem,as i really enjoyed the ride,with mulletus maximus,and his friend.but my bike just sits there,gathering dust!!!sorry to have gone on,about my problems(that was what my other forum post was for!!!).but had to tell you all the truth.adam

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘STW Pewsey Aug 6 ride’ is closed to new replies.